Automation: trigger when email arrives.

Options
Marco Govoni
Marco Govoni Member Posts: 150
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes Name Dropper
edited April 24 in Workflow Automation #1

With one my clients, I'm trying to solve this problem. This is the workflow:

• when ad email arrives, the operator create manually contact and deal

I want that: when second email arrives (from the same contact), I have to move the deal to another stage.

I've created a workflow based on:

• trigger = deal updated
  • condition = deal email count = 1

But it doesn't work :-( Any suggestions?

(later I will share this project in this community!)

Comments

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,531
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited May 2020 #2
    Options

It should work.

But check what the deal email count is after you create the deal based on the first email.

Pipedrive could be counting the first email too.

Can you share a screenshot of the condition and the action?

• Marco Govoni
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

Hi @Amit Sarda ! Here you can find:

• Automation workflow (very simple.. when email arrive, I want to move deal from one stage to another)
    • screenshot: before email arrives (count = 0) and after (count = 1) but deal doesn't move.

I think the problem is in condition so the automation doesn't start. @Nuno Oliveira 

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,531
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited May 2020 #4
    Options

• Automation workflow (very simple.. when email arrive, I want to move deal from one stage to another)
    • screenshot: before email arrives (count = 0) and after (count = 1) but deal doesn't move.

I think the problem is in condition so the automation doesn't start. @Nuno Oliveira 

You're right.

The automation should 'watch' the 'deal emails count' 'has changed' event. 

• Marco Govoni
    edited May 2020 #5
    Options

yes but... nothing happens :-(

• Marco Govoni
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

Maybe @Nuno Oliveira or @Inês Batata can help me .. :-(

• Vengat Krishnaraj
    Vengat Krishnaraj Member Posts: 13
    First Comment Integration Partner
    edited April 2022 #7
    Options

Hey @Marco Govoni ,

Have you considered using Klenty for this purpose? 

Klenty is an email automation tool that helps the sales team send personalized emails and automate follow-up at scale. It has seamless integration with Pipedrive with which you can create automated workflows to import contacts from Pipedrive to Klenty and start/stop campaigns for them automatically. 

Using Klenty’s ‘Triggers & Actions' you will be able to create advanced workflows like creating a new lead or moving a deal to a new stage, etc in Pipedrive automatically based on the triggers in Klenty like email opens, clicks, replies etc.

Do check out Klenty in the marketplace and read our user reviews:

https://marketplace.pipedrive.com/app/klenty/4ea6d81e4599a462

Hope this helps you.

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2020 #8
    Options

Maybe @Nuno Oliveira or @Inês Batata can help me .. :-(

Hi @Marco Govoni !

I'm testing with a slightly different condition that I think should be more accurate and am discussing with @Nuno Oliveira if and how this is possible. I'll keep you posted as soon as I have more news, as I'm still figuring out some aspects. 🙂

• Marco Govoni
    edited February 2022 #9
    Options

@Inês Batata @Nuno Oliveira probably I've found the reason why it doesn't work.

The problem isn't the automation, it's correct. I've noticed that if I change MANUALLY a field in the deal (for example the name, or another one, it's not important, so I can change one letter of the title), when I press "Save", automation STARTS and WORK.

So, I think the problem is that automation doesn't analyze the trigger "Deal email counts" UNTIL I modify and save it (no matter which field i change).

But the question is: this behavior is as expected or is an issue ?! :-)

I hope I have explained myself well :-)

• Inês Batata
    edited May 2020 #10
    Options

The problem isn't the automation, it's correct. I've noticed that if I change MANUALLY a field in the deal (for example the name, or another one, it's not important, so I can change one letter of the title), when I press "Save", automation STARTS and WORK.

So, I think the problem is that automation doesn't analyze the trigger "Deal email counts" UNTIL I modify and save it (no matter which field i change).

Hi @Marco Govoni ! Thank you for your patience. 

So @Nuno Oliveira  and I have done some investigation and testing and indeed fields that are updated automatically (as is the case of the email counter) don't act as triggers for automations - only fields that result from manual changes do. We designed it this way to protect the system from overload.

This is to say that your hunch is correct and it's expected behaviour of the tool, so you'll need to make your automation dependent on an additional manual update to have it run when the email counter reaches a certain number, like for example the deal being moved to a certain stage of the pipeline.

Thank you once again, hope this helps you! 🚀

• Marco Govoni
    edited May 2020 #11
    Options

Thanks for your answer :-)

• Oliver Wright_6431
    Oliver Wright_6431 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #12
    Options

Hi @Inês Batata and @Marco Govoni,  apologies for hi-jacking this thread but I had a related point. 

I want to try do something similar and move a deal on to a new stage. I'm very new to pipdrive and had a few questions:

1. Would this be better to do it from a person to update a deal or include the fields on the deal
    2. Could this be done by a regular import e.g. the person or deal field updates via an import and the automation kicks in and moves it to another stage. I wasn't sure if this would count as an 'automatic update'
  • Inês Batata
    edited June 2020 #13
    Options

Hi @Inês Batata and @Marco Govoni,  apologies for hi-jacking this thread but I had a related point. 

I want to try do something similar and move a deal on to a new stage. I'm very new to pipdrive and had a few questions:

1. Would this be better to do it from a person to update a deal or include the fields on the deal
    2. Could this be done by a regular import e.g. the person or deal field updates via an import and the automation kicks in and moves it to another stage. I wasn't sure if this would count as an 'automatic update'

Hi @Oliver Wright , happy to see you join the discussion!

Imports don't trigger automations, so that wouldn't be the best option. If you want to trigger a "bulk automation" you can still import your data and then I'd advise you to do a bulk-edit to those items using the List View - the bulk edit will trigger the automation (as long as it matches its trigger condition). Check out the quick Workflow Automation course in Pipedrive Academy right here.

I'm not sure I understood this part of your question, can you please give us some more details? "Would this be better to do it from a person to update a deal or include the fields on the deal"

• Rebecca Molstad
    Rebecca Molstad Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2021 #14
    Options

Are there any plans to change this behavior when the trigger is email count? The email count trigger is not useful at all without it.

• Inês Batata
    edited September 2020 #15
    Options

Hi @Rebecca Molstad !

We do have plans to add more types of triggers into the next version of Workflow Automation but at the moment I can't promise that a trigger for email count will be one of them. As priorities and resource allocations for development have to be distributed, unfortunately not everything can be built or at least built in the near future. That being said, we appreciate your input and use it to give our teams thinking points to be considered in the future.

One thing is sure, when they go live we'll make sure to make noise about them here in the community, as we're developing a lot of exciting new possibilities for users.

Here’s how to stay on top of what’s coming down the line:

• Unassigned Deals
    Unassigned Deals Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2022 #16
    Options

Hi,

I am dealing with the same issue. Looks like a bug - tried different ways to count email (">0", "=>1", "!=0") but nothing triggers action. Any updates from Pipedrive on this?

• Clarissa Silvino
    Clarissa Silvino Pipedrive Team Posts: 80 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Comment Pipedrive Team
    edited October 2020 #17
    Options

Hi,

I am dealing with the same issue. Looks like a bug - tried different ways to count email (">0", "=>1", "!=0") but nothing triggers action. Any updates from Pipedrive on this?

Hello @Unassigned Deals , thank you for joying here and for the feedback. Unfortunately this is not possible yet as our automation feature doesn't trigger with the count email as being a condition. As it is not a real action, our system doesn't recognise it as an update .

Nonetheless our team is aware.of this and we'll be working to have it available as soon as possible, but we cannot give you any ETA.

• Unassigned Deals
    edited February 2022 #18
    Options

Hi Clarissa,

I was afraid of that kind answer. Would great in the meantime not have this condition listed in the UI because we are waisting a lot of time figuring out why things don't work.

Thanks.

• Unassigned Deals
    edited February 2022 #19
    Options

Related to the above, the Deal Activity Count (condition "is not 0") doesn't seem to work either, even if you create a real activity manually. Can you please confirm if it supposed to work? Thanks a lot.

• Clarissa Silvino
    Clarissa Silvino Pipedrive Team Posts: 80 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Comment Pipedrive Team
    edited October 2020 #20
    Options

Hi Clarissa,

I was afraid of that kind answer. Would great in the meantime not have this condition listed in the UI because we are waisting a lot of time figuring out why things don't work.

Thanks.

Hey @Unassigned Deals,  of course, and we're super thankful for the feedback. 

If you allow me to shed some light with you on this matter, the reason why it is available is because you can use those fields as a filter condition: not as being the only one as it will not trigger the automation by itself, but combined with others it might be useful for other users end goal. 

We do try to be as open as possible and matched everybodies expectations - although sometimes it's not possible, but we're glad to hear all feedback possible.

• Unassigned Deals
    edited October 2020 #21
    Options

Hi Clarissa,

Thanks.

Got it! Thanks for the clarification Clarissa. I am thinking if I can actually leverage the filter by combining it with something else to do what we need.

Cheers!

• Marcelo Silva
    Marcelo Silva Member Posts: 243
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2020 #22
    Options

@Marco Govoni experimente criar um Filtro de Negócio

Em que ele te mostre negócios em X etapas que tenham mais de 2 emails.

E utilize este filtro como condição para o gatilho de Negócio atualizado

Eu criei algo assim para um cliente.

Recomendo que experimente o Lemlist, seus clientes e você vão gostar :D

Forte abraço do Brasil meu amigo!

• Inês Batata
    edited October 2020 #23
    Options

Related to the above, the Deal Activity Count (condition "is not 0") doesn't seem to work either, even if you create a real activity manually. Can you please confirm if it supposed to work? Thanks a lot.

Hi @Unassigned Deals !

Fields that are updated automatically (as is the case of the activity counter) don't act as triggers for automations - only fields that result from manual changes do. We designed it this way to protect the system from overload.

It's expected behaviour of the tool, so you'll need to make your automation dependent on an additional manual update to have it run when the activity counter reaches a certain number, like for example the deal being moved to a certain stage of the pipeline.

Thank you once again, hope this helps you! 🚀

If you need any further help with this, the most adequate and efficient channel of communication is our Support team, who will advise you and help you troubleshoot: How can I contact Pipedrive Support?

• Rob Berman
    Rob Berman Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2022 #24
    Options

There is a workaround for this. 

1. Create a filter  that uses 'Email message count' to get the list of deals with the desired number of emails.
    2. Use Zapier to trigger an action based on this filter.
  • Ahmed-Zeus
    Ahmed-Zeus Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Hi @Rob Berman

Could you please elaborate further on How Zapier can trigger the action?

Thank you :)

• Rob Berman
    Rob Berman Member Posts: 4
    Options

First, create a filter in pipedrive that matches the criteria you are looking for. The create a zap like this in zapier

• Ahmed-Zeus
    Ahmed-Zeus Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Thank you! Very much appreciated

This discussion has been closed.