🧨 Double Opt In Webform for Campaigns

Markus Funk
Markus Funk Member Posts: 111
First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Hi there, 

I think a really useful add on for campaigns would be to have a double opt in webform - like there is / was in mailigen. For us this is a must since in the DACH area you can't go without it. Neither PD Webforms nor CAMPAIGNS offers a GDR compliant registration webform. Could you please prioritize this feature? 

35 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Janis Rozenblats
    Janis Rozenblats Posts: 169 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited July 2022 #2

Hi @Markus Funk, thanks for your feedback.
    Yes, we are well aware of the requirements and are working on 1. the double opt-in solution itself; 2. improving PD webforms to have an option to enable single / double opt-in, so all contacts coming through the form are automatically subscribed.

We are aiming at October month tho have this functionality in place. 

Do you expect to send double opt-in requests to all contacts coming through web forms or would you be also using a single opt-in method?

• Markus Funk
    edited March 2022 #3

Yes, we are well aware of the requirements and are working on 1. the double opt-in solution itself; 2. improving PD webforms to have an option to enable single / double opt-in, so all contacts coming through the form are automatically subscribed.

Do you expect to send double opt-in requests to all contacts coming through web forms or would you be also using a single opt-in method?

Hi Janis, 

thank's for the quick reply👍 This feature will be needed for a special purpose only. A webform explicit made for signing up for a newsletter. 

Also I would like to send that out on a regular basis to have  address "cold contact" to see wether or not they are still interested in receiving information (contacts data base Management) A single opt-in method would be useful to get consent e.g. for downloading a whitepaper or similar purposes.

• Janis Rozenblats
    edited March 2022 #4

Thanks for the input Markus. 
    I'm glad you raised the 2nd point about verifying interest from cold contacts. 
    This we also plan to tackle, but it won't be possible through Campaigns directly, but through your own email outbox. 
    As Campaigns is permission-based email marketing tool, we can't allow cold emails even the interest confirming cold emails to be sent through our infrastructure as that is a high risk to the service quality. Instead, we plan to provide a method for you as PD user to send emails to cold contacts via your email outbox and get the consent of interest. Would that work for you?

• Bernd Auer
    Bernd Auer Member Posts: 344
    edited July 2022 #5

Hi,

I just can agree with @Markus Funk . This is urgently needed! 

The minimum requirement is a link which can be sent e.g.  via an automation to a certain email address. And if the owner of this address clicks on it, his marketing status switches to "subscribed". 

But of course a fully working double opt in integrated to the webforms additionally would be better. For example a 3rd blocktype...

Besides that: Great Add On!!! I played around and we will send our first newsletter today!! :-)

• Janis Rozenblats
    edited March 2022 #6

Hi,

I just can agree with @Markus Funk . This is urgently needed! 

The minimum requirement is a link which can be sent e.g.  via an automation to a certain email address. And if the owner of this address clicks on it, his marketing status switches to "subscribed". 

But of course a fully working double opt in integrated to the webforms additionally would be better. For example a 3rd blocktype...

Besides that: Great Add On!!! I played around and we will send our first newsletter today!! :-)

Thank you @Bernd Auer for the input. 
    Munching on the feedback, music to my ears. We are on the right path it seems. Integrating all parts of Pipedrive tools is quite challenging, but we are working on the things you mentioned. After all the summer vacations I believe the team will pick up a good development pace. 

Good luck with the campaign! Exciting times ahead.

• Markus Funk
    edited March 2022 #7

Hi Janis, sure that would work too. The sooner the better. But what I meant was. I  do have contacts the we had email contact to but not within the last 6 months ( as an example). I would like to reactivate these with a campaign. The are not cold contacts  as if we would speak of contacts that have never been contacted before, but contacts that haven’t reacted in a certain period of time.  

• Janis Rozenblats
    edited March 2022 #8

OK got it. Sounds good, will take this in as an input.

• marketing.int@2b-advice.com
    marketing.int@2b-advice.com Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2022 #9

I vote "please" for this as well! Loved the concept of the mailigen double opt-in approach. 

• Marcus Belke
    Marcus Belke Member Posts: 16
    5 Likes First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2022 #10

Hi, I think this would work, but a better or additional approach would be to let them be able to sign up again via the webform with a double opt in, which is something not working right now. 

• Marcus Belke
    edited May 2022 #11

Do you have a date for the Double Opt In features. October has been a while?

• Aleksandrs Vilums
    Aleksandrs Vilums Posts: 22
    Photogenic First Anniversary Pipedrive Team
    edited May 2022 #12

Hi @Marcus Belke 

1st version of Double opt-in solution we're releasing this month. If you don't mind, we would like to invite you to usability testing.

Kind,
    Aleksandrs

• Markus Funk
    edited May 2022 #13

Could you please invite me as well? I brought it up and I really need to have that running..like all the other users in the DACH area.

Regards, 

Markus

• Aleksandrs Vilums
    edited May 2022 #14

Thank you! We added in invitation list. 

• Markus Funk
    edited May 2022 #15

Did you add me as well? Please.... :-)

• Marcus Belke
    edited July 2022 #16

Hi, there is a double opt in feature now but for Germany it is insufficient Since the integration in webforms is missing. If somebody signs up for information of any kind you have to make sure this person really requested the information and that it is not a third party that filed and sent the form. This is not only for newsletters. It is not so much about privacy but the UWG. We peovided additional info absout the legal situation via support.  So every new person signing up via a webform has to get the Double Opt in email. This could be achived by optimizing the marketing status field function or by evolving the workflow features sonthat it triggers the double opt in, when somebody signs up. The manual double ipt in feature implemented doesn‘t do much since the timing between between receiving the webform and sending out the request for DOI   doesn‘t work. If we send the double opt in out hours after somebody filled the webform, we loose the customer most of the time. Following the announcement above we promised our sales and marketing team now since last September that this coming, the manual trigger of a DOI was commented to be insufficent and useless. What is the plan here, this is relevant for at least all German PD customers. And it seems we are only a very small step away from a solutiin. 

• Aleksandrs Vilums
    edited July 2022 #17

Hi, Marcus

Thank you for your feedback! 

First version of the double opt-in solution was as MVP. We implemented:

• email sending infra. 
    • new marketing status "Pending consent" and alignment with existing marketing statuses 
    • consent saving
    • DOI subscribed contacts filtering
    • option to send opt-in request one by one in specific product language
    • DOI contacts as mandatory

Opt-in requests from email sending infra. should be sent in less than a few minutes. In case the email sent is delayed, let our support know and our Email Delivery Team will investigate the issue.

About the 2nd DOI version we are aware of. We will merge existing DOI solutions with webforms according to feedback and next features backlog priorities. But first we need to do research, gathering feedback from Campaign users and looking into complexity/scope merging DOI with webforms. We cannot promise DOI web forms to be released this year.

We're open for any additional feedback and suggestions, e.g. what kind of consent proof should be saved when users subscribe through website DOI webform.

Kind,
    Aleksandrs

• LauraLachnerDG3
    LauraLachnerDG3 Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

Hi Aleksandrs,

great to hear that you are working on an automated DOI solution. I line up with my German colleagues that really needed that function.

• option to send opt-in request one by one in specific product language

--> My question to this topic: When will it be possible to adjust the mail text of the Double Opt-In request? Unfortunately, the default text does not really match our tone of voice.

• Christian Duval_88300
    Christian Duval_88300 Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2023 #19

Hi,

In Canada, double opt-in is mandatory. Our clients want to use Pipedrive Campaign but they can't because the double opt-in feature is not "ready". How can we automatically trigger the double opt-in request when a new contact subscribes to the newsletter? (We need to send a double opt-in request to all new subscribers). Doing it manually is a non-sense and we need to send a double opt-in request as soon as someone signs up for the newsletter, not the next day... 

Any recommendation or idea to achieve this ?

Thank you !

• Pipedrive User 164
    Pipedrive User 164 Member Posts: 171
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Likes
    edited July 2023 #20

Your post made me want to learn a bit about your situation in Canadia, eh. Am I interpreting this attached story properly that double opt in actually isn’t mandatory so long as they have given express consent that can be verified in other ways? https://www.randallcraig.com/casl-double-opt-in-is-not-express-consent/

• Christian Duval_88300
    Christian Duval_88300 Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2023 #21

Thank you for your answer @Brad Krause_65956 . To be honest, it's hard to answer your question correctly... it seems that it's very difficult to get an official version from the government or the agencies that govern the c-28 law. Basically, we can't send an email to someone who hasn't given us their consent... nonsense in my opinion. Unfortunately many of my clients take this very (too) seriously. 

Sometimes I lose deals with potential clients if I don't offer double opt-in solutions... 

• Dom_79187
    Dom_79187 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #22

Is it possible or will it be possible to automate the double-opt in email based on form submissions, e.g. - newsletter subscription? I find it surprising this isn't possible as it's necessary for GDPR. Perhaps I am overlooking something here?

Thanks

• seneca68
    seneca68 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Hello everyone,

I would like to join the discussion and ask that you also add the option of having the DOI sent automatically. Do I have to do something for it?

Greetings from Frankfurt

• Kreete K
    Kreete K Pipedrive Team Posts: 354 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2023 #24

Hi @Dom_79187

Currently, it is not possible to send out DOI emails automatically or based on form submissions. However, this is something our team is already investigating further to understand how to best implement it. You can keep an eye also on this thread where it has been discussed.

• Pascal
    Pascal Member Posts: 4
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

Hello,

+1 here. It is currently not possible to legally use campaigns within the EU for B2C.

And here is why. GDPR currently states:

1. Any user has to manually accept the privacy t&c in a form (I used the ugly workaround with a custom field to do so)
    2. Then a Double-op-in Mail has to be sent out immidiately
    3. After Opt-in you can set the status to "Opt-in" and "Subscribed" - Legally no B2C contact within the EU can be "Subscribed" and at the same time "no DOI-consent". That's just not possible. You need to adjust here to do business with any company following the EU-GDPR guidelines.

Also: It can't be seriously a manual job (just think of 20k sign ups per month). If it is to complicated to implement in Campaigns or webforms - just allow a "DOI send Workflow"...

We tried to work around it and send the Opt-in ouselves and set the DOI status via API - not possible. So we can't get an optin for existing users that we want to transfer to Pipedrive as well. This is quite annoying.

Please priorotize this if you want the great campaigns feature to be used. More information can be found here https://audienceserv.com/blog/email-marketing-gdpr/

Cheers,

Pascal

• monocle
    monocle Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

i would also like to know if there are any updates on this, as of now since there is no way to automate sending the double opt in, no way to mark opted in from form even with a consent checkbox explicitly marked, we are having to manually send opt ins. i tried using Zapier and other tools like that to send the opt in message automatically but nothing will do, and there is no way to update a person with double opt in triggers...

this is needed to manage clients properly and in line with GDPR, but also not to have tons of more manual work!

thanks!

• Markus Funk

Hi @Aleksandrs Vilums,

we are waiting for a DACH / GDPR compliant solution for campaigns since AUGUST 2021. Without the mentioned features, your DACH customers can't use this feature. Since it is a feature the user hast to pay for, PD should have a great interest in getting this done. Otherwise you won't sell that any more / loose the already singned up users in the region. SO PLEASE GIVE AN ANSWER WHEN OR IF this will happen.

• Donald Duck
    Donald Duck Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2023 #29

Hi @Kreete K Since it has been a while since you replied, is there any outcome or update about the team's invenstigation? From my point of view, this is a must-have feature for a tool that provides marketing automation.

• Kreete K
    Kreete K Pipedrive Team Posts: 354 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2023 #30

Hi @Donald Duck

Currently, you can set up a flow where a customer will register via our Web Form and agrees to receive newsletters, so they will be automatically counted as "Subscribed". After the sign-up, a Lead/Deal is created in Pipedrive, that can trigger an automated Campaign set up with our Workflow automations feature. You can learn some more in our KB articles about Campaigns feature in general and automated campaigns. They cover how to ask for Marketing status permission and set up a Campaign automation.