Tasks & Activities

I searched and didn't find an answer so I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

I'm just getting started with Projects and see there are both "Tasks" and "Activities" in a Project. I'm familiar with Activities, but I'm getting stumped on Tasks. I can see you can:

• Create a Task
  • Assign it to someone and
  • Give it a due date.

But...

• How does the person know?
  • How do they see all the tasks they have due on a certain date outside of scanning the whole project?

Essentially, what is the purpose of a Task? It seems like the main difference between a Task and an Activity is that Activities get scheduled on someone's calendar and Tasks don't. If we want both to get done, I'm not sure why I would use a Task.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Vaughan

Best Answer

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Posts: 4,389 PIPEDRIVE PRODUCT MANAGER
    2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Likes First Answer
    #2 Answer ✓

Hi @Vaughan Moore

Thank you for your question.

We're currently working on notifications for tasks so hopefully it goes live soon! You're right that at the moment the task only remains in the project but we're also planning a list where they will come together for you to understand all work that still needs to be done across multiple projects.

The main idea around tasks and activities is that activities are for those scheduled blocks of times that often involve others like meetings, lunches, presentations etc.. These should be in the calendar, potentially sync to your external calendar and block of a part of your day.

Then there are those to-do's that don't necessarily need a due date or owner but just need to get done as the project progresses and shouldn't fill up/block your calendar. For this you can use tasks.

Our users are using both depending on the situation but you're right that with our new entity "task" we can improve how we communicate them to our users in the app or via notifications.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be improving it over time 🚀

Answers

• @Mike van der Valk Thanks so much! This is a brilliant idea! My main struggle with other tools like Asana or Clickup is that everything is either a task and can't be put on a calendar easily or an activity and it fills up my calendar with stuff that might get done (or not...). I love the distinction you've made here and look forward to how you display tasks to be done to users in the future!

• Mike van der Valk

Glad to hear that @Vaughan Moore and stay tuned for more!

• Is Tasks planning to be rolled out to non-Project aspects of Pipedrive? Prior to the new Projects roll out, I often found myself working on a Deal with others in my team, and wanting to create a "task" for another user that isn't really an Activity as PD defines it. Would love to be able to use Tasks with Deals and Leads and Contacts.

• Mike van der Valk

Hi @Jon Waters

Currently this is not in the plan but I'll note down your feedback and discuss with other stakeholders here internally 🙏🏻