Tasks & Activities

Options
Vaughan Moore
Vaughan Moore Member Posts: 4
5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

I searched and didn't find an answer so I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

I'm just getting started with Projects and see there are both "Tasks" and "Activities" in a Project. I'm familiar with Activities, but I'm getting stumped on Tasks. I can see you can:

• Create a Task
  • Assign it to someone and
  • Give it a due date.

But...

• How does the person know?
  • How do they see all the tasks they have due on a certain date outside of scanning the whole project?

Essentially, what is the purpose of a Task? It seems like the main difference between a Task and an Activity is that Activities get scheduled on someone's calendar and Tasks don't. If we want both to get done, I'm not sure why I would use a Task.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Vaughan

Best Answer

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,078 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Vaughan Moore

Thank you for your question.

We're currently working on notifications for tasks so hopefully it goes live soon! You're right that at the moment the task only remains in the project but we're also planning a list where they will come together for you to understand all work that still needs to be done across multiple projects.

The main idea around tasks and activities is that activities are for those scheduled blocks of times that often involve others like meetings, lunches, presentations etc.. These should be in the calendar, potentially sync to your external calendar and block of a part of your day.

Then there are those to-do's that don't necessarily need a due date or owner but just need to get done as the project progresses and shouldn't fill up/block your calendar. For this you can use tasks.

Our users are using both depending on the situation but you're right that with our new entity "task" we can improve how we communicate them to our users in the app or via notifications.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be improving it over time 🚀

Answers

• Vaughan Moore
    Vaughan Moore Member Posts: 4
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

@Mike van der Valk Thanks so much! This is a brilliant idea! My main struggle with other tools like Asana or Clickup is that everything is either a task and can't be put on a calendar easily or an activity and it fills up my calendar with stuff that might get done (or not...). I love the distinction you've made here and look forward to how you display tasks to be done to users in the future!

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Glad to hear that @Vaughan Moore and stay tuned for more!

• Jon Waters
    Jon Waters Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

Is Tasks planning to be rolled out to non-Project aspects of Pipedrive? Prior to the new Projects roll out, I often found myself working on a Deal with others in my team, and wanting to create a "task" for another user that isn't really an Activity as PD defines it. Would love to be able to use Tasks with Deals and Leads and Contacts.

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Jon Waters

Currently this is not in the plan but I'll note down your feedback and discuss with other stakeholders here internally 🙏🏻

• Shaun O'Keefe
    Shaun O'Keefe Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Hi @Mike van der Valk

Can you please update on when the Task List feature will be ready to roll? Projects is amazing, but with the number of projects I have I'm getting lost with what tasks to complete for each project and when they need to get done.

It would be great to have a central Task List where all tasks assigned to me, from all projects are presented in order of Due Date. Keeps things simple - I can just run down my list, do the tasks and all projects overall will get completed. One bite at a time.

Am I describing the functionality of the Task List correctly, Mike?

Thanks,

Shaun

• AJ Willoughby
    AJ Willoughby Member Posts: 10
    5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

Yes! I have the same issue for my team and would love to know how soon we can see this. When will this feature be coming?

AJ

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Shaun O'Keefe and @AJ Willoughby

Our team is currently working on it. In January we should hopefully launch it. Thank you for your patience 🙏🏻

• Shaun O'Keefe
    Options

Hi @Mike van der Valk,

Well you've just made my year! 🙏🏼

This one thing alone will increase overall productivity using Projects ...not to mention relieve that feeling of "where am I? and what should I be doing next?"

Great work Mike & Team!

Shaun

• Christian Ayala
    Christian Ayala Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Happy New Year @Mike van der Valk

Do we have an estimated release date for the task list? Also, will subtasks be included?

While on the topic of Subtasks, are there any plans to make them required before the main task can be marked as done?

Thank you!

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Christian Ayala at the moment the required part isn't in the plans but I noted it down. If all goes well towards the end of this month/beginning of the next the task list including sub-tasks should go live :)

• Christian Ayala
    Christian Ayala Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Awesome. Thank you!

• Chad Stewart_45924
    Options

This would be helpful as we spend days redoing all our templates and projects, removing all the Project Tasks and replacing with an Activity we called "Task" so we could see it on our main activities to-do list...😅

Now if only we could Automate task into the correct Phase or Groups, but all Automation into our projects is only showing in the Phase Unassigned area.. hmmm.

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Chad Stewart_45924

We're getting closer and finishing up the final things around the task list. In the meantime, if you use the templates and in there assign the tasks and activities in the correct phases then you can use these templates in the workflow automation too and they should not be in the unassigned phase.

• John Lyder
    John Lyder Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Totally support you there! It is really strange to have a Project Management tool where you cannot filter unfinished tasks. Seems everything but logic...

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi All,

The task list view has gone live last week, have fun!

• Chad Stewart_45924
    Chad Stewart_45924 Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 2023 #18
    Options

My activities list does not seem to look any different. What changed?

Don't see any project tasks in any list yet in my account.

(and I have cleared cache, signed out, signed back in )

• AJ Willoughby
    Options

@Mike van der Valk Super excited, but, I'm not finding this view either. Where do we find it?

• AJ Willoughby
    Options

@Mike van der Valk Thank you for the task list, finally found it. However, the Task list is in a separate area from the activities list. Do we not have one general area to find a list of all of these together? Having our team go back and forth looking at two different todo lists is not very practical. Is there a way to see these two lists in the same place as a combined list?

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @AJ Willoughby currently we unfortunately can't combine them. Tasks are only available on Projects in Pipedrive and has other data than activities. In this case it's not possible to technically combine them in one list unfortunately at this moment in time. But I do get your point, I'll discuss with the team but for now they are in the projects area.

• Chad Stewart_45924
    Options

We just stop using Projects tasks completely, changed any open tasks to activities, and have an activity type of "task" that we use on the project.

This way everything shows up on a To Do list and has a person assigned to it.. Boom. done. Everything on one big list.

• Shaun O'Keefe
    Options

Could you also have one big task in a project along with activities to keep everything in the same project record, and attached to the Deal?

Regards,

Shaun

• Josh Cohagen
    Josh Cohagen Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

Howdy @Mike van der Valk Just checking back in on the Task Notifications since I haven't seen a follow-up on this in a while. Any progress on notifying users when Tasks are assigned or transferred?

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Josh Cohagen

Whenever you get a task assigned to you or you assign the task back to someone else then these notifications should appear. If they don't then please reach out to our support team. Also, we released the task list view a few weeks ago where you can see all tasks assigned to you.

• Chad Stewart_45924
    Options

Does this apply to activities? or just project tasks?

We stopped using project tasks as was not showing up in the main actives list that we use for company wide todo list... The Project task list was ok, but without the ability for it to be all in on list with all the activities it wasn't very relevant for our team.

• whitsandiego
    whitsandiego Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

We would love tasks to be available from the mobile phone. Especially being able to assign someone a task from the app. Also it would be great if we could assign tasks not related to a project.

• SamSam
    SamSam Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    Options
  • Christoph Reckinger
    Options

Hey @Mike van der Valk

Are you considering upgrading the activities feature in the mobile to include project fearures?

The app should allow to create a new activity and assign it to a running project, in my opinion. At the moment, oke can only assign to leads and deals. That would be a very important usecase for us.

best,

cr

• Mike van der Valk
    Options

Hi @Christoph Reckinger I have recently switched teams inside Pipedrive and am therefore not on the Projects add-on anymore. However, I've notified our team working on the Projects functionality to take a look at your request. I know it's currently not in the immediate plans but hopefully we can consider it for the future.