pipedrive zapier problem: hidden BCCs emails trigger too many "updated contact" -- need "updated con

John Rogers
John Rogers Member Posts: 4
edited June 2022 in Apps and Integrations #1

Hi guys/gals, 
Your Zapier integration allows a useful "updated contact" feature. Unfortunately a contact is considered updated even if they receive a BCC email (e.g., through the hidden BCC feature or otherwise). This makes the feature basically unusable since it generates too many "updated contact" events -- when in fact we only need an "updated contact info" event. 

Can you fix this by either: 
(1) changing the Zapier integration to NOT consider a contact updated if all that happened was a new email received, OR 
(2) add an additional Zapier trigger "Updated Contact Info" which only refers to actual contact information fields for that person being changed (not including received emails etc etc). 

I know (2) may require two timestamps in the database to track both of these events but otherwise it is not really feasible to use pipedrive as the primary source of information/contacts etc. (1) is a cleaner solution -- but may impact people that want to see the "Update time" change also when the contact receives an email. I suspect not many do. If you can think of another solution also please let us know.

thanks!

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited February 2022 #2

Hi @John Rogers 

Thanks for sharing. Passing it along here. However, the Zapier integration is build by Zapier so it can also be a suggestion to their team.

Also, I'm not a super big expert myself but after the Zap triggers, can't you add a filter that it only passes through and performs the zap if fields were updated?

• John Rogers
    edited May 2020 #3

Hi @John Rogers 

Thanks for sharing. Passing it along here. However, the Zapier integration is build by Zapier so it can also be a suggestion to their team.

Also, I'm not a super big expert myself but after the Zap triggers, can't you add a filter that it only passes through and performs the zap if fields were updated?

Unfortunately the solution you propose doesn't work since the Zap does not provide the previous values to compare against. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #4

@Paulo any brilliant ideas??

• John Rogers
    edited May 2020 #5

Hi @John Rogers 

Thanks for the try to help. To further add to this: updating the contact timestamp every time a hidden BCC email goes out also destroys the ability to track the latest contacts in pipedrive itself -- e.g., by sorting in the contacts list by "updated" timestamps etc. 

I guess what I am saying is that including BCC events in updating timestamps for contacts generates so much noise that the updated timestamp becomes virtually useless for most purposes. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #6

Hi @John Rogers 

Thanks for clarifying @John Rogers passed it along to our responsible teams to review!

• Paulo_82
    Paulo_82 Posts: 4 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Comment Pipedrive Team
    edited February 2022 #7

Hey there @John Rogers  I'm thinking in a couple of solutions here, but you need to trigger no matter what is the update in the contact info? Or just in a specific info updated? 

• John Rogers
    edited May 2020 #8
    Paulo said:

Hey there @John Rogers  I'm thinking in a couple of solutions here, but you need to trigger no matter what is the update in the contact info? Or just in a specific info updated? 

Whatever is easier for you guys. But ideally we need the trigger to update for email and any name changes. I believe 99% of your customers will want at least this also.

But definitely not on BCC emails ... 

Right now we are doing a very convoluted setup with some flags in pipedrive etc etc which still requires manual intervention etc etc. 

• Josh Levitt
    Josh Levitt Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022 #9

Same issue here with updates creating a massive amount of zap triggers which burn through my monthly available tasks unnecessarily. Any new ideas or updates?