Private calandar events are free for everyone to see

Robo_3058
Robo_3058 Posts: 12

Hello

Today we were testing calendar sync option and were very surprised when all of the events (INCLUDING PRIVATE ONES) were synced and diplayed to everyone in the organization.

After checking with support, I was told that this is a normal funcionality and not a error as I thought. I was very surprised by this answer, since this is not a very privacy, gdpr friendly way of handling this information.

I think it ir crucial to have an option to hide some events or have a posiblity of what to sync or at least make it that the event would be private if not matched with another object in pipedrive, and NOT public.

1 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Posts: 4,290 PIPEDRIVE PRODUCT MANAGER
    2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Likes First Answer
    edited April 29 #2

Hi @Robo 

Thanks for reaching out.

I reached out to the team working on the calendar sync and although we unfortunately can’t segregate the activities right now we have plans to work on it in the future.

Good news, there's some ways to work around it though:

Different angles of tackling it -> Visibility of activities -> They remain private inside PD as well but as long as other users are not allowed to see the items they are linked to, you can hide them.

Another more used workaround is to create 2 calendars, one with private events and one with work events. In Google for example you can easily see those together in one overview where in Pipedrive you can then decide to only sync events from the work calendar.

The reason why it was originally implemented like this, is that in our research people just wanted to sync business calendars and there we decided to sync all events so that you know when you’re available or not -> For planning other activities and for usage of the scheduler for example.

But in short, there's some current workarounds and our team is looking at improving this in the future. Hope it helps you!

• Cassie Wilkinson
    Cassie Wilkinson Posts: 1
    edited February 24 #3

We really need a solution for this. Management might have a meeting that they don't want the details shared. We need to be able to block the event from a scheduling perspective but not have the details public.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited June 2020 #4

We really need a solution for this. Management might have a meeting that they don't want the details shared. We need to be able to block the event from a scheduling perspective but not have the details public.

Gotcha @Cassie Wilkinson I've passed it along. In the meantime not ideal but this is what I do personally since I also have a shared calendar with my wife, and my work calendar. If there's something happening in our private calendar I just block off that same time in my work calendar and call it "busy". Not ideal as it's some manual work but it helps me a lot. Nonetheless, I've passed on your feedback to the team.

• Eileen Romito
    Eileen Romito Posts: 8
    edited February 24 #5

I agree this is a very big problem. 

In addition to this, it also screws up the reporting on activities. 

For example, if I want to create a report on how many activities my team has completed this week, it will be pulling in all of their private activities as well (doctor appt at noon, etc) and throwing off the report, rendering the activities report essentially unusable.

There should be something in calendar sync settings that differentiates between calendar events that originate on corporate calendars vs those that are created in Pipedrive directly, and allows us to turn off the sync of those private events that originated on the calendar.

E.g.

For calendar events synced to Pipedrive from calendar...
    Sync "Private" events? [Y/N]

• Mike van der Valk
    edited December 2020 #6

For example, if I want to create a report on how many activities my team has completed this week, it will be pulling in all of their private activities as well (doctor appt at noon, etc) and throwing off the report, rendering the activities report essentially unusable.

There should be something in calendar sync settings that differentiates between calendar events that originate on corporate calendars vs those that are created in Pipedrive directly, and allows us to turn off the sync of those private events that originated on the calendar.

E.g.

Hi @Eileen Romito thanks for passing on the feedback, I'll make sure our product managers take a look at your comments.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited December 2020 #7

E.g.

@Eileen Romito  @Robo and @Cassie Wilkinson good news, our team has a tasks in our backlog to work on this 🚀

• Kacper Pupin
    Kacper Pupin Posts: 5
    edited February 2021 #8

E.g.

hi @Mike van der Valk  , when can we expect an update on this? This might be stopping our employees to go for a calendar sync which basically makes it impossible to use the scheduler feature...

Thanks

• Mike van der Valk
    edited February 2021 #9

E.g.

Hi @Kacper Pupin unfortunately it hasn't been prioritised out of our backlog yet :( 

• Jürgen Kuttenberger
    edited March 2021 #10

E.g.

Hi together! 

We see this also as a big problem!

@Mike van der Valk:  now, as I can see above, there are plenty of custumers who see this as a big issue. I cannot understand, why this is not solved already!

Kind regards, Jürgen

• Mike van der Valk
    edited March 2021 #11

E.g.

Hi @Jürgen Kuttenberger 

I wish I could give a better explanation why it isn't done yet, but in short it is because we have many of these type of requests of what we can improve. These we all have to prioritise against one another which is probably the most difficult part of the job.

I will do my best to reach out to the team here internally and hopefully push this request up in the priority list 🙏🏻.

• Jürgen Kuttenberger
    edited March 2021 #12

E.g.

Hi @Mike van der Valk 

thanks for your quick response. To my mind it is also a topic of GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation) and should be the highest priority ever! The private events are not only fully visible to my colleagues  (bad enough) but also stored in pipedrive.

I therefore need to know, when a solution is provided from your side to present this to my data protection officer.

Thanks in advance!

• Mike van der Valk
    edited March 2021 #13

E.g.

Hi @Jürgen Kuttenberger sorry for the slow reply I've passed it on to our team working on the calendar sync and also our own privacy and security team so they can review this together 

• Jürgen Kuttenberger
    edited March 2021 #14

E.g.

Hi @Mike van der Valk thanks for the reply and the processing in your internal departments. pls keep us informed. thx Jürgen

• Nina Foglietti
    Nina Foglietti Posts: 1
    edited February 25 #15

Hi @Mike van der Valk !

We have the same problem as stated by everyone above: In our team everyone needs to be able to keep not only appointments but also certain activities private. We thought about integrating Todoist but as we wanted to avoid switching between several tools, this is not an ideal option for us. 

Any update yet on the requests? 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2021 #16

Hi @Mike van der Valk !

We have the same problem as stated by everyone above: In our team everyone needs to be able to keep not only appointments but also certain activities private. We thought about integrating Todoist but as we wanted to avoid switching between several tools, this is not an ideal option for us. 

Any update yet on the requests? 

Hi @Nina Foglietti 

No exact ETA unfortunately but were working on a task/project management solution which is in research phase right now: https://community.pipedrive.com/group/project-management-delivery-management

This can probably help you down the line. 

• Neal Bailey
    Neal Bailey Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited December 2021 #17

so to be clear if I make a task and it is assigned to a deal that is marked as me as the owner only then no one else can see that activity - is that correct?

• Aimee Smith
    Aimee Smith Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 24 #18

I am adding, this is a HUGE need. Anyone serving as a manager and up will have private business meetings. Personnel meetings... etc. GDPR!

Please just remove the ability to see anyone but your calendar! Same as the PD inbox.

I won't sync my calendar, use scheduler or teams integration until this gets fixed... and it is driving my company to look at other CRM solutions.