Data export, clean and re-import

Options
Fletch641
Fletch641 Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment

I'm attempting to export our organisation data, around 15,000 accounts. Update and clean by matching to an external database and re-import. I'm hoping that the import will essentially update the organisations, having filled in some of the missing data. Using the org ID is important so that any new data is matched.

How will people linked to organisations be affected? Are they linked to the Organisation ID, and so any name changes to the organisation will not affect their linking? Do I have to include people, their email addresses and job titles in the export/import for them to link?

Best Answer

Answers

• Fletch641
    Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Good stuff, thanks for your help Liz!

• Fletch641
    Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Continuing with this. If we are to complete a mass import and some organisations have missing data on the import, i.e phone number, but already have a phone number in PD. Will the number be updated as blank or will it remain the number already in PD?

• Liz (Ops Designed)
    Liz (Ops Designed) Member Posts: 211
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Great question. If a cell is empty in the Import sheet and the data field is not empty in Pipedrive, it should not clear the Pipedrive data. However, to be sure, typically what I do is only import columns of data that I know I want to update.

If you want to be totally sure, do a test by importing, for example, 5 rows of data. Check that all of the data was/wasn't updated as desired and then go ahead and do the larger import.

• jeffs
    jeffs Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

@Liz (Ops Designed) , I see that blanks and "" characters in my csv are ignored upon import. What if I want to erase all data, for a specific contact, in a custom field upon import? Is there a way to do that…maybe with some keyword? (None) does not seem to work.