Sending automatic followup after a manual email

Options

I am sending emails out to new leads in my leads inbox using various templates. These are not automated because I like to personalize the first email out. I need a way to automatically send a followup email 3 days later if I don't get a reply. The Automations feature doesn't have a good trigger for this. What is the recommended approach here?

Answers

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Options

Create an activity for 3 days later.

Set up an automation to send an automatic follow up when that activity is marked done.

• flatirondavis
    flatirondavis Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

That's not really an automation, though? I have to manually go through each activity and check if the person has replied.

• Jared
    Jared Member Posts: 53
    5 Likes Combo Breaker First Comment First Answer
    Options

@flatirondavis the activity option works.

With a fully automated process, what happens when the lead replies to your first email and no longer needs to be followed up with? You don't want an out-of-context email to be sent to the lead.

The automation would need to know when not to send the email. So how we fix this is by having a lead status field with options "New" "Contacted" "Follow Up" and "Engaged".

When the lead is created, is it set to "New" which are the leads that you know you need to send the personalized email.

Then you move them to "Follow Up" This fires the automation to send the email 3 days later. But only if they are still in the "Follow Up" status. If you move them to the engaged status, the automation will not send the follow-up email.

With some Zapier magic you could automate the whole thing. What is your lead volume like?

• flatirondavis
    Options

I am familiar with Apollo's sequence feature which can fully automate this type of flow. I think following your approach makes sense given Pipedrive's feature set. My volume is pretty manageable but it the automation described here would save me maybe 15-30 mins/day which adds up over time, and would eliminate yet another to-do on my list. I'll look into the Zapier approach. My sense is that it would require integrating Zapier with both Pipedrive and mail to detect the replies since the Pipedrive Zap doesn't expose email content AFAICT.

Thanks!

• Jared
    Options

@flatirondavis , you are 100% right on the direction you must take with Zapier. If you hit any snags, let me know. Always happy to talk about automations.

• Deetje
    Deetje Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for that, Jared. I was wondering, for the lead status, did you create an extra field? Or are you referring to using the labels?

Regarding the Zapier magic, do I understand correct that I need to create a separate Zap for this, i.e. not possible to be done in the pipedrive automations? Wow, this seems quite a stretch?

• Deetje
    Deetje Member Posts: 2
    Options

@flatirondavis can you show me which zap you used for this? I am trying to achieve the same.

• Jared
    Options

@Deetje I used a separate field. If you want set up a time to talk and we can work through the automation. https://calendly.com/d/3k5-6y9-jnr/60min

• flatirondavis
    Options

@Deetje I haven't gotten around to automating, and also don't really want to pay for Zapier just for this task. Wish it were built in to Pipedrive automations ;)