Pipedrive Call Feature no longer working with US number format

Martin Boonzaayer
Martin Boonzaayer Member Posts: 49
First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited July 2022 in Apps and Integrations #1

We've been using the PIpedrive "Call" feature since it came out. Our phone numbers are formatted for US Format, i.e. 515-555-1234.  However, the system will no longer accept this format! And our entire phone integration setup is dependant on hone numbers being formatted this way. This is a huge problem!  Any comments from anyone at Pipedrive staff please?

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited July 2020 #2

Hi @Martin Boonzaayer 

Can you see if you have this option in your personal preferences set on or off: https://sharing.pipedrive.com/eF5Md1
    If switching the setting doesn't work for you please reach out to our support team via the in-app chat or support@pipedrive.com

They will be able to help you quicker and can go in your backoffice with our engineers to understand what's happening. 

• Shobhit Gaur
    Shobhit Gaur Member Posts: 127
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary Integration Partner
    edited July 2020 #3

@Martin Boonzaayer if your problem persists, you can try Outplay. You can still use your phone number in the same US format. Even, our sales teams use the same format. 

Here is what you can do with us -

• Call your prospects, 
    • Send SMS,
    • Record, receive and send voicemails,  
    • Makes notes about your call, 
    • View call log, 
    • Download your calls to analyze them,

The calls and SMS on Outplay are powered by Twilio, one of the biggest companies in the world for communication, known for its hassle-free reliability and guaranteed uptime. We do not charge any markups for calls. 

Outplay has a powerful, bi-directional integration with Pipedrive - 

https://marketplace.pipedrive.com/app/outplay/6d1d318eb8e17b9f

We are one of the top-rated apps on Pipedrive Marketplace.

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #4

@Mike van der Valk we did create a support ticket last week, but no response yet on that. And yes, we have experiemented with both settings on that checkbox. 

• Chen_4359
    Chen_4359 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Integration Partner
    edited January 2021 #5

If you're dealing with phone number formatting issues, click to dial breaking, duplicates, or any other check our this article: Why You Should Care About Phone Number Formatting In Your CRM (and How to Fix Them)

I'm with Insycle, available on the Pipedrive Marketplace

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2020 #6

@Mike van der Valk we did create a support ticket last week, but no response yet on that. And yes, we have experiemented with both settings on that checkbox. 

@Martin Boonzaayer I'll follow up with our team here so they'll get back to you on this. Sorry about it!

• Indrek Stern
    Indrek Stern Posts: 6
    Pipedrive Team
    edited February 2021 #7

Pipedrive developer here.

When you say that we no longer "accept this format", what do you mean? Do you mean that when using Caller you have to enter the international country prefix (+1 for the US) and it won't allow to start calls without that?

Twilio, our service provider, requires the numbers to be in the E.164 international format, for example (+15155551234). If there are brackets or hyphens in the number, we can remove them but if the country code is missing, we cannot simply assume that, even if 'US number formatting' is selected. 

I see that you also have the country flag selector which adds the country code automatically to numbers. 
    https://sharing.pipedrive.com/9dHUti
    How is this not working for you? Please show screenshots.

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2020 #8

@Indrek Stern thank you for responding.  Here is a screenshot showing that we cannot dial out. https://tinyurl.com/y2k2hu8y.  here is a screenshot showing we have the box checked to convert to US format: https://tinyurl.com/y23rnv4m

What I don't understand is what changed in Pipedrive. We have been using this number format since we became pipedrive customers and have had no problem making calls until last week. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but our "CalL" feature stopped working at the same time the "search" issue was fixed last week Thurs/Fri.  

• Indrek Stern
    Pipedrive Team
    edited March 2022 #9

@Martin Boonzaayer , I see your point. Calling from the Call tab in the Deal or Person details view is indeed more complicated now. 

What changed was that the way we were formatting numbers did not work for too many users. So we decided that the default behavior should be no formatting, specifically not adding any country code. As the default we also removed the country flag selector, which I guess you asked to re-enable on your account. 

We changed the formatting to no formatting, but we still need to make sure that when a call through Twilio is started that the phone number has the international prefix (+1 for North America). That is the reason for the error in red that you see and the Start Call button being disabled. 

But I do realize we created an issue for you in Call tab because you cannot edit the number. 
    What will work is using the phone number button to make calls - https://sharing.pipedrive.com/ROY7k4
    There you will be able to choose the country flag and if you choose US, it will remember that choice and add it for numbers where it is not present. But for now you will need to use the phone buttons.

I will take this issue in the Call tab to our product manager and see what solution we come up with. Whether to restore the old behavior which did indeed change at the end of last week, or something else.

Thanks for letting us know this doesn't work for you.

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2020 #10

@Indrek Stern thank you for responding. Please let me know asap what pipedrive decides. Right now we are literally "dead in the water".  And we cannot change the number format, because our integration will automatically re-format the phone number to the way it is formatted now every time we try to make an edit.  My understanding of the checkbox to default to "US Based format" is that your system would automatically add a "+1" when dialing. If pipedrive chooses not to re-enable the previous functionality, then we have to rebuild our entire phone integration - so please let us know asap, since not being able to make phone calls in our business is hurting us. A lot.

• Indrek Stern
    Pipedrive Team
    edited July 2020 #11

@Martin Boonzaayer ,  but why can't you use the phone buttons on the left-hand side of the details view for calling right now?

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2020 #12

@Indrek Stern yes, sorry I didn't respond on that. that work! That call button works exactly the way I'd like the other call button to work. For the long-term I don't want to have to scroll all the way down tothe person record (we usually call from deal record) but it works for now. I'm hoping that Pipedrive will make the "call" button in the activity bar function the same way as on the phone field. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2020 #13

Thanks for chiming in @Indrek Stern and sharing your detailed answers @Martin Boonzaayer we're taking it to the team and will keep in touch!

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #14

@Mike van der Valk  I am able to call from the Person record, but the behavior is still not as expected. For example, the first time I click the phone icon to call, it will not work. Then I close it, and open again, and this time it works. Please see:  

https://www.loom.com/share/64d74f5be78947c8a38d324878fb08a1
  • Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2020 #15

@Mike van der Valk  I am able to call from the Person record, but the behavior is still not as expected. For example, the first time I click the phone icon to call, it will not work. Then I close it, and open again, and this time it works. Please see:  

https://www.loom.com/share/64d74f5be78947c8a38d324878fb08a1

Thanks for sharing, we're on it! :) 

• Indrek Stern
    Pipedrive Team
    edited July 2020 #16

@Martin Boonzaayer , when earlier you said "And we cannot change the number format, because our integration will automatically re-format the phone number to the way it is formatted now every time we try to make an edit", what calling integration are you using and how are you using it? 
    I am trying to understand why it needs to re-format your numbers within Pipedrive.  

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2020 #17

@Indrek Stern I have had a custom integration built with Callrail. And the integration requires that the phone numbers are formatted  as 123-444-1234 - so when a call or SMS comes in, it will search the database for that specific string of characters. 

• Indrek Stern
    Pipedrive Team
    edited July 2020 #18

@Martin Boonzaayer , I believe you will find both of the issues that you have brought up fixed now. Clicking on the phone number will no longer show an error and you are able to start a call from the Call tab without it needing to explicitly have a country code in front of it. If using Caller to make the call from the Call tab and the number does not start with a '+' then the country code will be added based on your default country or the one that was selected from the country flag selector on the last call.  

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2020 #19

@Indrek Stern outstanding! Thanks for getting that fixed!

• Adriana Gough
    Adriana Gough Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2022 #20

Hello. Our PipeDrive account is having the same issue. Under the Personal Preferences to customize Interfaces I have the 'Convert phone numbers to US phone number format' selected. However, when I add a phone number to a Person with the area code first the +1 country code does not appear.

• Kreete K
    Kreete K Pipedrive Team Posts: 355 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2022 #21

Hello. Our PipeDrive account is having the same issue. Under the Personal Preferences to customize Interfaces I have the 'Convert phone numbers to US phone number format' selected. However, when I add a phone number to a Person with the area code first the +1 country code does not appear.

Hi Adriana! 

As this thread is very old and we have had some changes to the feature before, please report this to our Support team directly via in-app chat or email support@pipedrive.com. The team will need to check further. Thanks! 

• Andrew Klotz
    Andrew Klotz Member Posts: 30
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

@Mike van der Valk

Do you have any suggestions around phone numbers to a general switchboard that include an extension? On my cell I believe I've seen a symbol appended that causes a delay before entering the extension digits. Would this be a think in PD?

• Mike van der Valk

Hi @Andrew Klotz

Sorry but I haven't worked with this before. I would recommend you to reach out to our support team via the in-app chat or email so they can be of best assistance and help you the quickest.

• enlignadv
    enlignadv Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

PipeDrive needs to automatically set +1 as the country code. PipeDrive also needs to have a bulk update option to append +1 to all records that do not already have a country code.