It would be nice to be able to use custom fields in automation triggers

Options
Pouyan Torabi
Pouyan Torabi Member Posts: 10
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment

It doesn't look like custom fields are available to use in automation triggers, unless I'm missing something. I.e. I want to use the deal contact person's country (which is a custom field on the Person) as trigger.

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2020 #2
    Options

Hi @Pouyan Torabi !

You can do that by including your desired custom field as a condition for your trigger (click "Specify Conditions" after selecting your type of trigger).

In the example below, the fields in all caps are custom fields I created manually, and the other one is the Country field belonging to Address.

Hope that makes your life easier!

• Pouyan Torabi
    Pouyan Torabi Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

@Inês Batata thank you for the reply. After playing around with it a bit more I now realize what I meant to ask was dot walking to custom fields in the related tables. 

For example if my trigger is based on when a deal is created, to take a certain action when the deal contact person's country is "Spain". 

The "Country" field is a custom field on Person, although the automation triggers show a few of the out of the box related fields (see screenshot below) such as "Deal Contact Person Email" or "Deal Contact Person Phone" the custom fields I have created for the deal contact person (such as country) do not seem to be accessible from here. 

Do you have a workaround for this? or is the only workaround to add that custom field to the Deal itself if I need to use it in automation?

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2020 #4
    Options

@Inês Batata thank you for the reply. After playing around with it a bit more I now realize what I meant to ask was dot walking to custom fields in the related tables. 

For example if my trigger is based on when a deal is created, to take a certain action when the deal contact person's country is "Spain". 

The "Country" field is a custom field on Person, although the automation triggers show a few of the out of the box related fields (see screenshot below) such as "Deal Contact Person Email" or "Deal Contact Person Phone" the custom fields I have created for the deal contact person (such as country) do not seem to be accessible from here. 

Do you have a workaround for this? or is the only workaround to add that custom field to the Deal itself if I need to use it in automation?

Thank you for clarifying @Pouyan Torabi . The best workaround would be to create that custom field in the Deal itself, yes.

I've taken the chance to send your suggestion to our team so they can take it into consideration in future developments.

• John Robert Cobbold
    John Robert Cobbold Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited September 2020 #5
    Options

Hello there,

Yes, we also need to include organisation custom fields inside deal-based triggers

• Ellen Lichtenstein
    Ellen Lichtenstein Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

I really need this too! I am having issues because there are many field options and even the ability to make custom fields for a webform but I cannot use those same fields to trigger an automation. 

Maybe I am just missing something? 

What I am trying to achieve is this:

A person fills out a webform and indicates that they would like a reminder email sent for something. I can create that part in the webform in several ways (check box, open text response, etc.) What I cannot do is then use their answer in that field to trigger an email to be sent. 

The trigger options I get for automations are completely different than what I have the option to insert into a webform. 

• Vladimir Dubakin
    Vladimir Dubakin Posts: 60
    First Comment Pipedrive Team
    edited September 2020 #7
    Options

I really need this too! I am having issues because there are many field options and even the ability to make custom fields for a webform but I cannot use those same fields to trigger an automation. 

Maybe I am just missing something? 

What I am trying to achieve is this:

A person fills out a webform and indicates that they would like a reminder email sent for something. I can create that part in the webform in several ways (check box, open text response, etc.) What I cannot do is then use their answer in that field to trigger an email to be sent. 

The trigger options I get for automations are completely different than what I have the option to insert into a webform. 

Hey hey, @Ellen Lichtenstein !

It sounds like:

1. When user fills in a form - information comes through to Pipedrive and one custom field value gets changed for the customer who fills in the form (provided there is an existing customer).
    2. Automation will trigger an email to be sent on the basis on a custom field value changed

I am sure if you reach out to support@pipedrive.com or open a new in-app chat with our support - you will get help to set it up (Of course, they will need a bit more details, but, it does look like this automation can be done).

Have a great day meanwhile :) 

Kind regards,

Vladimir

• annagoettel
    annagoettel Member Posts: 2
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2023 #8
    Options

Hello everyone,

have there been any developments in the introduction of person custom fields as conditions when automating something based on a "Updated Deal" Automation?

I would also really need to access a custom person field in one of my conditions and cannot work with the work-around suggested above (to create the custom field in Deal itself).

I would appreciate an update on this!

Thanks in advance :)