Lead source and tracking

Options
Nirmal Gyanwali
Nirmal Gyanwali Member Posts: 26
First Comment
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

I have been tracking the lead sources (both inbound and outbound) in a custom field like SEO, PPC - Gooogle, PPC - Facebook, Referrals, Outreach etc.

I would like to get a bit more detailed report on these sources. For example, for inbound leads - it could be Phone call, Email, Live Chat etc. 

It's more like nested sources i.e. SEO lead can call or Email or contact us from Live Chat. But that is not relevant for outbound leads - so having another custom field can be confusing.

How do you recommend to manage these data so we can generate an easy report?

Comments

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 845
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited February 2022 #2
    Options

Create custom fields and try to use automation to populate the data [ie: when a form gets filled out it populates the field with the source]

• Nirmal Gyanwali
    First Comment
    edited August 2020 #3
    Options

Create custom fields and try to use automation to populate the data [ie: when a form gets filled out it populates the field with the source]

Thanks for your prompt response, @Boris Tsibelman 

I am thinking to have two custom fields - Lead Source and Medium so that covers the most of the metrics.

In terms of automation, I had challenges with spam enquiries. Many people send random partnership enquiries from the website contact form and that was taking more time to clean up the deals/contact/organisation data than adding the quality leads manually.

Do you have any recommendations on that?  

• Boris Tsibelman
    edited August 2020 #4
    Options

Im guessing your using some sort of Wordpress forms, which are prone to spam.

The best way against that is having strict captcha rules setup [even though sometimes spam gets through those as well]

• Malin Karlsson
    Malin Karlsson Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2022 #5
    Options

A question. How do you add the information about the lead source to the custom field? Do you add them manually or do you use Zapier or some other tool? 

• Martin Boonzaayer
    Martin Boonzaayer Member Posts: 49
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

We use Integromat (a much more powerful tool than Zapier).  Our system is fully automated.  I found I needed 3 custom fields: 1. Lead Response (SMS / Webform / Phone Call / etc), 2. Medium (Direct Mail, Sign, Television, Radio,  Paid Online, Organic Online, etc), and 3. Lead Source (List Type, Referral, Online Social, Online Search, etc).  We even have a 4th - for "Drilldown" but you may not feel that's necessary, that includes like Google, Facebook, Craigslist,  BBB, etc. 

To automate, it's not as complex as you may think.  If it's a webform, set Lead Response to Webform, and the Medium will depend on the data you got from your webform if it was paid or organic, and the source will also be provided by the UTM fields in your webform on where they came from.  For a phone call, of coruse Lead Response is set to Phone Call, and we have a lookup table for each of our marketing phone numbers, which provides the other fields.

• Nirmal Gyanwali
    First Comment
    edited November 2020 #7
    Options

Thanks @Boris Tsibelman Actually, they are not spams but enquiries from overseas companies for partnership. It's funny that we get more those emails than actual leads :D

• Nirmal Gyanwali
    First Comment
    edited August 2020 #8
    Options

A question. How do you add the information about the lead source to the custom field? Do you add them manually or do you use Zapier or some other tool? 

I have been adding manually. Not sure if there is a way to find out what source they are coming from on PipeDrive yet.

• Nirmal Gyanwali
    First Comment
    edited August 2020 #9
    Options

We use Integromat (a much more powerful tool than Zapier).  Our system is fully automated.  I found I needed 3 custom fields: 1. Lead Response (SMS / Webform / Phone Call / etc), 2. Medium (Direct Mail, Sign, Television, Radio,  Paid Online, Organic Online, etc), and 3. Lead Source (List Type, Referral, Online Social, Online Search, etc).  We even have a 4th - for "Drilldown" but you may not feel that's necessary, that includes like Google, Facebook, Craigslist,  BBB, etc. 

To automate, it's not as complex as you may think.  If it's a webform, set Lead Response to Webform, and the Medium will depend on the data you got from your webform if it was paid or organic, and the source will also be provided by the UTM fields in your webform on where they came from.  For a phone call, of coruse Lead Response is set to Phone Call, and we have a lookup table for each of our marketing phone numbers, which provides the other fields.

Thanks @Martin Boonzaayer That was very helpful.

• Adam Metz_15020
    Adam Metz_15020 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2020 #10
    Options

Martin, this is really great. What object do you put this on?

• Martin Boonzaayer
    Martin Boonzaayer Member Posts: 49
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020 #11
    Options

I chose to put it on the Person object as opposed to the deal object.  I'm not sure that was the right call.  The thoughw as that a response ties to a person but in hindsight, I think I would put it on the deal object. 

• Bob Weiss
    Bob Weiss Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2022 #12
    Options

@Martin Boonzaayer Thanks for sharing. Are you able to use the Pipedrive  Web Forms  with Integromat? 

• Boris Tsibelman
    edited November 2020 #13
    Options
    Bob Weiss said:

@Martin Boonzaayer Thanks for sharing. Are you able to use the Pipedrive  Web Forms  with Integromat? 

Yes.

All data from Web forms goes into pipedrive 

And from there you can connect it with Integromat