Adding a contact WITH phone or mail but without the name

Michiel Van Hove_6182
Michiel Van Hove_6182 Member Posts: 10
First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary

I was wondering if there is a way to add a contact with phone/mail but without the actual name

We're active in real estate. During prospection, in some cases you found/have the phone number or mail but not an actual name. However, when adding a contact to a deal, a name is an obligated field. 

Consequently, our agents put in a preliminary X or intials as a name for now. I'm sure this will cause duplicate problems, data pollution etc. 

In the settings, data fields, I have not indicated the Contactperson's name as Required: https://share.getcloudapp.com/p9uGGmnw

Any ideas how to solve this WITHOUT preventing a bunch of 'generic' X or ABC contact names? https://share.getcloudapp.com/4gu99pDm

5f366fa623446a324298f261_83745.png
0 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 848
    5 Likes Premier Solution Provider First Anniversary First Answer
    edited October 2020 #2

The name is required - you cannot save a contact without a name. 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2020 #3

Hi @Michiel Van Hove !

Like @Boris Tsibelman mentioned, the Name is the only mandatory field for contacts in Pipedrive, be they People or Organizations, so the workaround you're using is actually a pretty good one.

Sharing a common name is not enough to make Pipedrive flag two contacts as potential duplicates, but it can make your life as a user more complicated, so I recommend using temporary names that are still unique and identifiable by you.

Learn more about this here:

• Michiel Van Hove_6182
    Michiel Van Hove_6182 Member Posts: 10
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited February 2022 #4

@Inês Batata  Thanks for your answer! I was afraid there was no other option. Putting together as duplicates also is not an option since we're connecting deals (houses in our cases) to them. In fact there no duplicates as they have separate contact info but we just don't have the name of them. Anyways, I guess the solution is initials + number + one of the following actions:

• deal advances > overwrite the contact info with the actual name
    • deal closes/lost > delete the contact (to avoid an overkill in unknown contact persons)
  • Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2020 #5

@Inês Batata  Thanks for your answer! I was afraid there was no other option. Putting together as duplicates also is not an option since we're connecting deals (houses in our cases) to them. In fact there no duplicates as they have separate contact info but we just don't have the name of them. Anyways, I guess the solution is initials + number + one of the following actions:

• deal advances > overwrite the contact info with the actual name
    • deal closes/lost > delete the contact (to avoid an overkill in unknown contact persons)

Yes, both of those sound like good workarounds! I'm glad to see you have quite a good grasp of how to use PIpedrive to your advantage and an "elastic" mind. 🚀

• Josh Taylor
    Josh Taylor Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2022 #6

I am trying to use Pipedrive but I find this contact aspect so annoying. I often have to navigate between a few individuals at a company and often at first I can't even get a name. "TBD" always flags "Similar person already exists" as is noted here. I wish this could be more flexible. 

I find I am doing more and more in google sheets which begs the question why use Pipedrive at all.