What makes selling in the United Kingdom unique? Use this channel to connect :)

Inês Batata
Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
edited July 2022 in Business Talk #1

Hi all,

We're slowly but surely growing our country-specific channels. Please use this channel to connect with local people who work in sales and use Pipedrive.

Discuss questions, tips & tricks and above all enjoy the community! 🇬🇧

Comments

• Alex Napier Holland
    Alex Napier Holland Member Posts: 30
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 2022 #2

Dealing with poe-faced, mean-spirited British people (like me!).

As a former sales executive for an English software company, it was amusing to watch American sales executives try to pitch English academics at software conferences in America.

Selling in America is a lot more direct. English academics would leap out of the way of their attempts to pitch them as they walked by.

It takes a while to build rapport and trust with English people, as a generalisation. Especially in academic sales. 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2020 #3

Dealing with poe-faced, mean-spirited British people (like me!).

As a former sales executive for an English software company, it was amusing to watch American sales executives try to pitch English academics at software conferences in America.

Selling in America is a lot more direct. English academics would leap out of the way of their attempts to pitch them as they walked by.

It takes a while to build rapport and trust with English people, as a generalisation. Especially in academic sales. 

@Jonathan Oaten what do you have to say to this? 😉

• Jonathan Oaten_9494
    Jonathan Oaten_9494 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2020 #4

My learned friend is correct to a degree, being English and Australian gives me a couple of insights.

Americans are not very coy in regard to pitching their products, and the products seem to rely more heavily on the US market rather take a global perspective. 

I suggest if you are pitching to the UK learn a little about the geographical area you are pitching to. England has a deep history so knowing something interesting shows you have at least done some research or it will adhere you more than your other American counterpart who will blindly venture forth with a really bad pitch. If that does not work pick an English football team, follow them football opens doors, or at least gives you the warm open

• Georgia Wright
    Georgia Wright Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021 #5

I don't know if we need to reduce the British people to rude and football hooligans'. 

We're a simple people that take manners and politeness quite seriously even when we don't realize we're doing it. This means the American sales method of push push push often does not work as it is almost considered rude. As Brits we don't like to spend money or to feel like someone is forcing us to. We very much have to feel it is our choice.

If you are calling to try to sell something just try make a connection by generally asking how they are, the weather is an easy one to go for. We love to moan and hear if you're somewhere better! Start a conversation, bring the conversation around to your product in a seamless way that fits how you are talking.

You will find more success if you allow the customer to speak to you and work their way to a decision. Follow ups are always key as well, as often on the spot decision making doesn't tend to happen. Again we don't enjoy spending money. Discussions will be had and your persistence (not badgering) will pay off.

Lastly, be honest and kind, but that goes for anywhere and everywhere! :)