Address Field NEEDS Zip Code!

Rusty Ruetz_9429
Rusty Ruetz_9429 Member Posts: 5
First Comment

I've been using PIpedrive for 10+ years, and the address validation that occurs during entry is great -- except it doesn't display the zipcode unless you start to type it. The funny thing is the Zip Code is decoded and stored the the deals table custom field, available via the API. I need it to display in the field for quick glance. What our employees are doing now is opening google and copy + pasting the address to find out the zip code... waste of time!

0 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Darwin Mornan
    Darwin Mornan Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020 #2

100% Agreed! This is my biggest frustration with Pipedrive. 

• Lori Damanda
    Lori Damanda Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020 #3

I completely agree.  

• RH1
    RH1 Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2020 #4

I brought this up last year and was told that they use google "geocache" for addresses and it doesn't include the zip. Then I was told it's a google issue not a PD issue. I disagree with blaming google, this needs to be addressed. If you generate mail labels they need the correct zip code, and having to enter that manually every time is too time consuming.

• Mari Tato
    Mari Tato Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020 #5

Totally agree,

• Martin Boonzaayer
    Martin Boonzaayer Member Posts: 49
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #6

@Rusty Ruetz the good news is that the zip is definately generated - and it's stored in geocoded fields. The problem is that Pipedrive does not make those fields visible to users, but they are accessible via the API. A very simple fix would be to setup Integromat (or Zapier) to trigger whenever an address field is changed, and then to pull the Zip code geo-coded field and copy it to a Custom field for "Zip Code".  It's very fast and works great. I do something similar in my business - I use Integromat and when the address field is updated, it uses the geo-coded data fields to automaticaly generate the URL for that property on Zillow. So whenever an address gets entered, the Zillow URL appears in about 1 second or so.  

• 3C-OTEM
    3C-OTEM Member Posts: 9
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2020 #7

I am glad to see there are others who have a definite need to SEE the zip code in the address field and the custom field (API). The use of the database is still heavily dependent upon having a zip code for further channels of outreach to prospects as well current customers. Not sure how its done, but it should pop up when entering the address information. I believe and know for sure that Google provides it. The question is what does PD do with it. :)

• Scott Krause
    Scott Krause Member Posts: 9
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited October 2020 #8

It looks like they have a mission! 

• Chris_11719
    Chris_11719 Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2020 #9

@Rusty Ruetz the good news is that the zip is definately generated - and it's stored in geocoded fields. The problem is that Pipedrive does not make those fields visible to users, but they are accessible via the API. A very simple fix would be to setup Integromat (or Zapier) to trigger whenever an address field is changed, and then to pull the Zip code geo-coded field and copy it to a Custom field for "Zip Code".  It's very fast and works great. I do something similar in my business - I use Integromat and when the address field is updated, it uses the geo-coded data fields to automaticaly generate the URL for that property on Zillow. So whenever an address gets entered, the Zillow URL appears in about 1 second or so.  

Is the zapier recipe public? 

• Rusty Ruetz_9429
    Rusty Ruetz_9429 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #10

I thought about that, but the issue is that will only work for deal fields updated moving forward. I use google address API for other web projects and I've never had that issue. Hopefully they can figure it out! Thanks for the thought. 

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020 #11

Hi @Chris  Yes, all the geo-coded data fields are included in the data that is sent by Pipedrive to Zapier. So the "recipe" is super simple. Step 1 - Create a Trigger in Zapier that executes when the Address field is updated.  Step 2 - Use the "Update Pipedrive Deal" module and select the geo-coded zip code field as the value to be entered in your custom field for Zip Code.  Personally I would use Integromat - the learning curve is a little higher, but it's a much more efficient tool - and would allow you to have a "filter" which would only execute when the Address field has changed. In Zapier it will execute every time anything in the Deal changes, but that's okay too - but Zapier charges per "Action" - so could be relevant. Any automation consultant can easily set this up for you.

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020 #12

@Rusty Ruetz  it is super easy to create a "one-time use" function (in Integromat or Zapier) to update all your existing database. I do that all the time too when I create something new. You create a filter in Pipedrive to list all the deals that have an address field and Zip Code custom field is empty, and then in Integromat or Zapier you create a function to pull the results of that filter and update that field. 

• Jeff Sprott
    Jeff Sprott Member Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 2022 #13

Coders of Pipedrive, please make the simple API Google Map adjustment so zip codes come along with the address search! Should take them all of about 5 mins to fix this if they dive in and do it. 

• Jennie Lau
    Jennie Lau Member Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited October 2020 #14

Not sure if this will help you to use the Postal Adress field in Person section or not, but it does perform better with autoloading zip codes. I also opened a support ticket for this zip code issue, you are correct that you have to start typing the zip code in if you added an Address field in the Deal Details section. However, if you add a Postal Address field in the Person Details section you just need to enter enough text to select the right address, click save, wait a min. and it auto-populates the zip code for you. I have asked PD support to see if they can get the Address field in the Deals section to be coded the same way as the Postal Address field in the Person section, I get the same answer that most of you have received. The Address field in Deals is working properly, and it's just taking info from Google Geocoding. 

• Erik Lindholm
    Erik Lindholm Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited October 2020 #15

Agree! Please make this happen. If I have to go to google to look up the zip then manually paste in the deal field, then the google  integration is almost pointless.

• Sarah_5083
    Sarah_5083 Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited October 2020 #16

Pipedrive developers please make this happen be our hero in this...

• Maria Helenius M
    Maria Helenius M Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020 #17

Agree!

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited October 2020 #18

Hi @Rusty Ruetz and others! Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. I have given the "feedback" tag to your post so that our team sees it. I've also reached out to some engineers about it a few minutes ago so hopefully it can start a discussion on the subject internally. Thanks for sharing!

• Mike van der Valk
    edited June 2022 #19

@Rusty Ruetz and others, could you please send me some addresses as examples that I could test with and show our team?

• Erik Lindholm
    edited October 2020 #20

@Rusty Ruetz and others, could you please send me some addresses as examples that I could test with and show our team?

Use any address... try 10600 North Tantau Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014

• Mike van der Valk
    edited October 2020 #21

@Erik Lindholm thanks!

@Rusty Ruetz @Alexandre Mornard @Darwin Mornan @Lori Damanda @Robert Holder @Mari Tato and others do I understand it right that for example in this image below you'd need the ZIP code to show up in the full address field? It's available in the ZIP/Postal code field which you can expand, but you need it to be in the main field right? I see now indeed it only shows up there if I literally type it out myself although available in the other field.

• Erik Lindholm
    edited July 2021 #22

Yes, exactly. Not sure about everyone else,  but we need to copy and extract the entire formatted address including zip codes. Having to go out to another webpage and paste it in google to get the formatted address adds unnecessary steps. Time is money! 

Thank you 

• Jennie Lau
    edited October 2020 #23

@Mike van der Valk Hi Mike, the Postal address field in Person details is coded exactly what everybody wants all the other custom address fields to behave like. Please have the engineers look deeper into the coding for this particular Postal Address field. It only works for me in the Person Details section. See clips of what I'm referring to below: 

I've only typed 123 main and I selected the 1st address, then I click the save button:

This is what I initially see right after clicking save, no zip code yet but just wait a min.

After a min, the geocode automatically picks up the full address and loads the zip code for us. The technology and proper coding exist within Pipedrive, we just need an engineer to match up the same behavior across all address fields. 

I've opened a support ticket about this before but the support rep didn't really understand that all other address custom fields require the user to manually enter the zipcode. As you can see with the example above, it was a breeze to be able to only enter "123 main" and load the entire address automatically. 

Needing to step outside of Pipedrive to look up a zip code is cumbersome, especially when the google geocode already has the data.  Thank you for researching this further and getting the proper help to get this done. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited October 2020 #24

Thanks @Jennie Lau and @Erik Lindholm thanks for clarifying. I'll take this up with our devs. Just to be able to fully inform them of the case, can you tell me why it's not enough to use the "full combined address" field in our list view. You can see in this GIF how to add this column to the list

• Erik Lindholm
    edited October 2020 #25

Hi @Mike van der Valk , why would the ZIP Code populate properly in one address field (person), but not the other field (deal)? Typically when we were looking up addresses we go to the person’s or company’s or deal’s profile page. Not through the list view as you show... I realize this is possible but it’s forcing us to navigate over to a different page which is the same as just looking it up on Google to begin with. It actually takes longer to navigate this was vs just right clicking and using “search google for...” the zip lookup. It would be good to have consistency throughout the database. 

• Jennie Lau
    edited October 2020 #26

@Mike van der Valk I don't know about others but I do not create deals in list view, nor do I work off of list view at all. The folks who are frustrated are probably all using the custom address field added into Deals section. The process looks pretty much the same as the example I provided above with the Sample person, except for the fact that the custom address field doesn't auto-populate the zipcode. Hence, you have PD users that get tired of taking the extra time to look up the zip code manually outside of PD, then typing it back in manually. The point is, if google geocode integration exist, then just display the full address data, don't truncate the data.  

You can see from my example, the proper coding already exist in PD. I would think engineers can make that Postal Address field available as a custom field, no matter if it's a new Person, Deal or Organization being added. We'll see what the engineers come back with. Thanks!

• Erik Lindholm
    edited October 2020 #27

Agreed. I’ve never used the list view to create and manage deals. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited October 2020 #28

Thanks for clarifying @Jennie Lau and @Erik Lindholm this helps me in my conversation with our developers. Hopefully we can improve this in the future, I'm off to the devs now to discuss this topic.

• Jeff Sprott
    edited February 2022 #29

Guys, 

Let's start the zip code fight back up again! With enough noise they should fix this! Should be a simple google api fix in the pipedrive backend for all their USA clients. 

We need zip codes to auto populate in all "Address" data field types. Correct format should be something like below. We can drop the USA and replace it with the zip code like below.  Can you please please jump on this for us?

845 Marlstone Pl

Colorado Springs, CO 80904

• Jeff Sprott
    edited November 2020 #30

Have we made any progress here? Zip codes still aren't auto populating on my end. I have to copy, paste into google, then copy the correct formatted address including the zip code to then paste  it back into Pipedrive. Very stilly. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited November 2020 #31

Hi @Jeff Sprott our engineers are checking it out. It turns out that the "autocomplete" functionality/endpoint that Google offers does not provide ZIP code. We're now checking out if we can pull it through another way. So far this other option would seem to have a bad impact on the speed and performance of the address field. We're still digging into it but I can't promise what the outcome would be unfortunately...