Sync of emails

Since the year is coming to end, it is time to reevaluate the usage of pipedrive. I like pipedrive, especially the option of customisability. I like that you keep separate information in different levels - person, organisation and deals (pipelines).

Where I see the space for improvement? Emails.

Group emailing - no possibility to preview the emails for check.

Email syncing - really pain in the ass right now. If you have two deals with the same person, it is a nightmare. If you have more sales people syncing the mails, same situation - no option to easily attach or realocate emails, especially for admin person if you do not own emails.

We might use pipedrive differently - we are B2B SaaS, where you do a lot of deals with same people. Emails are one of the few things which bothers me a lot.

0 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Clarissa Silvino
    Clarissa Silvino Moderator Posts: 99 PIPEDRIVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    100 Comments Pipedrive Employee
    edited February 25 #2

Hello @Martin Pecha, thank you very much for reaching - this is Clarissa from the Support Department team.

I'd like to first thank you for your words and informations. We're constantly trying to improve our system and, for sure, our customers feedbacks are pretty important for that.

In regards of the group emailing thing, that's a great thing and I'll make sure to share this with our product team. The possibility to have a sneak peek of the email before sending it would be very helpful and I hope this can be checked.

Now, in regards of the email sync flow, I understand your side and also suggestions, but I'd like to shed some informations with you if you allow me to. 

Right now one single person can have more than one deal attached to it, as you said. I understand this might be painful to you, but as the system cannot distinguish from each deal an email with that person belongs to, this cannot be done automatically, but you can always manually attach one email to a deal through the email box: https://sharing.pipedrive.com/ImqTqA

It is indeed a limitation of the system due to the current logic of Pipedrive, but as I said, there is always room for improvement.

As for the other people's email sync, I once again can relate to your information and hope we can check this out to be better, but for the moment, due to privacy reasons, emails are the only private part of Pipedrive. Your users can decide if they want to share emails with the company or not, which I can understand it can be painful for the admin users, but this is done to make the system more secure. 

Besides that, every email that belongs to two different users, will have their own ID linked with the user ID. A thread is formed when you send one email, and the next email is for example being sent by clicking on forward, reply or reply all. le. The email client you use sends the email to Pipedrive including an ID code. Emails with the same ID given by the email client are linked to each other in a thread. When one specific user send this email, the ID of the email thread it is on this user record. This is also attached to the way Pipedrive's always looks for an item owner within the system and, unfortunately, cannot be changed.

My advice here, to not to have those emails duplicated within the deal's details view, would be to have an agreement with your sales representatives to have only one of them sharing those emails with everyone else. This might help to not to pollute your view.

Hope this all makes sense to you and, once again, thank you for your detailed feedback and time.

If you have more doubts or need more help, you're always welcome to reach out to our Support team via [email protected] or in app chat.

• Martin Pecha_2338
    Martin Pecha_2338 Posts: 192
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited January 2021 #3

Hello @Martin Pecha, thank you very much for reaching - this is Clarissa from the Support Department team.

I'd like to first thank you for your words and informations. We're constantly trying to improve our system and, for sure, our customers feedbacks are pretty important for that.

In regards of the group emailing thing, that's a great thing and I'll make sure to share this with our product team. The possibility to have a sneak peek of the email before sending it would be very helpful and I hope this can be checked.

Now, in regards of the email sync flow, I understand your side and also suggestions, but I'd like to shed some informations with you if you allow me to. 

Right now one single person can have more than one deal attached to it, as you said. I understand this might be painful to you, but as the system cannot distinguish from each deal an email with that person belongs to, this cannot be done automatically, but you can always manually attach one email to a deal through the email box: https://sharing.pipedrive.com/ImqTqA

It is indeed a limitation of the system due to the current logic of Pipedrive, but as I said, there is always room for improvement.

As for the other people's email sync, I once again can relate to your information and hope we can check this out to be better, but for the moment, due to privacy reasons, emails are the only private part of Pipedrive. Your users can decide if they want to share emails with the company or not, which I can understand it can be painful for the admin users, but this is done to make the system more secure. 

Besides that, every email that belongs to two different users, will have their own ID linked with the user ID. A thread is formed when you send one email, and the next email is for example being sent by clicking on forward, reply or reply all. le. The email client you use sends the email to Pipedrive including an ID code. Emails with the same ID given by the email client are linked to each other in a thread. When one specific user send this email, the ID of the email thread it is on this user record. This is also attached to the way Pipedrive's always looks for an item owner within the system and, unfortunately, cannot be changed.

My advice here, to not to have those emails duplicated within the deal's details view, would be to have an agreement with your sales representatives to have only one of them sharing those emails with everyone else. This might help to not to pollute your view.

Hope this all makes sense to you and, once again, thank you for your detailed feedback and time.

If you have more doubts or need more help, you're always welcome to reach out to our Support team via [email protected] or in app chat.

@Clarissa Silvino thanks for such a fast reply - we have already had a discussion few months ago about this with @Mike van der Valk 

I totally understand and I just want to give feedback to your suggestions, just to see, where are the bottlenecks

Attaching emails viea email box and sharing of emails

The temporary solution you suggest about emails being duplicated is hard to mainain and as far as I know - when people have automatic email sync, you cannot partially share or not share specific emails - if you have not unlink them. This requires a lot of manual work for sales team as well as coordination, which in the amount of emails is not possible. The better solution would be to not use automatic email sync, but using smart bcc deal address - but that also requires a lot of commitment. 

Reallocating emails between deals

I understand the issue of privacy, however being able to reatach email, which is not mine should be more sort of front-end thing. All people already see the mails in detail, it is just linked to the wrong one automatically as one person is under multiple deals.

Threading

I also know, there was a fix based for threading - it used to be, that the thread was considered, when there is the same subject and at least two other same people in email - which created issues when someone was in cc, like campaign emailing etc. - there was an option to ask support to cancel this - how is it now? the thread is considered, when someone hit reply?

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Posts: 518
    edited February 25 #4

My most significant difficulty with Pipedrive is the email function. It makes me go cross-eyed' so to speak and so I do not use it in earnest. I operate with two full screen browsers side by side. One with pipedrive and the other with outlook mail. There is something about the email integration in pipedrive that just doesn't work and it stands out because everything else is so very good. 

• Clarissa Silvino
    Clarissa Silvino Moderator Posts: 99 PIPEDRIVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    100 Comments Pipedrive Employee
    edited December 2020 #5

It is our pleasure, @Martin Pecha, thank you for helping us to be better.

I'll be answering your points as you made them:

Attaching emails viea email box and sharing of emails

So, here I'm a bit confuse, but with the full email sync you can still decide to share all emails or to manually decide which email will be shared: https://sharing.pipedrive.com/TzUH3T. I understand the manual thing and I totally understand your side, so I hope this can be checked soon.

Reallocating emails between deals

For this part I'd say it is not correct if the emails are being connected with the wrong deals - have you checked this with our Support team maybe? The thing is: an email will only automatically link with a deal if the contact person has only one deal open - so, if there is multiple deals attached to that person, then this would have to be done manually. Although, if that email belongs to a thread, then I can understand why you're having this wrong, but it is a matter that will require a deeper investigation that should be done with our Support team, with examples.

Threading

On this matter, unfortunately, we still have the threading rule even though we're been trying to improve it for a while now. There are a few workarounds that we can try to check, but it is better to be done through the Support because we'll need to understand the specific case in order to suggest the best option to go. 

Hope this is a bit more clear, but once again, I'd like to show our appreciation for your time to help us improve the system.

Happy holidays in advance.

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Admin Posts: 3,155 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    edited December 2020 #6

My most significant difficulty with Pipedrive is the email function. It makes me go cross-eyed' so to speak and so I do not use it in earnest. I operate with two full screen browsers side by side. One with pipedrive and the other with outlook mail. There is something about the email integration in pipedrive that just doesn't work and it stands out because everything else is so very good. 

Hi @Brad Krause , we appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you like Pipedrive so much.

If you're having trouble using email sync I recommend taking a look at our Academy videos and Knowledge Base tutorials, as we've got pretty much every case covered there :)

If after that you still find yourself struggling or have questions, please reach out to our Support team and they will help you. 🚀

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Posts: 518
    edited December 2020 #7

I dont think I'm having an issue. I think it's more that how mail is implemented in pipedrive is just kinds clumsy and difficult to follow conversations. But I will check out that info. thanks. 

• Martin Pecha_2338
    Martin Pecha_2338 Posts: 192
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited January 2021 #8

Thanks for your structured response. I wanted to point out, that it is hard to manually reallocate via the manual decision. Especially if I can manually realocate only my own emails. We all have full email sync as it would take a lot of time to decide and sort emails manually. It is almost impossible to go through all deals and discuss who will share email or not as it takes a lot of time - that is why I think in the future, the ability to unpin other's sync emails in deals might be a benefit.

• Vladimir Dubakin
    Vladimir Dubakin Ex-Pipedrivers Posts: 101
    Pipedrive Employee
    edited January 2021 #9

@Martin Pecha 

Fair enough, thank you for the suggestion! I will share that with the product manager.

However, considering the GDPR regulations we might not be able to let users hide other people emails (unless it will be possible to hide an email just for you, not for other users, but in that case that could create additional confusion and difference between the accounts).

In any case, thank you very much for the suggestion - I will pass it over for the PM to look into.

Kind regards,

Vladimir