Data Field Placement Dilemma

Options
Suzanne Van de Ven
Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
First Comment First Anniversary
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

I'd love a vote. I am going back and forth on where I should add "Lead Gen Source" with a list of multiple options. I originally had it with the person as a data field, but there are multiple people sometimes tied to a deal. I then changed it and made it a "lead" field and as leads are added to leads inbox it is a required field to fill out. We also add prospect directly to "deals" so it's a required field there obviously. 

Where is the best place to add it? If I think about how I want to use it in the future, I think the field as a mandatory "person" field is better because if I want to segment an audience based on their lead gen source I don't want to limit myself to only "leads" given that audience is so small. I may want to open it up to contacts whom we're trying to win-back. The bottom line is I want this data field to inform reporting and what is the best way to land an account. 

Thank you for your input. 

Comments

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021 #2
    Options

We have the Source: Google, cold call, radio ad, customer ref. Etc. as a deal details field called ‘Source’. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021 #3
    Options

People change companies. I think you want to know where the deal revenue came from. 

• Dez
    Dez Member Posts: 27
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited February 2022 #4
    Options

We add lead source at the deal level. 

• Suzanne Van de Ven
    Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2021 #5
    Options

We add lead source at the deal level. 

Thanks. I have it at the deal/lead level as required, but I also have it at the person level now as not required. Ugh. This was because we built an API from a web form on our site and for whatever reason, it won't work if it is a custom field in lead/deal but it does if it's a custom field added as a person. I'm not sure why we are having this issue as I wasn't the developer but was given that feedback when trying a few different alternatives.