Would you find it helpful to have multiple organizations tied to a contact?

Comments

• Jeremy Gulley_11062
    Jeremy Gulley_11062 Member Posts: 80
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary Solution Provider
    edited July 2023 #62

Unfortunately there's no way to add more than one "connected" organization. You can create custom organization fields (see below) but, this creates a few problems in itself.  You would want to use the default connected as the "master" if you will. Out of curiosity, what is the use case?

https://www.loom.com/share/f6f26faa0a3148b78469bf3cd060c256
  • Jed Chrisman
    Jed Chrisman Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #63

Unfortunately there's no way to add more than one "connected" organization. You can create custom organization fields (see below) but, this creates a few problems in itself.  You would want to use the default connected as the "master" if you will. Out of curiosity, what is the use case?

https://www.loom.com/share/f6f26faa0a3148b78469bf3cd060c256

Thanks for replying.  I figured it wasn't possible.

In our company we use Pipedrive to tie each company/organization to an owner/employee of the organization.  It is possible for people to own more than one business unrelated to the "connected" organization.  Currently, if there is a business which shares the same legal entity (Federal Tax ID), than we have ways to differentiate, but when the organization is completely different from the original it make for some interesting activities.  I like the suggestion you replied with.  I will try it out.

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 374
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #64

@Jed Chrisman I have a very detailed breakdown of how we solved this here as a response. Doesn't seem like I can link exactly to my response. https://community.pipedrive.com/post/the-ability-to-assign-multiple-organisations-to-a-single-person-601088a3d35e6e03ef9cc76d

• Cody Harrison
    Cody Harrison Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #65

Has this feature been added yet? I have multiple contacts that are a part of multiple organizations and would like to keep their information all in one place.

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited July 2023 #66

Has this feature been added yet? I have multiple contacts that are a part of multiple organizations and would like to keep their information all in one place.

Wish I could say it had @Cody Harrison but it hasn't. I'll connect with our team to see if we can up the priority on this but thats no guarantee unfortunately.

• Sam_31522
    Sam_31522 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #67

Def add this!

• Gino_31123
    Gino_31123 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #68

This is also something that is essential to our business, and not having it can be a dealbreaker for us to further work with Pipedrive.

• Doug Gruber
    Doug Gruber Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #69

I'm into the first hour of my trial with PIPEDRIVE.  I work with hotel owners, and many of them own more than one hotel.  I really need the ability to link a contact to more than one organization.  This could be a deal-breaker for me buying a subscription or not.  Please let me know what your team is thinking in regard to a timeline for adding this feature.  Doug

• Georgina Maud
    Georgina Maud Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #70

It would be awesome if the priority could be upped. Cheers

• Cihan kranda_20697
    Cihan kranda_20697 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #71

Any update on this ? 

We need this feature too. 

It would be easy if we could add more companies in that suggested "custom field" in stead of creating multiple fields "linked organisations"

• Michelle Martin
    Michelle Martin Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited June 2023 #72

Hi,

I can see that organisations can be linked - but hierarchical only?  I have a person that is currently connected to multiple organisations of different categories that aren't directly connected?  I want to be able to the the individual 'connected with these  organisations but it appears clunky?  Please advise.

• Michelle Martin
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #73

This is an essential for my team also. :)

• Fabrizio Nicolosi_33821
    Fabrizio Nicolosi_33821 Member Posts: 125
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2023 #74

Hi @Michelle Martin the only way is to set companies linked together, for example as parent compan.

To do that go into the organization detail and select ”related organizations” in the left column. You will be able to select the type of company relation.

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #75

Keep in mind that even though a person can only be connected to one organization they can be connected to deals across different organizations. For what that's worth to your situation. 

• Michelle Martin
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #76

Hi @Michelle Martin the only way is to set companies linked together, for example as parent compan.

To do that go into the organization detail and select ”related organizations” in the left column. You will be able to select the type of company relation.

Thank you.  However, those companies are independent to one another.  It's about the relationship of the individual between these organisations, if you follow me?

I'm in marketing, to link a company as a parent or sister would be confusing and impractical.  I'm sure I've achieved this on other CRM's in the past.  Thanks.

• Michelle Martin
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #77

Keep in mind that even though a person can only be connected to one organization they can be connected to deals across different organizations. For what that's worth to your situation. 

Thank you Brad.  This is more or an Influencer for events that connects with certain organisations as he is Chair on a board for various that are of no direct relation to one another.  It looks like I will have to create a note and paste in each one - not ideal really.

• Patricia Allam
    Patricia Allam Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #78

Hi, joining the conversation. Would be essential to link multiple organisations to one person.

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #79

another option.

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #80

Yet another option is to add a "person" field to organization details. This would allow for any person in your database that is associated with organization A to be associated with organization B.  

• Dana_35733
    Dana_35733 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #81

Is this feature (multiple organizations for one contact) actively being developed? 

Personally, I would be happy to turn off a whole host of other features and functionality to get this one feature if needed due to info not meshing well with multiple orgs. 

I'm on day 1 of my trial a few hours into testing the way we would use Pipedrive and already seeing that the absence of this feature likely makes it unusable for my company, too much confusion and duplication of information. Otherwise, Pipedrive seems to have exactly the features we're looking for, some of them highly specific, so I hope there is a solution in the works!

Mike van der Valk !

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #82
    Dana said:

Is this feature (multiple organizations for one contact) actively being developed? 

Personally, I would be happy to turn off a whole host of other features and functionality to get this one feature if needed due to info not meshing well with multiple orgs. 

I'm on day 1 of my trial a few hours into testing the way we would use Pipedrive and already seeing that the absence of this feature likely makes it unusable for my company, too much confusion and duplication of information. Otherwise, Pipedrive seems to have exactly the features we're looking for, some of them highly specific, so I hope there is a solution in the works!

Mike van der Valk !

I'm not sure what your exact use case is for requiring that a person be directly associated with multiple companies/organizations but there are several ways to address this issue but every persons case is different. 

You can ad a 'person' field to organization details to associate a person already in the database with that organization record.

also, deals in organization B can be associated with people from Organization A. 

In the case that a person is on the board or something of another organization in our database I simply put a not in parenthesis in the name field of his record. 

John Smith (also on board of xyz co.)

• Mike Sorensen
    Mike Sorensen Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #83
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Don't know the use cases?  Read the threads...

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #84
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

I was replying To Dana and the specific use case they have. Dana didnt state it. 

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited July 2023 #85
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Hi @Dana 

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately it's not in active development at the moment but resides in our backlog. I know we're working on putting a team together that will focus more on the contact area in Pipedrive. I will pass this suggestion on to them as well. Hopefully it can become one of the first things they can work on but I can't make any promises unfortunately :( 

As Brad and others said in this thread, there are some workarounds with custom fields for example. Not ideal but it could work for you.

• Dana_35733
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #86
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Mike van der Valk

Brad Krause - in some cases we have a single human who is the main contact directly managing a dozen different physical locations. It is essential for our operations that the full contact information is linked to each distinct physical location ("company"). We want to avoid duplicative information with room for error in our records so having the same person listed a dozen different times would be a challenge, especially as these are often multi-year client relationships, and contacts and contact info can change. Ideally CRM would help us better manage these complex relationships and not create new pitfalls. I've been looking at workarounds but because we are working with service to physical locations, we are really trying to tie the contact to all of the "company" information, not just the name. I've explored the workarounds with custom fields in the person and/or company but the most functional option I've found for us is indeed just having the same person listed 12 times. If you know a better solution, I'd love to hear it!

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #87
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

@Dana 

We have the same situation with physical locations. A property manager (John Smith) that works for ABC Co. (a property management company)

John Smith manages 5 of his clients (Condominium Associations) that John Smith contracts us to do landscape maintenance at. Usually 1 or 3 year contracts.

John Smith is associated with ABC Co. organization record. Because that is where he works. 

His 5 properties are called (example name):

Property 1

Property 2

Property 3

Property 4

Property 5

Each of those properties are an organization record and they are named:

ABC Co. (Property 1)

ABC Co. (Property 2)

etc. 

We often name the ABC Co. organization where John Smith actually works: 'ABC Co. (Corporate)'

With three spaces before the ( just so it sorts to the top.

When we create deals for Property 1 for John Smith he can be associated with those deals even though they are at a different organization records.

This scheme then also allows for any contacts that are located at the actual property (Condo board members) to be people associated with that site organization record ABC Co. (Property 1). 

Now to associate John Smith directly with the ABC Co. (Property 1) with all his details create a custom organization details field called 'Person' This will allow you to enter John smith FROM THE DATABASE His record will be hyperlinked. It shows up as blue text. It's not just a text field with his name. When you click it, it takes you to all his details. We call it "Primary Contact"

Then we also have a similar 'Organization' type field Called 'Bill To' Which will associate : ABC Co. (corporate) that is located in deal details. So that info gets hyperlinked as the Bill to address with all the info attached. Attached to the deal.

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #88
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

examples:

Like in the case of Mandel below. We prepare most proposals for someone at corporate. But now we can put the on site property managers and other contacts that work at each site in that site specific record. If the property leaves the property management company and goes to a new one we just make a note in the organization name: ABC Co. (Property 1) (Went to XYZ Co.) 

And we make a new record for that property associated with the new management company. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #89
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

We could have also created a separate field for "Management Company" rather than combine it into the single organization field. That's an option. But for us at this time we see no need and wanted to keep it as simple as possible. But if you are doing mail merges and need the clean property name then that may be the route to go. 

• Dana_35733
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #90
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Thank you for the advice! This might be workable, your example helps and I'm testing it out with the "primary contact" person-type field of the organization. It's a shame that you can't see the contact info on the org page but the hyperlink may be workable.  I can tell this would be confusing for some less software-oriented team members but it might be worth it.  I just found that you can also require fields so the person working in the CRM can't forget to link a person or organization, which will help keep all info flowing and organized in the right spots even if the system and these adjustments are a little confusing to CRM users at launch. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2023 #91
    Dana said:

Mike van der Valk !

Yes, It can be confusing for sure. it takes a 'minute' for people to fully understand.  Especially if they create a deal and the corporate record isn't already in pipedrive because they end up linking the new deal to the corporate record and then it needs to be switched to be linked with the organization site record and not the corporate record. 

When people repeatedly do it they get it with practice.