Data Cleanse Best Practise

Options
Ged Leigh
Ged Leigh Member Posts: 9
First Comment
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

I have a 32k database in Pipedrive where we know the data quality is poor.  I am using an external company to cleanse the data which wil be delivered as an Excel sheet.  

Question: How do I overlay the clean data onto Pipedrive without losing existing contacts that are already linked to Leads and Deals?

Comments

• Manuel Oliveira
    Manuel Oliveira Admin Posts: 1,071 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    edited June 2021 #2
    Options

Hi @Ged Leigh , importing new data to your account does not make your existing data disappear. You can even prevent creating duplicates with your import, just have a look via the link.

🔎 Learn all about any of Pipedrive’s features from our Knowledge Base tutorials in your preferred language and our Academy video courses. Simply search for your topic!

• Jessica Cromwell
    Options

@Manuel Oliveira what if the name of the person or company is not an exact match? Like "ABC company" vs "ABC company inc." or "John Murray" vs. "John Murrray"?

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Options

@Jessica Cromwell - You can use Dedupely which is a lot smarter that way.

• svamann
    svamann Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    edited December 2022 #5
    Options

@Jessica Cromwell unfortunately, Pipedrive duplicate detection is quite primitive. It does not detect similar writing of any kind. It only ever considers exact matches.

And the "duplication rule" is fixed, i.e., you cannot try alternative approaches, e.g., by name, by email, ..., without the engineers changing the rule for you account, which then applies to anything you do. Not just the duplication search.

If you want to reliably export -> clean up -> import, I would recommend you export the "ID" fields and import them to the respective "Pipedrive System ID" fields. This will ensure entries are updated, even if the names etc. change.

@Amit Sarda - Pipedrive Consultant - AmitSarda.xyz it is really annoying that you guys keep recommending us to use an extra paid service to compensate for broken features in Pipedrive (that we already pay for) :(