Contact Sync - more than useless feature (at the moment)

Georg Wässa
Georg Wässa Member Posts: 18
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

We started using Pipedrive in our small company with 5 employees a couple of weeks ago and we absolutely love it <3

Therefore I do not understand why the contact sync is so totally useless designed.

I undertand that a two way sync for all contacts will produce a lot of duplicates but a sync feature is useless when I am not able to see the conatcs of my colleague who is working on the same projects and products with the same contacts.

Please add the option to sync ALL Pipedrive contatcs in the one-way-sync. I don't really want to pay 10 bucks extra per user for piesync or any other third party tool.

by the way. I tried a workaround and messed up nearly 10 percent of my contacts till I stopped the sync. There should be a preview or a possibility to create a backup...

If I must rate: 

Every feature of Pipedrive 10/10

Contact sync (0/10)

Please help :)

1 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Janis Rozenblats
    Janis Rozenblats Posts: 169 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited February 2022 #2

Hi @Georg Wässa can you pls clarify which contact sync are you referring to?

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2020 #3

Hi @Georg Wässa

Answering to my colleague @Janis Rozenblats I believe you're referring to this feature, am I correct? We're sorry to hear it's breaking your heart (but delighted to hear you're loving everything else about Pipedrive).

One reason why this might be happening is because the visibility settings of some or all of the contacts that belong to your colleague don't allow other users (like you) to see them. This will happen even with 2-way sync activated: each user can only sync the contacts that they are the owner of (either in Pipedrive or in the external platform - Google Contacts, for example). Otherwise all users would end up syncing other user's contacts and being able to see them, which might be a privacy breach.

If your end goal is to have user A sync all the People and Organizations that make up the full Contacts list in Pipedrive, then first you must make user A the owner of all of those contacts in Pipedrive.

A couple of quick ways to double-check/fix this would be:

1 - Go to Tools & Apps > Contact Sync > Change Settings > Visibility and check what option is selected there. If you want all the contacts you sync to be visible to all your colleagues who use PIpedrive, you should choose "Entire Company". This will take effect for contacts you sync from this moment onwards. This visibility permission is just the default for the sync and is still something you can change on a case-by-case basis for each contact.

2 - Ask you colleague to check the visibility setting for one of the contacts they synced that you can't see, and ask them to change it to a setting that includes you. If there's multiple contacts, they can make that change in bulk using the List View.

Explore these and other troubleshooting options here. If the issue persists, our Support team can help you with a more technical approach.

• Georg Wässa
    Georg Wässa Member Posts: 18
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2020 #4

Hi Ines,

thanks for your reply. It's not a matter of the visibility settings because all contacts are visible for everyone in the company.

My problem is:

• Person A, B and C are working on the same project / pipeline.
    • Person A generates a lead with the new customer X and generates the contact. So A ist the owner of X.
    • Person B and C are working together with A in a team but because of the ownership of the contact only A has the contact synced to his G Suite and to all our other apps which sync with the G Suite
    • Person B and  C have to create customer X in G Suite but they have to deactivate the two way sync or their in G Suite created contaxt X will be synced to Pipedrive and create dupliactes or other trouble

I understand your point about the privacy breach but I can't see any problems when you have anything like "team contacts"

Thanks for helping

• Bert Calatz
    Bert Calatz Member Posts: 60
    First Comment
    edited April 2020 #5

Good point and well explained @Georg Wässa .

We also experience challenges in this area. Experimented a lot with piesync and also with one way sync pipedrive - G-suite and so on. It never really becomes ideal. So a more permanent solution within pipedrive is welcome

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2020 #6

Thank you for shedding more light on your use cases @Georg Wässa and @Bert Calatz !

Indeed Pipedrive doesn't currently have a concept of team contacts - visibility can be shared, but not ownership, and I see that's what's causing you trouble. 

The Merge Duplicates feature can help in some cases, but it's only accessible to Admin users, and whatever contact is merged into the primary one stops being synced to its owner's contact list, which wouldn't work for you.

I've reached out to the team in charge of this feature and have made sure your feedback reaches them.