Read-only custom fields

Peter Hultqvist
Peter Hultqvist Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited December 2023 in Ideas and Product Feedback #1

We have custom field for persons in Pipedrive that indicate their subscription status in mailchimp.

This field is automatically updated using the API.

I wish I could mark the field as read-only for users so that it can only be updated using the API and not modified by accident by users.

Tagged:
0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

0 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2020 #2

Thank you for your feedback @Peter Hultqvist , I can see how that would be useful. I've forwarded your suggestion to our team for consideration.

• Chris McQuillan
    Chris McQuillan Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2022 #3

This would be very beneficial.

Currently, if users are able to alter id's which link up to other apps via the api, data in the third party is vulnerable to corruption.

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2020 #4

This would be very beneficial.

Currently, if users are able to alter id's which link up to other apps via the api, data in the third party is vulnerable to corruption.

Hi @Chris McQuillan @Peter Hultqvist !

This is now possible in Company Settings > Manager Users > Permissions Sets. 

Here’s how to stay on top of what’s coming down the line:

🔮 Follow What's Planned to know what we're working on currently and what’s to come.

🌟 Follow What’s New and don’t miss any new releases.

🧪 Join our Research and Beta Testing channel for the chance to try out early versions and give us your opinion about new and improved features before they go live.

🔎 Learn all about any of Pipedrive’s features from our Knowledge Base tutorials and our Academy video courses. Simply search for your topic!

• Suzanne Van de Ven
    Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2022 #5

We're wanting to lock down certain fields for our Sales Team to prevent them from entering an organization name that is a duplicate or isn't the exact name we already added to pipedrive. Is this possible? We're told no, but I wanted to ask this group. Since we have all the organizations already loaded, our guidance to our sales team is to link a contact to an Organization. If this is possible for organization, is it possible for other fields? There are a number of fields we'd like to lock down/grey out but still allow them to see what's populated. 

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited August 2023 #6

Hi @Suzanne Van de Ven 

Unfortunately it's not directly possible. I'll share the feedback with our team. You can use an automation in Pipedrive. It could send an email as notification or revert even to the old value if someone tries to edit the wrong data field.

• Suzanne Van de Ven
    Suzanne Van de Ven Member Posts: 29
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2023 #7

Hi @Suzanne Van de Ven 

Unfortunately it's not directly possible. I'll share the feedback with our team. You can use an automation in Pipedrive. It could send an email as notification or revert even to the old value if someone tries to edit the wrong data field.

okay, thanks! 

• Bob Klein
    Bob Klein Member Posts: 10
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited February 2021 #8

@Peter Hultqvist 

I saw your note and thought you might like to know that we built an integration that does the exact same thing

We have custom field for persons in Pipedrive that indicate their subscription status in mailchimp.

This field is automatically updated using the API.

We built Target Robot - Sync with Sales to sync contacts, companies, deals, and marketing campaigns between SalesCRMs and Mailchimp.  You can find it here in the Pipedrive marketplace.

You might want to consider it as an option if you want to do more than just grab the marketing opt-in status. We also grab the campaign data as well as clicks and opens. We show all of the events in notes as well.

Please let us know if you would like a demo or to just chat about it.

Thanks,

Bob

Target Robot

• Ian Downie
    Ian Downie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited August 2023 #9

I want this too - the ability to create READ ONLY custom fields (to protect or lock certain fields) that can only be edited by users with permission to do so.  I think most other CRMs I have used have this basic feature.

• Iqbal Shariff
    Iqbal Shariff Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited August 2023 #10

Hi @Suzanne Van de Ven 

Hello Mr. Mike:

Are there any updates on this new feature?

Looking forward to your reply. 

• Vladimir Popov_34229
    Vladimir Popov_34229 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited August 2023 #11

Dear Community,

I've found some older threads here but wanted to bring it up again because I think its a simple but very effective and needed feature. 

The ability to lock data fields / set them data fields to read only.

We're building custom integrations to ERP systems and transfer data into different directions / systems.

Whenever Pipedrive is not the leading system (e.g. for customer data  fields which come from ERP) we're running into the problem that sales teams can update the data in Pipedrive but this data will be overwritten on next sync (which is correct). 

We need the possibility to lock these fields so the sales team is not even able to edit those (e.g. ERP Customer ID etc.)

I think basically everyone who works with direct data integrations is running into this.

What do you think? Any possibility to bring this discussion up again?

Best and thank you very much

• Daniel Bachmann_45847
    Daniel Bachmann_45847 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited August 2023 #12

Hey Vladimir,

I don't know of any lock functionality. However, I have an idea that may help you. 

You can use an automation to reset the value of a field to its previous value if it has been changed.

What to do:

1. Create a trigger for "Deal updated".
    2. Make the condition that any of the fields you want to lock has changed. Make sure to use OR.
    3. Add an action that sets all the values for the fields you want to lock to the previos value. Make sure to select "XXX before"

Technically this doesn't prevent your users from changing the fields values. However, it resets them immediately which has the same effect.
    This can be quite some work if you have many fields that you want to lock, but it does the trick.

• Vladimir Popov_34229
    Vladimir Popov_34229 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited August 2023 #13

Hey Vladimir,

I don't know of any lock functionality. However, I have an idea that may help you. 

You can use an automation to reset the value of a field to its previous value if it has been changed.

What to do:

1. Create a trigger for "Deal updated".
    2. Make the condition that any of the fields you want to lock has changed. Make sure to use OR.
    3. Add an action that sets all the values for the fields you want to lock to the previos value. Make sure to select "XXX before"

Technically this doesn't prevent your users from changing the fields values. However, it resets them immediately which has the same effect.
    This can be quite some work if you have many fields that you want to lock, but it does the trick.

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your suggestion - this is a workaround that we are currently using.

But it has two side effects:

• If you update the data via an scheduled API import it will also revert back to the old value. My goal is that i just prevent USERS from updating the fields. But there is no filter for this. 
    • If you work with Webhooks they get triggered by the Workflow since the field has technically been updated and then reverted back to original value. 

Best

Vladimir

• Bobby_37242
    Bobby_37242 Member Posts: 23
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited August 2023 #14

Hi @Suzanne Van de Ven 

@Mike van der Valk Any updates on this? 

Maybe planned, instead of just an idea?

• Josh Lawrence
    Josh Lawrence Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited August 2023 #15

I too would love an update like this!!

I would also suggest to be able to "lock" a field from user update, but still allow the field to be editable via manager/admin/automation!

• Manuel Oliveira
    Manuel Oliveira Admin Posts: 1,051 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2023 #16

Hi everyone, we have a new Read-Only fields feature! Find out all about it here.

This discussion has been closed.