📣 Pipedrive Project management - Beta release

Mike van der Valk
Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

Dear Community Members, 

We’re excited to introduce the closed beta release of Pipedrive Project management. You are part of the first ~70 carefully selected companies to get access. 

Project management is there to help you continue your project delivery after the closing of a deal so that there is no need anymore to hack deal pipelines and or have difficult set-ups with third party tools on top of Pipedrive. It will help you split the process of sales and after-sales while still keeping it all in one tool connected to your valuable customer data and interactions.

We're just getting started with project management and as of now you can:

• Link projects to deals, people and organisations
  • Link multiple projects to one deal
  • Create your project plan with activities 
  • Drag & drop to arrange activities on the plan
  • Add files to projects

Project management is free to use during beta and will have competitive pricing when we understand from your feedback that the value you are looking for in the feature is there later this year -- we aim to allow you to add users to the project area only paying only for that functionality as well. 

Continuous improvement is already planned for the rest of this year and years to come. Some of the things we're working on are:

• The ability to write notes in projects and have discussions on them with your team
  • Grouping of activities based on stages of the project 
  • Custom project fields
  • Emails in a project
  • Workflow automation
  • And much more

We’re inviting a select group of users to participate in the beta and will continually be adding more as the system capacity and functionality expands. 

Thank you for being among the first to have a streamlined after-sales delivery experience inside Pipedrive, we’re delighted to have you in! 

Comments

• ים אלי
    ים אלי Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022 #2

Thats Amazing! 

The option to have a template of tasks and apply it to a project is pretty awesome. One thing I am missing and you might want to consider adding, is the option to set a default time frame for each task as well. That way, you also remove the excessive need to schedule everything each time, or build automations for it.

For example, if I know that when the project starts then the first thing I need to spend my time on is defining and planning, and it should take me  up to 3 days, I could set this up at the project template level for that task, and when I use the template, everything or at least most of it is already scheduled for me and I don't have to spend so much time on scheduling and rescheduling or calculating dates.

Just an offer :) Since that in project management the scheduling, time frames and milestones are so crucial.

While we're at it, it could be great to have an option to choose and schedule a task time frame for working purposes, while having another field  dedicated only to the "Deadline" date.  So I could see when I need to work on what, but also - how close am I to the deadline for that task. And also have the option for recurring tasks.

I have many things in mind, but I think that its already much to start with. Would be great to see if the community thinks as me as well :) 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #3

Thats Amazing! 

The option to have a template of tasks and apply it to a project is pretty awesome. One thing I am missing and you might want to consider adding, is the option to set a default time frame for each task as well. That way, you also remove the excessive need to schedule everything each time, or build automations for it.

For example, if I know that when the project starts then the first thing I need to spend my time on is defining and planning, and it should take me  up to 3 days, I could set this up at the project template level for that task, and when I use the template, everything or at least most of it is already scheduled for me and I don't have to spend so much time on scheduling and rescheduling or calculating dates.

Just an offer :) Since that in project management the scheduling, time frames and milestones are so crucial.

While we're at it, it could be great to have an option to choose and schedule a task time frame for working purposes, while having another field  dedicated only to the "Deadline" date.  So I could see when I need to work on what, but also - how close am I to the deadline for that task. And also have the option for recurring tasks.

I have many things in mind, but I think that its already much to start with. Would be great to see if the community thinks as me as well :) 

Thanks for sharing @Yam Eli I'm indeed also curious to see what everyone is thinking :) 

• John Gwin
    John Gwin Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022 #4

Task dependencies would be awesome as well.  We're looking at utilizing this for an implementation checklist for new clients essentially.  So Projects would have bucketed tasks that flow ideally.  I'm sure there's use cases for the functionality beyond ours though!

• Eduardo Arroyo
    Eduardo Arroyo Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022 #5

Awesome! Have used PipeDrive mainly for project management for a long time now!

It will be great to have a field of estimated work hours to complete, like your sales $ field now (which is what I use, put hours in the $ field),  so we can project committed workloads, by individual projects and/or for an aggregate set of projects selected from a drop down menu of your live projects... in future buckets, weeks and/or months.

... also including clients that can at least see haw their particular projects are moving, in a fashion that I feel safe that they can only see their projects and the fields I want them to see! ... this is a nice to have for later! 

• Jeff Richter
    Jeff Richter Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2022 #6

Love this idea.  Quick question on the functionality.

Will we be able to use the project mgmt after the project is set to a "won" status?  Much of our project mgmt would want the ability to capture tasks post win to manage thru the sales / customer delivery process.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #7

Will we be able to use the project mgmt after the project is set to a "won" status?  Much of our project mgmt would want the ability to capture tasks post win to manage thru the sales / customer delivery process.

@Jeff Richter although the main use case is to create a post-sales delivery project after the deal is won the project can be created and linked to a deal at any time. So it's up to you how you use it.

• Jeff Richter
    edited May 2022 #8

Thanks for the update.  Wasn't sure the exact target but the post "win" project is the big plus for us so that's great.

• Gonçalo
    Gonçalo Member Posts: 14
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #9

In my experience, gantt chart (something similar to a calendar view of the tasks) and dependencies are the base for Project Managing tasks. How seamlessly the integration is done  with the deals will make all the difference. Pipedrive could become in a year's time the project management goto product for most small-medium companies.

• Hossein Mohsenian_8278
    Hossein Mohsenian_8278 Member Posts: 78
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #10

Hi Mike and all Pipedrivers!

Super excited to start testing/using Pipedrive Project Management module. It launches today, right? If so, please provide the access, cheers!

Hoss from Adelaide

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #11

Hi Mike and all Pipedrivers!

Super excited to start testing/using Pipedrive Project Management module. It launches today, right? If so, please provide the access, cheers!

Hoss from Adelaide

Hi @Hossein Mohsenian and others. Yes! The plan is today, we're still ironing out some last tweaks and expect to go live in a few hours. I'll update everyone in the channel here and through email :) 

Have a great day!

• Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #12

Anyone know how to automate creating a new project every time deal is marked as won?

Basically, every time a deal is marked as won it turns into a project and is passed on to the project Management Team. So, automatically creating a new project would be very useful, linked to the deal that triggered its creation.

Additionally, ideally templates would exist for each type of deal (templates created ahead of time by the user) and Pipedrive would ask which type of template to be used to create the new deal.

Lastly, since each project is linked to a deal, it should link automatically to the contact person of that deal.

Also, related to all Pipedrive deals too, not just projects, many deals and most projects are linked in reality to more than one contact person, so they should have that option.

Thanks

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #13
    Gonçalo said:

Anyone know how to automate creating a new project every time deal is marked as won?

Basically, every time a deal is marked as won it turns into a project and is passed on to the project Management Team. So, automatically creating a new project would be very useful, linked to the deal that triggered its creation.

Additionally, ideally templates would exist for each type of deal (templates created ahead of time by the user) and Pipedrive would ask which type of template to be used to create the new deal.

Lastly, since each project is linked to a deal, it should link automatically to the contact person of that deal.

Also, related to all Pipedrive deals too, not just projects, many deals and most projects are linked in reality to more than one contact person, so they should have that option.

Thanks

Hi @Gonçalo unfortunately this is not possible yet. Enabling automations is in our plans for next year though probably after we add custom fields. For now what you can do is create one straight from marking it as won here: 

• Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #14
    Gonçalo said:

Thanks

Thanks Mike, that sorts out the 1st and 3rd paragraphs...

1. auto create deal - check (if marked as won with create project option)
    2. templates for deal - mentioned in @Yam Eli post below
      • Can copy tasks from another previous project (if marked as won with create project option)
    3. auto link to deal contact person - check (if marked as won with create project option)
    4. Link to more contact persons (customer, contractor, tradesman, etc) - ?
    • Automations in 2022
  • Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #15

Thats Amazing! 

I agree with Yam, that would be amazing.

I'd settle for just a template of list of tasks for now, even without dates for each task included.

ex:

• Project type (template) #1 has tasks A, B and C.
    • Project type (template) #2 has tasks B, C and new task D, but not task A.
  • Jeff Richter
    edited May 2022 #16

In the "Fields" section all I see is Description.  When I go into the COMPANY/DATA FIELDS screen I don't see a way to add fields to a project.  Is it there and I am just missing it?

• Jeff Richter
    edited May 2022 #17

Can I assign a contact to a task?  Right now it seems I can only assign tasks to PipeDrive users.  Is that correct?

• Matt Lyons
    Matt Lyons Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2022 #18

When I first convert a won deal into a project, it would be nice for the  ProjectTitle to be able to be prefilled with the Deal Name. Then I can go on and edit that at the time if I wish - or simply save and keep moving on.

In the Projects overview section. It would be handy to be able to remove some of the columns that aren't relevant to me. For example, contact person, organisation and owner aren't really things I need to see when looking at an overview of all my projects. I'd like the option to customise which columns I can see and which I can hide.

I plan to use the 'Labels' section to show me the current status of the job. I'd like to be able to edit that status (and all other fields) from within the main projects overview section. I don't want to need to go INTO the actual project to edit it. I want a quick and easy editing of labels so I can get a quick snapshot overview of this project.

Most of our projects are quick and simple jobs. So we might only touch on them for a very short period of time. Going right into the project job details is an extra layer of work. If we could do more editing of these projects from the birdseye view that would be great.

All my jobs are linked to invoices in Xero. This is all connected to Pipedrive. It would be great to not only be able to link that invoice to that job (invoice has lots of valuable job information) but also to be able to really quickly view that invoice from the top level section. Even if it's just as simple to begin with as implementing in the actual project the EXACT same invoice function that is already used in the deals section. Maybe it's possible to effectively copy that exact same code/widget functionality and literally just drop it in here. That's a great 80/20 to get it going.

These are the main immediate 80/20 things that would get things started for me with the type of projects I do.

• Hossein Mohsenian_8278
    edited May 2022 #19

My thoughts after few minutes testing, have raised them internally, however thought of having them here as well so other Pipedrivers could comment as well. 

1. Project status should be prominently stay at the top, perhaps next to the project title. 
    2. The fields and files from deal, should be carried forward automatically, with option to not-including them. By default (at least for own use) most of the fields/files on the sale stage = 'deal' are required in the deployment stage = 'job'.
    3. The label must provide 'more colours'.
    4. It would be great to have a separate list of activities from the sales category.
    5. It would be good to have some templates ready! For example in our case we may 'residential' and 'commercial' templates and for each we could define set of activities for each, this way the system eliminates manual task creation each time for each project.
    6. At the projects list, should be a way to duplicate the job (project). Currently the only option is 'delete'.
    7. The label colour should actually just highlight the entire row colour, instead of allocating a column to this (let's not be generous on the list area, so we can save some space for other important data). I understand certain times 2 labels could be associated to a job, but there should be a checkbox to let user know whether multiple labels are needed or we stick to a single label per project
  • Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #20

Can I assign a contact to a task?  Right now it seems I can only assign tasks to PipeDrive users.  Is that correct?

Hi @Jeff Richter you can still click on the task in the plan to go to the edit module like you're used to from Pipedrive activities and add a contact person and organization linked to the activity as well. Check this GIF: https://sharing.pipedrive.com/5H6cOX

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #21

In the "Fields" section all I see is Description.  When I go into the COMPANY/DATA FIELDS screen I don't see a way to add fields to a project.  Is it there and I am just missing it?

Yes @Jeff Richter custom fields is in the plans, not yet available unfortunately :( 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #22

My thoughts after few minutes testing, have raised them internally, however thought of having them here as well so other Pipedrivers could comment as well. 

1. Project status should be prominently stay at the top, perhaps next to the project title. 
    2. The fields and files from deal, should be carried forward automatically, with option to not-including them. By default (at least for own use) most of the fields/files on the sale stage = 'deal' are required in the deployment stage = 'job'.
    4. It would be great to have a separate list of activities from the sales category.
    5. It would be good to have some templates ready! For example in our case we may 'residential' and 'commercial' templates and for each we could define set of activities for each, this way the system eliminates manual task creation each time for each project.
    6. At the projects list, should be a way to duplicate the job (project). Currently the only option is 'delete'.
    7. The label colour should actually just highlight the entire row colour, instead of allocating a column to this (let's not be generous on the list area, so we can save some space for other important data). I understand certain times 2 labels could be associated to a job, but there should be a checkbox to let user know whether multiple labels are needed or we stick to a single label per project

Thanks @Hossein Mohsenian all noted and indeed curious what others will say. For now you can upon project creation in the project add modal select also an existing project from which you can copy activities. This way if you've once set up a "template" you can easily in the future copy the activities from there :) 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #23

When I first convert a won deal into a project, it would be nice for the  ProjectTitle to be able to be prefilled with the Deal Name. Then I can go on and edit that at the time if I wish - or simply save and keep moving on.

In the Projects overview section. It would be handy to be able to remove some of the columns that aren't relevant to me. For example, contact person, organisation and owner aren't really things I need to see when looking at an overview of all my projects. I'd like the option to customise which columns I can see and which I can hide.

I plan to use the 'Labels' section to show me the current status of the job. I'd like to be able to edit that status (and all other fields) from within the main projects overview section. I don't want to need to go INTO the actual project to edit it. I want a quick and easy editing of labels so I can get a quick snapshot overview of this project.

Most of our projects are quick and simple jobs. So we might only touch on them for a very short period of time. Going right into the project job details is an extra layer of work. If we could do more editing of these projects from the birdseye view that would be great.

All my jobs are linked to invoices in Xero. This is all connected to Pipedrive. It would be great to not only be able to link that invoice to that job (invoice has lots of valuable job information) but also to be able to really quickly view that invoice from the top level section. Even if it's just as simple to begin with as implementing in the actual project the EXACT same invoice function that is already used in the deals section. Maybe it's possible to effectively copy that exact same code/widget functionality and literally just drop it in here. That's a great 80/20 to get it going.

These are the main immediate 80/20 things that would get things started for me with the type of projects I do.

@Matt Lyons appreciate the comments! We'll look over them with the team and prioritise against other tasks. Editing from the list view as already pretty high on the list :) Thanks!

• Matt Lyons
    Matt Lyons Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2022 #24

Great! I think there is enough functionality in here to transition over from my excel sheet and just run it all from here. I've got about 30 projects running right now so should be able to get them in and test it out.

Custom columns is a REALLY big one for me. Then I can do anything I could in excel.

Just customising those columns is massive.

I've not yet done the WordPress integration. But I will next year. I'll be taking orders directly from my website. I want these orders to push into Pipedrive as a deal. I then want to push that deal into Projects. Or maybe it actually pushes directly INTO a project and skips the deal stage.

Could some form of this work where my woocommerce order details will be readable in some form inside here?

• Hossein Mohsenian_8278
    edited May 2022 #25

@Mike van der Valk Indeed, curious about it! That 'template' did work, cool. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #26

Hi @Matt Lyons 

Perhaps you can consider using the Pipedrive web form and other lead generating tools to create deals in Pipedrive: https://support.pipedrive.com/en/article/web-forms

In case you still go with WordPress/Woocommerce then you can use Zapier to automate deal creating as well.

Workflow automation inside Pipedrive (read more here) and Zapier integration for projects is something in the plan for next year :) 

• Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #27

Agree with @Hossein Mohsenian 100% The fields and files from deal, should be carried forward automatically. My PMs need the information input by the account managers (sales team). Shouldn't have to click into the deal every 5 seconds to check deal details.

• Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #28

Thats Amazing! 

I guess this one is solved by copying activities from other projects

• Jeff Richter
    edited May 2022 #29

this is what I was referring to.  This is the task owner right?

• Gonçalo
    First Comment
    edited May 2022 #30
    Gonçalo said:

Thanks

Mike,

We need a way to start a project from a deal after it has been marked won, in those cases where the account managers forgot to set up projects from the WON button as indicated.

If we reopen and then mark as won again everyone gets flooded with loads of automatic messages and automation triggers.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #31
    Gonçalo said:

Thanks

@Gonçalo you can always just go to the projects area from the main navigation on the left, then add a project from the list view and link the already won deal there. 

Otherwise, inside the won deal on the left where you have panels with person, organization information there is also a block for projects where you can still add projects to the already won deal :)