Data Import - Primary Key

Julien Montaigne
Julien Montaigne Member Posts: 4
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Hello everyone, I have just acquired a pipedrive account. I have just finished preparing my People, and Organization data.

How should I proceed for the import? First the people or the organizations? Or the other way around?

Both data sets have a common key, which is an organization code that I defined myself. If a person has this organization code, will the organization name field of his record be filled automatically?

Or do I have to integrate in my people file, the name and the organization code for each contact ?

Thanks for your help!

Julien

Comments

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited February 2022 #2

Pipedrive has native primary keys for each object (Person - ID, Organization - ID).

As long as your import file contains a mapping between the Person ID and the Org ID, Pipedrive will link existing records correctly.

For new records that don't exist in the system already, you have to provide a CSV file with the Person name and the Org name as columns, and Pipedrive will automatically link them. It's a little difficult to explain without seeing it in action.

• Julien Montaigne
    edited November 2021 #3

Pipedrive has native primary keys for each object (Person - ID, Organization - ID).

As long as your import file contains a mapping between the Person ID and the Org ID, Pipedrive will link existing records correctly.

For new records that don't exist in the system already, you have to provide a CSV file with the Person name and the Org name as columns, and Pipedrive will automatically link them. It's a little difficult to explain without seeing it in action.

Dear Amit,

Thanks for your help. In my case, Pipedrive is empty of data. 

What i understood is that my people file has to embed the name of the organisation, in addition to the common data such as people name, people email, people phone number, etc...

Right ? 

edited November 2021 #4

Correct.

Something as simple as a file with the following columns:

Person Name, Person Email, Person Phone, Org Name, Org Address, Org Website.

• Julien Montaigne
    edited November 2021 #5

Dear Amit,

Can I do the import in two times?

The first part will be for the import of the organizations, with the following data: Org name, Org address, Org website, Org Code (mine id), Org Linkedin, Org phone number, etc...

And in the second part, the import of people with the following data: People name, people email, people phone number, Org name, org code (mine id).

(In this case i need to add an Org Code field in the People section)

What is your opinion on the process I just described?

Thank you very much for your help.

edited November 2021 #6

If you do it in 2 steps, you will have to use Pipedrive's System Org ID to link the two.

You can book a call if you'd like help: https://calendly.com/amitsarda/discovery