Time tracking tools research 🤓⏱

Mike van der Valk
Mike van der Valk Posts: 4,389 PIPEDRIVE PRODUCT MANAGER
2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Likes First Answer
edited July 22 in Project Management #1

Do you have a need to track the specific time you spend working on certain Deals, tasks and projects?

I'm doing a little research to understand the need for a potential integration with time tracking tools like Toggle Track, Harvest, etc..

1. Do you have a need for time tracking in Pipedrive?
  2. Why?
  3. Would you use it for after-sales project delivery or also for Sales deals and perhaps other stages in your workflow?

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to becoming a little wiser from you all 😇🙏🏻

Comments

• Amit Sarda - Pipedrive Consultant - AmitSarda.xyz
    edited November 2021 #2

I would like to understand how much time it takes a salesperson to complete a typical activity against a deal. That will help with capacity and workload planning. I know that Pipedrive keeps a track of how much time a deal spends in one specific stage but this information is not available to us to further analyse it. I would like to know how much time a deal spends time in each stage of the pipeline too.

• Ambrosio Arizu
    Ambrosio Arizu Posts: 6
    edited February 25 #3

I would like to understand investment done. We do have our timekeeper tool track the time partners, managers and consultants dedicate to a prospect or deal. Having it integrated with PPD would be time saving. 

Thanks for asking. 

Ambrosio

• Jakob Thusgaard
    Jakob Thusgaard Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited November 2021 #4

As a consultant, I keep track of time spent on a project using Toggl. With Zapier I'll check if the Pipedrive customer name equals the client in Toggle and push the latest status to the account or maybe the deal for the project. 

Direct integration could be great to make things easier, but I'm not sure about the volume of clients interested in such an integration.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited November 2021 #5

I would like to understand investment done. We do have our timekeeper tool track the time partners, managers and consultants dedicate to a prospect or deal. Having it integrated with PPD would be time saving. 

Thanks for asking. 

Ambrosio

@Ambrosio Arizu what tool do you use now and why that one over others?

• Michelle Bridges
    Michelle Bridges Posts: 2
    edited November 2021 #6

As a services business employing 1099 contractors, it is invaluable to know where time is being spent on each project/deal.  This allows for evaluation of where bottlenecks in the process could be as well as the value of services being provided for future pricing structure/adjustments.  

• Jazmin Poyser
    Jazmin Poyser Posts: 28
    edited November 2021 #7

Yes 100%. Part of our team use Harvest to track time. But if this was integrated in Pipedrive, up-take of time tracking across the whole team would be so much better.  Tracking time on Deals is integral to accurate effort metrics for us. We would 100% use it for after-sales project delivery (hanging out for the project management feature to be released!)

• Kristine Jones
    Kristine Jones Posts: 1
    edited November 2021 #8

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best Regards,

Queen Kristine King Jones

• Alexander Abell
    Alexander Abell Posts: 13
    edited November 2021 #9

It would be amazing for figuring out the unit economics. We are a services company and I'm guessing some customers are simply not profitable because of the amount of hand-holding they require. But that's a guess. Data to confirm this would be immensely helpful.

• Martin Pecha_2338
    Martin Pecha_2338 Posts: 192
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited November 2021 #10

For SaaS companies, I guess this is not too relevant. We use toggl, however, we track it across all teams and it is more important for dev.

From the point of sales, it is not so important, how much salesperson is spending time on a deal (as sales is primarily a numbers game, so better track outcome not time). More important is to understand the life cycle better and in which stages we are losing time and can be more efficient.

• Milena_57965
    Milena_57965 Posts: 1
    edited November 2021 #11

Yes that is a great idea! We would need it in order to compare the performance of KAMs and on which stage do we spend most of the time. 

THanks!

• Sylvain_598
    Sylvain_598 Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 21 #12
    1. Yes ! we need to track time spent on projects
    2. Our business is to sell implementation time to our customers. Time management allows us 2 things:
      1- progress invoicing
      2- get feedback on time spent / time sold (remaining time on project)
    3. Track time on projets

currently we use EverHour which we synchronize with Asana (for the management of our projects)

• Jazmin Poyser
    Jazmin Poyser Posts: 28
    edited July 22 #13

Do you have a need for time tracking in Pipedrive?

Yes! Very much so, and somewhat urgently - has been on our wishlist for some time.

Why?

We need to understand how long tasks in our process take, true time analytics that informs process bottlenecks and informs cost. The current Insights isn't enough for us. What we really need is time data of how long tasks take, not just how long they Deals/Projects sit in certain stages.

Would you use it for after-sales project delivery or also for Sales deals and perhaps other stages in your workflow?

Yes absolutely - Deals, Projects and even Leads (but Leads Inbox is lower priority).

Clockify is the tool we would look to integrate/use. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 21 #14

Yes! Very much so, and somewhat urgently - has been on our wishlist for some time.

Why?

We need to understand how long tasks in our process take, true time analytics that informs process bottlenecks and informs cost. The current Insights isn't enough for us. What we really need is time data of how long tasks take, not just how long they Deals/Projects sit in certain stages.

Would you use it for after-sales project delivery or also for Sales deals and perhaps other stages in your workflow?

Yes absolutely - Deals, Projects and even Leads (but Leads Inbox is lower priority).

Thanks @Jazmin Poyser and @Sylvain we're slowly planning work for end of this year and next year and are considering time tracking!

• Sylvain_598
    edited July 21 #15

Why?

Good news @Mike van der Valk !!

Can you read about this too ?

https://community.pipedrive.com/post/custom-fields-62d81b8095e6cc7dad265af8

Thanks a lot

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 22 #16

Why?

@Sylvain just took a look, it's something outside of my area but I've contacted the Product manager in charge of this area. I know it's been a popular request for a while but there might be various reasons why it hasn't happened yet :( hopefully we can do it!

• Sylvain_598
    edited July 22 #17

Why?

Thanks @Mike van der Valk 

1. Do you have a need for time tracking in Pipedrive?
    2. Yes. would be amazing.
    3. Why?
    4. I use the tracked time to bill my clients or do a calculation if a project was in profit and do next time better calculations
    5. Would you use it for after-sales project delivery or also for Sales deals and perhaps other stages in your workflow?
    6. Both like described above.