actually hide field that are set to be hidden

Robo_3058
Robo_3058 Posts: 12

I just find out that when you set 'No' in the 'Show in detail view' for  a custom field it is hidden ONLY when it is empty and the information is collaped, which is I think the most misleading name for it I have seen.

Since Pipedrive doesn't offer not editable fields I'm surprised why it is not possible to actually hide a custom field and also if I want to store some additional information about the company or deals that is only needed for APIs, the view of every user will be filled up with unneccessary information, which is very counterproductive in my optinion.

Also if you just keep the functionality of that field, please rename it so the name represents of what it acually does.

0 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Admin Posts: 3,155 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    edited February 24 #2

Hi @Robo ! I'd like to pass along this suggestion, can you give a little more info? In your use case, is the API-specific fields the only situation where you'd prefer the fields to remain hidden even if they're filled in? 

Additionally, what would you say would be a clearer naming of that option, please? Thank you.

• Inês Batata
    edited April 2020 #3

Hi @Robo ! I'd like to pass along this suggestion, can you give a little more info? In your use case, is the API-specific fields the only situation where you'd prefer the fields to remain hidden even if they're filled in? 

Additionally, what would you say would be a clearer naming of that option, please? Thank you.

I can also see that your company account still has an older version of this feature. We've been rolling out a new version with an improved UI - but keep in mind that the behaviour of the custom fields has not been changed.

See here what the new version looks like. Would you like me to activate it? It will show up like this for all users that have access to creating customized fields.

• Robo_3058
    edited February 24 #4

Hi @Inês Batata 

Not only API related. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to have hidden field, so we can store information that cannot be edited by users. This is mainly because it is relatively easy to change something by accident and then not notice, since all the filed can be eddited.

And regarding API fields, what I mean is something that we use for API integration or Automation. We have integrating pipedrive with our internal systems and a simple example of what we need is to store our internal system's customer number in pipedrive and we need to make sure that users cannot change it by accident, since then everything would break. In this case it would be nice to have a completely hidden field, that could be only accessible by API, Pipedrive Automation or by making it visible again. 

Also, now we have already added some custom fields and they are showsn to the users, even though users don't get any benefit from them, contrary, they have to scroll more to get to the important information, which is another reason for completely hidden fields.

Regarding the name, I was thinking adding 'only show in details view when not empty' but maybe an explanation could be added with '' to not have a very long name. I looked at the  screen capture you have sent and it is more clear what the option does, but I would still prefer it saying what happens if I would untic it, since it is not clear and there is no place where it is explained. You could call it 'Not hide field when filled in in Details view'.

• Robo_3058
    edited April 2020 #5

Hi @Inês Batata 

You can update our UI. Thanks. 

• Inês Batata
    edited April 2020 #6
    Robo said:

Hi @Inês Batata 

Not only API related. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to have hidden field, so we can store information that cannot be edited by users. This is mainly because it is relatively easy to change something by accident and then not notice, since all the filed can be eddited.

And regarding API fields, what I mean is something that we use for API integration or Automation. We have integrating pipedrive with our internal systems and a simple example of what we need is to store our internal system's customer number in pipedrive and we need to make sure that users cannot change it by accident, since then everything would break. In this case it would be nice to have a completely hidden field, that could be only accessible by API, Pipedrive Automation or by making it visible again. 

Also, now we have already added some custom fields and they are showsn to the users, even though users don't get any benefit from them, contrary, they have to scroll more to get to the important information, which is another reason for completely hidden fields.

Regarding the name, I was thinking adding 'only show in details view when not empty' but maybe an explanation could be added with '' to not have a very long name. I looked at the  screen capture you have sent and it is more clear what the option does, but I would still prefer it saying what happens if I would untic it, since it is not clear and there is no place where it is explained. You could call it 'Not hide field when filled in in Details view'.

Really appreciate you taking the time to give us the practical details of your suggestion @Robo  - we've forwarded them to the respective team for consideration.

I've also activated the new UI for Custom Fields in your company account, so please clear the cache and cookies in your browser and refresh if it doesn't show up immediately. Keep in mind they are now called "Data Fields" in the Settings menu.

There's a tool tip next to each option that clarifies how each one works.

• Chris Rozon
    Chris Rozon Posts: 24
    edited February 24 #7

Hi -   I've got a similar issue.  We have a lot of fields attached to organizations that have background info that the average user doesn't need to see (i.e.  SIC Code or  NAICS Code and relevant descriptions, etc).

We keep that data around for reports, searches, etc., but it clutter up the screen of the user.  We can't seem to hide those fields on the Details sidebar since there's data in them. Any suggestion?

• Inês Batata
    edited June 2020 #8

Hi -   I've got a similar issue.  We have a lot of fields attached to organizations that have background info that the average user doesn't need to see (i.e.  SIC Code or  NAICS Code and relevant descriptions, etc).

We keep that data around for reports, searches, etc., but it clutter up the screen of the user.  We can't seem to hide those fields on the Details sidebar since there's data in them. Any suggestion?

Hi @Chris Rozon !

Apologies for not responding earlier, I seem to not have gotten a notification about your reply here.

Fields that have data in them will always show up in the sidebar. What you can do is set them to remain hidden when they are blank, which you can do by unticking the box for "always show in detail view".

You can also mark fields as Important, so that they are highlighted if left blank within a deal, in order to prompt users to fill them in.

Field visibility in the sidebar + Marking fields as Important

In any case, I can see how this may not be compatible with some users' preferences, so I've made sure to relay it internally for consideration. Thank you for your patience!

• Linda Carrington
    Linda Carrington Posts: 1
    edited December 2020 #9

I've spent the last week or so working out why my custom fields can't be hidden and liaising with the support team. It doesn't seem right that you uncheck "Always visible in organization detail view" only to see the field all the time anyway.  

This is a feature which is definitely needed. 

My goal was to have my custom fields organised in an order which suits our sales process, with only selected fields visible by default for general customer support purposes. Sadly it looks like I can't do this. I've been using Pipedrive since 2016, and have never had any problems, so it's a bit disappointing.

• Miles_13385
    Miles_13385 Posts: 2
    edited January 2021 #10

I'd like to add to this request. There are lots of fields that we want to keep hidden and uneditable to a regular user. 

• Darius Lengvinas
    Darius Lengvinas Posts: 3
    edited January 2021 #11

We just run in to the same issue. We have a lot of fields that we would like to keep hidden even if they are filled. 

• Corey Maple
    Corey Maple Posts: 1
    edited January 2021 #12

Ditto.  I vote for adding that improvement as well!  

Data fields should be collapsible (in order to create a manageable list of data important to the sales team) whether they contain data or not. 

• Bobby Welch
    Bobby Welch Posts: 10
    edited January 2021 #13

I would LOVE to see the ability to hide fields, including system fields (like job title, instagram etc) because we all don't have the same needs.

• Cevat Kusku_16085
    Cevat Kusku_16085 Posts: 13
    edited February 24 #14

This is an extremely important feature in terms of CRM field management. As an admin, I should be able to decide who sees which fields regardless if the field is empty or not. @Inês Batata any updates on this since you passed it to the team?

• Inês Batata
    edited December 2020 #15

This is an extremely important feature in terms of CRM field management. As an admin, I should be able to decide who sees which fields regardless if the field is empty or not. @Inês Batata any updates on this since you passed it to the team?

We appreciate your interest @Cevat Kusku  and I absolutely understand what you mean. No news for the time being but let's see what the future holds.

Speaking of which, here’s how to stay on top of what’s coming down the line:

• 🔮 Follow What's Planned to know what we're working on currently and what’s to come.
    • 🌟 Follow What’s New and don’t miss any new releases.
    • 🧪 Join our Research and Beta Testing channel for the chance to try out early versions and give us your opinion about new and improved features before they go live.
  • FFAB Team
    FFAB Team Posts: 1
    edited February 25 #16

Please add this feature already. It does not seem like it should be super hard to add, and obviously, a ton of us need this pronto.

I need this because when I start adding users to my Pipedrive CRM, they really do not need access to all data, only the data necessary for them to complete their tasks/job. There are many fields/data that I would like to keep hidden from users. 

Please add this feature already!!! Thank you.

• Inês Batata
    edited January 2021 #17
    FFAB Team said:

Please add this feature already. It does not seem like it should be super hard to add, and obviously, a ton of us need this pronto.

I need this because when I start adding users to my Pipedrive CRM, they really do not need access to all data, only the data necessary for them to complete their tasks/job. There are many fields/data that I would like to keep hidden from users. 

Please add this feature already!!! Thank you.

Hi @FFAB Team , thank you for your feedback! 

At the moment we have no news about this, as priorities and resource allocations for development have to be distributed and unfortunately not everything can be built or at least built in the near future. That being said, we appreciate your input and use it to give our teams thinking points to be considered in the future. Thanks for sharing and your patience! Here’s how to stay on top of what’s coming down the line:

🔮 Follow What's Planned to know what we're working on currently and what’s to come.

🌟 Follow What’s New and don’t miss any new releases.

🧪 Join our Research and Beta Testing channel for the chance to try out early versions and give us your opinion about new and improved features before they go live.

🔎 Learn all about any of Pipedrive’s features from our Knowledge Base tutorials in your preferred language and our Academy video courses. Simply search for your topic.

• Brian Petersen
    Brian Petersen Posts: 2
    edited February 25 #18

+1 from us.
    Super important and actually a bit weird that this isn't a made yet. Should be super easy to implement.
    And I assume this is a request from more significant customers who use the API. Not the best customers to get annoyed and see churning at some point.

• Inês Batata
    edited February 2021 #19

+1 from us.
    Super important and actually a bit weird that this isn't a made yet. Should be super easy to implement.
    And I assume this is a request from more significant customers who use the API. Not the best customers to get annoyed and see churning at some point.

Thank you for your feedback @Brian Petersen , I've made sure it reaches our team internally.

In the meantime, this is where we make all product update announcements, make sure to follow them:

• Follow What's Planned to know what we're currently working on and what’s to come.
    • Follow What’s New and don’t miss any new release announcements.
    • Join our Research and Beta Testing channel for the chance to try out early versions and give us your opinion about new and improved features before they go live.
  • Phil Cowie
    Phil Cowie Posts: 5
    edited June 2021 #20

+1 from us too - Pipedrive gets so cluttered with stuff that's only needed for APIs and integrations. This would be so helpful.

• James Oakden
    James Oakden Posts: 2
    edited August 2021 #21

+1 for this asap please

• Marius Müller
    Marius Müller Posts: 2
    edited November 2021 #22

+1 from us as well...

• Brad Cohen
    Brad Cohen Posts: 22
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited November 2021 #23

+1 - We need this ASAP. So much so I would leave at this point if we do not have a clear road map. Easier to move my data at this point than wait. 

• Darius Lengvinas
    Darius Lengvinas Posts: 3
    edited February 3 #24

We need this too. It would also be great to have a possibility to group fields to different sections, so we could have a better overview on the deal. 

• Tim Schmidt
    Tim Schmidt Posts: 9
    edited February 3 #25

The detail views are overwhelmed with information that is unnecessary for most users. We urgently need such a function. "Hide" and "Block editing by user

• Josh Buesking
    Josh Buesking Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited January 18 #26

I agree. Hard to use to many custom fields if there is no real way to hide them Collapse is "ok" but not to user friendly.

An option to hide fields then have a special toggle to "Show Hidden" fields would be great.

Would also like to be able to select what's shown on the main deal page. I don't use "call" or "files" so they are just cluttering up the screen.