User type conversation

George Nicholas
George Nicholas Member Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

Hey Everyone, I just got added to the projects beta, and am trying to move the projects I'm personally managing into pipedrive.  One thing I wanted to bring up that's a bit complicated is users and user types for projects.  I feel there needs to be more than just one type of user for projects which would be on different levels of payment.  Here's my example scenario:

I do sales and am a project manager.  I have a deal I convert to a project.  I now need to create tasks to be completed on this project, however I'm not the only one whos going to be working on it.  I want to assign tasks to other people in my office, people who don't manage projects and don't do sales, we'll call them "techs".  Ideally these techs would also have accounts on pipedrive, but they only need to see what they've been assigned, and don't need to be able to "do" anything inparticular in pipedrive. The issue here is that to add a tech to my pipedrive account would cost just as much as adding a project manager?  Those techs shouldn't be as expensive as project managers though because they aren't using the platform for anything, they just view tasks they've been assigned.

A second scenario is this:

I'm a project manager but I never touch sales.  The sales guys close deals, and hand it off to me.  Am I a special type of paid user who only has access to project management?

What I'm trying to get at is that I can see there being three types of users in pipedrive.  First, sales and marketing.  Second, project managers.  Third, people who need to be able to view tasks they've been assigned by project managers (techs).  Project managers don't necessarily need access to sales and marketing, and vice versa.

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited May 2022 #2

Hi @George Nicholas 

Great suggestion!
    We're actively working on the solution where you can have "projects only" users. These users will only see the project area and of course some basic deal info they need to do their work, but won't have access to the rest of Pipedrive and therefore only pay for the projects add-on. This is planned.

When it comes to your second suggestion of a user that can somehow only see tasks that are assigned to him/her but not the whole project module this is something we've heard before but has not been one of the main requests so far. I understand the use case and it's something we'll closely monitor when it comes to requests from others but at the moment this is not planned for the first version but rather in the next ones.

I hope this helps and thank you for sharing your feedback, keep it coming!

• Chris McKechie
    Chris McKechie Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2022 #3

Hi George. I have just been added and we have a very similar issue to you. Our techs and staff need to be allocated tasks once we are in a project, but they do not manage a project or create the tasks. Nor do they need any access to teh Sales management.

However any project communications by any team member we need to make sure gets recorded within teh project and they have access to eth contacts details and update a task status or a note for teh project manager.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #4

Hi George. I have just been added and we have a very similar issue to you. Our techs and staff need to be allocated tasks once we are in a project, but they do not manage a project or create the tasks. Nor do they need any access to teh Sales management.

However any project communications by any team member we need to make sure gets recorded within teh project and they have access to eth contacts details and update a task status or a note for teh project manager.

Hi @Chris McKechie 

A solution for this is in progress. It will still be a while unfortunately as this is something new for Pipedrive where users won't have access to the "core/original product". I can't give you a due date at the moment but it will happen before we go fully live and out of beta so there will be enough time to test it.

Our goal is to make sure that you and others can add users to the projects area in Pipedrive with all the right access to keep the team aligned and at the same time make sure you don't pay for unnecessary features they don't use/need.

Stay tuned!

• Guillaume_1141
    Guillaume_1141 Member Posts: 45
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited May 2022 #5

Agree 1000%.  The subscription shall be totally different if the project feature is used for after sales actions, for techs activities or as a project manager tool. That is NOT the same thing. Project management is a whole job. As a matter of fact, to me, Project is not the right term for a follow up sales tool. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #6