Resources in Projects

Options
John Lyder
John Lyder Member Posts: 11
5 Likes First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

How do you add internal (colleagues) and external resources to a project? It really would make sense to associate internal and external resources to a project and also be able to attache a Role table to these resources.

PS: I tried to go through the postings and see if this topic had been covered earlier, but I could not find it. Sorry if I did not see earlier postings regarding this topic.

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited May 2022 #2
    Options

Hi @John Lyder 

Thanks for writing!

We have plans to allow adding multiple users to a project and more or less create a projects team with indeed roles for your users. Similar for multiple persons and orgs if needed.

Can you tell me a little more about what your needs would be here. Is it just seeing who's on the project and in what role is is there more to it?

• John Lyder
    John Lyder Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited May 2022 #3
    Options

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. I will try to elaborate on my thoughts.

Firsts some assumptions:

• First of all, I do not consider that Pipedrive will replace a professional Project Management Tool
    • Most likely 80% of the users needs a simple, but powerful project management tool, the rest can use a professional tool
    • Projects in a CRM does not only serve as a project management tool, but also as a Best Practice Tool
    • Being able to go back and review projects/deliveries and have a comprehensive overview of who participated and did what - can be crucial in future projects

What I am looking for are:

• The possibility to have all information regarding a project inside Pipedrive
    • No use of 3rd apps or services, which might be discontinued in the future
    • In current Deals overview, you can see persons linked to the deal under Participants
    • Same linking could be done for Project
    • When linking a person to a Project, you should be asked to associate a Role to this person. This Role should be visible next to the person’s name in the Participant section
    • I do not see any need for implementing Rights and/or Login functionality for external persons (Linked as Participants)
    • There is generally speaking a huge need in Pipedrive to promote better collaboration options in the CRM system
    • As of today, you cannot associate several colleagues to e.g. a meeting, task, call etc. This needs to be fixed!
    • Internal resources (read colleagues), needs to be associated to a project. If this is done in the Participant section with a clear devision between Internal Participants (colleagues) and External Participants (clients, partner etc.) - this is for you to decide. Just keep it simple.

Finally, you could consider to include Add Product as in the Deal section, but instead of adding product - you add Cost elements like e.g. (Hours, Consultancy Fees, Travel Expenses etc.). These cost elements could be defined in a separate «Price List» like the one which is for Products in a Deal. I am not talking about a complex cost structure functionality here. Just so we can make a budget on different tasks in the Project and have a general overview of how we perform compared to the budget.

I hope this was somewhat useful for you, Mike :-)

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #4
    Options

Dear Mike,

Firsts some assumptions:

• First of all, I do not consider that Pipedrive will replace a professional Project Management Tool
    • Most likely 80% of the users needs a simple, but powerful project management tool, the rest can use a professional tool
    • Projects in a CRM does not only serve as a project management tool, but also as a Best Practice Tool
    • Being able to go back and review projects/deliveries and have a comprehensive overview of who participated and did what - can be crucial in future projects

• In current Deals overview, you can see persons linked to the deal under Participants
    • When linking a person to a Project, you should be asked to associate a Role to this person. This Role should be visible next to the person’s name in the Participant section
    • I do not see any need for implementing Rights and/or Login functionality for external persons (Linked as Participants)
    • There is generally speaking a huge need in Pipedrive to promote better collaboration options in the CRM system
    • As of today, you cannot associate several colleagues to e.g. a meeting, task, call etc. This needs to be fixed!
    • Internal resources (read colleagues), needs to be associated to a project. If this is done in the Participant section with a clear devision between Internal Participants (colleagues) and External Participants (clients, partner etc.) - this is for you to decide. Just keep it simple.

Finally, you could consider to include Add Product as in the Deal section, but instead of adding product - you add Cost elements like e.g. (Hours, Consultancy Fees, Travel Expenses etc.). These cost elements could be defined in a separate «Price List» like the one which is for Products in a Deal. I am not talking about a complex cost structure functionality here. Just so we can make a budget on different tasks in the Project and have a general overview of how we perform compared to the budget.

Hi John,

That's super useful, thank you!
    I've just shared your comments with my team and we'll prioritise our work in the team. One thing we also have found to be very important and we'll be working on is indeed the having a team of internal people assigned to a project.

Thanks for sharing!

• Martin Sandén
    Martin Sandén Member Posts: 25
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #5
    Options

Hi @John Lyder 

Thanks for writing!

We have plans to allow adding multiple users to a project and more or less create a projects team with indeed roles for your users. Similar for multiple persons and orgs if needed.

Can you tell me a little more about what your needs would be here. Is it just seeing who's on the project and in what role is is there more to it?

Hi @Mike van der Valk  I agree with @John Lyder .

And a project ID to generate a mail with relevant details in each stage for information about the projects progress, and trackability.

Then I think this could be a tool for us.

//Martin

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #6
    Options

Hi @John Lyder 

Thanks for writing!

Hi @Martin Sandén 

Sorry for the slow response as I was off for a few days and maybe that's why I'm not fully following :D 

Could you clarify a little how you would like to see it work?

• Martin Sandén
    Martin Sandén Member Posts: 25
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #7
    Options

Hi @John Lyder 

Thanks for writing!

Hi @Mike van der Valk 

I think i mentioned this at our zoom meeting 🤔

Be able to use a (or the) project ID in e mails and documents to make it easier for all involved to track the unique project. We use it in the deal pipeline: When a deal is created the workflow automation name it like "12345" - "and the deal name". Then we use it in documents "Quote - 12345" and in mails where it is needed for tracking in conversations.

I also think that all the functionality in Deals should be available in Projects based on that that a Project (for us at least) can be separate, a customer need help with something from a closed deal later on, that ends up with a quote, e mails, documents, ... I think this should be handled within the project.

Customers, distributors and subcontractors can also have different roles in different projects that would possible to add/visualize, we miss this in deals as well.

Also be able to add a folder in "files" not only files.

🤞🤓

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2022 #8
    Options

Hi @John Lyder 

Thanks for writing!

Hi @Martin Sandén 

We're currently working on the workflow automations and with this you should be able to pull the ID field as well so that should hopefully solve it.

Emailing for projects is also in progress right now. I agree that all that works in deals should work on projects too. It will take some time for us to get there so we're prioritising all the pieces constantly also based on customer feedback of course.

The multiple people and roles is something we also have on our list but we're not there yet. Files and folders seem interesting :) will share it with our team internally that owns files as well! Thanks for clarifying!

• George Nicholas
    George Nicholas Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #9
    Options

Dear Mike,

Firsts some assumptions:

Part of John's suggestions stood out to me.  We're a professional services company, we don't sell "products".  The products I have setup are titles and billable rates.  I personally haven't formulated in my mind how this might work better, but ingeneral alot of small/mid size companies, likely Pipedrive's target market, are professional services companies.  We price things differently than companies that sell physical products.  Even being able to group products would be a huge help, or add products that aren't listed.  I've got a product called "other", which I use to detail non standard things.  Almost all projects for a professional services company has lots of "other" items because each project is unique.

• George Nicholas
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #10
    Options

Dear Mike,

Firsts some assumptions:

Part of John's suggestions stood out to me.  We're a professional services company, we don't sell "products".  The products I have setup are titles and billable rates.  I personally haven't formulated in my mind how this might work better, but ingeneral alot of small/mid size companies, likely Pipedrive's target market, are professional services companies.  We price things differently than companies that sell physical products.  Even being able to group products would be a huge help, or add products that aren't listed.  I've got a product called "other", which I use to detail non standard things.  Almost all projects for a professional services company has lots of "other" items because each project is unique.

• George Nicholas
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #11
    Options

Dear Mike,

Firsts some assumptions:

• George Nicholas
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #12
    Options

Dear Mike,

Firsts some assumptions: