Trigger automation by filter

Jake Nicholson
Jake Nicholson Member Posts: 9
5 Up Votes First Comment
edited July 2022 in Ideas and Product Feedback #1

The Zapier integration has the ability to trigger when a record matches a Pipedrive filter. It would be great to see this functionality in Pipedrive automations as well.

2 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited April 2022 #2

@Jake Nicholson this is already possible 🚀🚀

Check out this GIF how it works

• Jake Nicholson
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2022 #3

Got it! Sorry, don't know how I missed that. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #4

Got it! Sorry, don't know how I missed that. 

no worries, your goal is reached right ;) 

Next time if you'd like I'll just say our team quickly implemented your request 🥳

• Julian L. A.
    Julian L. A. Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2022 #5

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Unfortunately this does not work. It only works when the deal is updated, however, Pipedrive does not seem to take a deal matching a filter as an update. So when i use a filter based on a specific organization etc for my deal filtering (made a filter just for this) it does not activate as it is the organization that is updated and not the deal. So what is needed is a automation that scans for deals matching the filter and runs it accordingly.

Perhaps i am mistaken, but this is my experience on the matter.

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

• Mike van der Valk
    edited September 2020 #6

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Unfortunately this does not work. It only works when the deal is updated, however, Pipedrive does not seem to take a deal matching a filter as an update. So when i use a filter based on a specific organization etc for my deal filtering (made a filter just for this) it does not activate as it is the organization that is updated and not the deal. So what is needed is a automation that scans for deals matching the filter and runs it accordingly.

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

@Julian Lolk Annesen can you help me understand the automation you're trying to set up and what you want to achieve with this? Then I can better advice our team how we could potentially solve it in the future.

• Julian L. A.
    edited September 2020 #7

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

Hello Mike

Yes, i have tried several things. For instance, i have set filter on activities when they are overdue so that it will automatically do a new automation. The automation runs smooth when i am the one updating the date on the activity, it does not trigger when the date is passed "naturally". So if i update the activity the "trigger" activates as it reacts to a deal being updated. However, time passing and organization or people in pipedrive being updated does not trigger the automation, as the trigger is still based on a pipedrive user Actively updating the deal.

In other words. I can create a automation which only works when a deal is "created" or "updated" that belongs to a certain filter. But i cannot create an automation that automatically runs on all deals that fits a certain filter.

Zapier says they have an automation that does this, but i can't make it work as it appears to be the same "passive" element that blocks automations from running

I hope this makes sense to you and perhaps you can help me solve my problem.

Kind regards
    Julian

• Mike van der Valk
    edited September 2020 #8

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

Thanks for clarifying @Julian Lolk Annesen 

In Zapier you could use this trigger: 

Our team is also planning to work on time based triggers in the future. Once this work is done you will be able to trigger based on deals starting to rot or activities becoming overdue. This unfortunately currently doesn't work yet.

• Julian L. A.
    edited September 2020 #9

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

Hello Mike

Yes, as i mentioned in my previous answer "Zapier says they have an automation that does this, but i can't make it work as it appears to be the same "passive" element that blocks automations from running"

I was referring to that automation. I can make it work when i manually run that trigger, but not automatically, which kind of defeats the purpose of an automation.

Perhaps you have more knowledge of it? It does not activate when a new deal is entering a matched filter so perhaps it is something else that triggers it. Perhaps it only runs once a day?

Hope you can answer my questions.

BR/
    Julian

• Mike van der Valk
    edited September 2020 #10

Hi Mike Van der Valk

Kind regards
    Julian
    COO
    COBAGS

Hi @Julian Lolk Annesen 

It should work. If you can't figure it out, please reach out to Zapier support or our support and we'll try to help you solve it.

I think one thing that is important to explain also, is that matching filters by Zapier are only triggered once the deal “enters” the filter for the first. So if it matched the conditions once and then doesn't anymore but later it matches again it won’t be triggered again. 
    That would be the most common scenario for matching filter type triggers not being triggered.

Anyways, if you can't figure it out, try to get Zapier or Pipedrive support involved ;) 

• Jake Nicholson
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2022 #11

It would be great if a contact matching a filter were the trigger for a Pipedrive automation (like in Zapier), not a condition for a "Person updated" trigger. The difference here is that with the current setup, the automation runs every time the person is updated. If "person matches filter" were the trigger, the automation would run only once when that person matched the filter.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited November 2020 #12

It would be great if a contact matching a filter were the trigger for a Pipedrive automation (like in Zapier), not a condition for a "Person updated" trigger. The difference here is that with the current setup, the automation runs every time the person is updated. If "person matches filter" were the trigger, the automation would run only once when that person matched the filter.

Good input @Jake Nicholson I'll hunt down our PM for automations and pass on this info!

• Account Manager_25927
    Account Manager_25927 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2022 #13

Hi, are there any updates on this?

The filter automation still isn't working? Or at least I can't get it to work.

Basically, the trigger should be whenever the deal matches a given filter, but it doesn't. It would be very helpful!

Thanks!

• Mike van der Valk
    edited January 2021 #14

Hi, are there any updates on this?

The filter automation still isn't working? Or at least I can't get it to work.

Basically, the trigger should be whenever the deal matches a given filter, but it doesn't. It would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Hi @Simeon Eichel 

Currently it only works if there was also an update on the deal that makes it hit that filter unfortunately. I know our team is working in the area though but seems a bit more complex then originally thought unfortunately..

• Lucas Santos Barbosa
    Lucas Santos Barbosa Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2021 #15

Yes I'm looking forward to it

• Peter Sauer
    Peter Sauer Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2023 #16

Any update? Still doesnt work. May 2023

• Mathias Brask
    Mathias Brask Member Posts: 51
    Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

we are also waiting for this to be fixed..

• Jake Kushner (JLK)
    Jake Kushner (JLK) Member Posts: 44
    First Answer 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Likes

Sad to see there is still no way to trigger something in pipedrive based on when it starts matching a filter/falls into a filter. A common use case we're trying to solve is, when a deal is lost or lead is archived, mark all activities associated to it as "done" so they're not clogging up the activities todo list. For some reason pipedrive doesn't do this automatically. To make matters worse, you can set up an activities filter to see a list of open activities connected to lost deals or archived leads, but you can't actually trigger automation to clean them up! 🤬

• Peter Sauer
    Peter Sauer Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2023 #19

As frustrating as it is, we built a manual work-a-round, as many of you have also probably done. The automation is triggerred when a Person is updated. We created a custom Person field called "Automation Trigger". We modified the Filter to only include results from the past week. So every week, someone manually opens up the Filter, and does a bulk update to edit the "Automation Trigger" field (with whatever you want... the more creative the better). We have multiple Filters that we have to trigger in similar ways. Consequently, if a lead needs an activity created or call back immediate, they will potentially have to wait a week when the automation is triggered.

We have to do this exact same thing with the new Campaign feature. Since, there is no way to trigger an automation from a Campaign. But you can create a filter based upon Campaign results.

Good luck... have fun!

• jndbm
    jndbm Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi,

I have the same question as the OP but the video in the first reply two years is no longer visible. Can anyone help me on this please? Thanks