Do you visit your leads at their business?

Options
Roshan Jariwala
Roshan Jariwala Member Posts: 3
First Comment
edited July 2022 in Business Talk #1

I read in many books that previously salespeople visited their leads at their offices. After sending a couple of sequence emails, does anyone see anything wrong with visiting your lead at their office?

Comments

• Jeff Farrick
    Jeff Farrick Member Posts: 54
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 2022 #2
    Options

We typically do not, except for our larger partners, whom we're engaged with daily anyway.

Also, many (not all) offices these days view visiting solicitations as a breach of goodwill as it infringes on their right to ignore your emails as well as their health / safety. I will personally take such people's information when they show up physically and place them on an email blacklist after checking to make sure we aren't affiliated in any way, they are not listed in our CRM, and they are providing a service of no value to us.

You're more likely to put yourself in the "I'll never do business with this person" bucket if you just show up. Instead, warm them up with calls and emails and secure a meeting (Which they almost certainly will want to do over video, another signal that they really don't appreciate people just showing up at the office to solicit).

• Roshan Jariwala
    Roshan Jariwala Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited June 2022 #3
    Options

We typically do not, except for our larger partners, whom we're engaged with daily anyway.

Also, many (not all) offices these days view visiting solicitations as a breach of goodwill as it infringes on their right to ignore your emails as well as their health / safety. I will personally take such people's information when they show up physically and place them on an email blacklist after checking to make sure we aren't affiliated in any way, they are not listed in our CRM, and they are providing a service of no value to us.

You're more likely to put yourself in the "I'll never do business with this person" bucket if you just show up. Instead, warm them up with calls and emails and secure a meeting (Which they almost certainly will want to do over video, another signal that they really don't appreciate people just showing up at the office to solicit).

Thanks for your insight! Cold calls are welcome?

• Jeff Farrick
    Jeff Farrick Member Posts: 54
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 2022 #4
    Options

Only if they are the right person and you solve a problem they're currently experiencing. In other words, not typically, but that doesn't mean you don't try. It's definitely less invasive than walking into someone's office who probably doesn't have enough time.

Cold calling with the purpose of scheduling a meeting for someone else about a pertinent solution is a popular cold call goal. Just book the meeting and expect plenty of no-shows. 

When you're working with this mentality, it's just a numbers game. How many people can you get to meet, how many show up, and how many agree to a quote, or whatever the next step in your sales process is.

The alternative is quality prospecting. You spend your time upfront making sure the people you call are the right people by doing your research.