Ability to attach files from email to the Deal (or Person)

Options
Martin Boonzaayer
Martin Boonzaayer Member Posts: 49
First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

When we receive an email from a prospect with an attachment, I would love to be able to easily attach that attachment to the deal without having to download then upload. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,078 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited April 2022 #2
    Options

Hi @Martin Boonzaayer email attachments are also automatically added to the "files" section of your detail view. Or is this not what you're looking for?

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

@Mike van der Valk I never realized that files were auto-attached. I'm assuming this is when the email is sent to the pipedrive email address for the deal? I have checked some existing deals for which the contact person has sent emails with attachments - and those attachments are not attached to the deal, nor are they attached to the person record. If you click on "Files" in the deal, nothing shows up (when they are attached in an email), and in the Person record when you click "Files" it shows the attachments in the emails - but they are still not attached to the person record. I also tested with the API, and the number of files is still "0" until that file is downloaded and then uploaded to be attached.  So my suggestion is (1) make it easy to attach an email attachment to a deal and/or person,  (2) Allow the email attachments to show up in deals record too - instead of only on the person record. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #4
    Options

@Mike van der Valk I never realized that files were auto-attached. I'm assuming this is when the email is sent to the pipedrive email address for the deal? I have checked some existing deals for which the contact person has sent emails with attachments - and those attachments are not attached to the deal, nor are they attached to the person record. If you click on "Files" in the deal, nothing shows up (when they are attached in an email), and in the Person record when you click "Files" it shows the attachments in the emails - but they are still not attached to the person record. I also tested with the API, and the number of files is still "0" until that file is downloaded and then uploaded to be attached.  So my suggestion is (1) make it easy to attach an email attachment to a deal and/or person,  (2) Allow the email attachments to show up in deals record too - instead of only on the person record. 

@Martin Boonzaayer thanks for the clarification. I indeed forwarded this test email to the deal specific bcc address. I'll pass on your comments to the team, but  before I do so. Could you clarify why it's important to have the file saved on the person record and not inside the person record as email attachment. Probably there's a very good reason and I want to make sure I communicate this. to our team as well!

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2020 #5
    Options

@Mike van der Valk Actually, it's the deal record I'm more interested in. The reason for the distinction between showing up in an email vs attached to the record is for automation purposes. The API can only do something with a file that is attached to the record. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #6
    Options

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Martin, passing it along!

• Martin Boonzaayer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2020 #7
    Options

@Mike van der Valk My objective is to automate saving attached files to our google drive. Thus my reason for wanting an easy way to attach files from the email to the deal. However, maybe there is a way to do this by fetching the attachment from the email via the API.  But I can't seem to figure out how to go about that. When a new email message comes in, that will increment the "Email messages count" field which will trigger the "update deal" webhook. But I don't see a way to pull the associated Message ID, so that I can access that message. Any suggestions on how that could be done?

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2020 #8
    Options

@Martin Boonzaayer that's a great workaround, I hope you can make it work. I think it's best to ask that question here though. There's other developers and also some Pipedrive devs keeping an eye out over there: https://devcommunity.pipedrive.com/

Sorry to refer you there but I think that's easiest.