Are emails opened/links clicked only noting those that do so in the address line?

Options
Pat Monti
Pat Monti Member Posts: 6
First Comment First Anniversary

Are emails opened/links clicked only noting those that do so in the address line or are those that are cc'd also noted?

Information I've read has convinced me that all used to be tracked.

Hopefully that's been fixed so that only those in the address line; not cc's, are being tracked.

Otherwise, this feature is pretty much useless.

Thank you.

Answers

• Josh Buesking
    Josh Buesking Member Posts: 176
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    edited April 2023 #2
    Options

Feature is pretty much useless. Generally can tell that's it been opened/recieved the first time but even that's not given.

There's just a hidden pixel in the email that when requested counts as a view.

So even if you open it in a mail client outside pipedrive it counts as a open.

• Pat Monti
    Options

Thanks for your response, Josh; I do appreciate it. Anyone else have anything to share regarding the situation?

Yes, that does render the feature pretty much useless! Frankly, I was afraid of that based on information I've reviewed from the past but was hoping that Pipedrive had improved that. They most certainly need to!!!

Perhaps a work-around moving forward would be to only send to the intended recipient; no c.c.'s. At the very least that may provide more accurate results.

• Josh Buesking
    Josh Buesking Member Posts: 176
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

Only thing Pipedrive is guilty of is not doing a better job of explaining how inaccuarate it is.

It's a privacy thing that email clients can easily block, simple as not loading images renders it useless is my understanding.

There's no way to guarantee an email has been opened/read with any software.

There is a benefit though in the fact that several times I have sent a proposal and got no response but several weeks/later I can see the email being looked at again and kinda let's me get prepared and refreshes my memory if they call with some questions. It's just not reliable.

• Pat Monti
    Options

Understood, Josh. Thanks!

Also, some email clients block; some don't, and some companies block; some don't. In addition, it's difficult to discern if a real person or computer is opening. One way we've determined to be fairly reliable is by looking at the amount of time between sending and opening; if it's nearly immediate, it's generally not a person. If there is time between sending and opens and/or if there's time between multiple opens, it's generally a person.

Unfortunately, there are very few if any guarantees anymore. "It is what it is" seems to be the rule with nearly everything.