New default field: country (list of country ISOs)

Options
Mikk Märtmaa
Mikk Märtmaa Member Posts: 25
First Comment
edited July 2022 in Ideas and Product Feedback #1

We identify our client's location to better qualify them and offer them a better service. 

For this, we're using a free text field "Country ISO" at the moment. This brings different results - as we do not have a pre-existing list of countries and their ISO2's at hand, the entries may be GBR or GB, or US or USA. 

A dropdown option of country ISO codes would help. 

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2022 #2
    Options

Hi @Mikk Märtmaa , thank you for your feedback!

I suggest creating a single-option type of custom field that you feed with ISO codes from a reliable source (this one for example) and pick from there. With a free text type of field you run the risk of users mistyping or typing the same thing different ways, creating data inconsistencies and making it harder to filter data.

In any case, I've sent your suggestion for consideration by our team. 

• Mikk Märtmaa
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

Hi Ines, thanks for the suggestion! 
    Depending on if this will be built soon or rather not so soon, I'll see if creating my own list of countries makes sense :). The reason is that I'd have to manually transcribe all previously entered fields either once or twice. 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2020 #4
    Options

Depending on if this will be built soon or rather not so soon, I'll see if creating my own list of countries makes sense :). The reason is that I'd have to manually transcribe all previously entered fields either once or twice. 

I can't guarantee that this is something we will build, as not all feature requests are developed and there are priorities we decide when outlining our roadmap.

I'd recommend creating your custom single-option field, then filtering and bulk-editing in the list view to "transcribe" the free-text fields into the new ones, and finally deleting the field that held free text. Even if we were to create a default field for this, this operation would still be necessary. It may take some time to set up, but it will save you a lot of time and worry in the future. 🙂

Note: Some actions listed here may only be available to Admin Users.

Sections
    1: Customizing your List View
    2: Sorting in the List View
    3: Filters and custom reporting
    4: Exporting lists
    5: Bulk-E...
  • Mikk Märtmaa
    First Comment
    edited May 2020 #5
    Options

Understood, thanks for the update!

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,532
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

Hey Mike,

This won't give you the ISO names, but it will at least give you the names of the countries in a standard format.

Create an Address field, and add the user-submitted country field to this Address field.

Pipedrive's breakup of the Address field will give you the name of the country in a standard format. 

• Mikk Märtmaa
    First Comment
    edited May 2020 #7
    Options

Hey Mike,

This won't give you the ISO names, but it will at least give you the names of the countries in a standard format.

Create an Address field, and add the user-submitted country field to this Address field.

Pipedrive's breakup of the Address field will give you the name of the country in a standard format. 

Hey Amit, thanks for the tip!

Looks like this would work when we'd be inputting the addresses / country names manually. 

But in our case we send it via API from our website and I'm afraid the address lookup won't work right away. However, it's something to work on, at least. Thanks!

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,532
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited May 2020 #8
    Options

Hey Mike,

I do this with my leads, and happy to report that it works.

If you're using Zapier to route the leads into Pipedrive, all you've to do is map the country to the address field in Pipedrive in the Zap.

Hope this helps! :)

• Tim Cuthbertson
    Tim Cuthbertson Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2022 #9
    Options

I would like to Bulk update country field... We have many records with no country.  You can select the Col but not bulk edit just the country field.  How can I do this?

• Robert Carroll
    Robert Carroll Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2020 #10
    Options

Our clients have a number of websites that target countries or groups of countries. It would be great to have a field that uses the country's ISO to build groups for example Tier 1 = US, GB, CA, AU. Then I could send this info to our ad engine and help build the campaign. It would be workflow automation that would save time.