Best Way to Remove Email from a Contact Who Has Moved but Retain Email History

Options
ktownsend
ktownsend Member Posts: 4
Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment

We are trying to clean up our contacts and noticing that we know some people have moved and their email is no longer valid, but we want to retain the history of that email dialogue with them in Pipedrive. Is there a good way to remove email of someone who has moved but retain that dialogue?

Maybe a way to mark an email inactive or something, pending getting a new email at their next location? We thought about just removing the email address, but are worried that will make it lose the logged email history. Your help is greatly appreicated!

Answers

• Jared
    Jared Member Posts: 53
    5 Likes Combo Breaker First Comment First Answer
    Options

@ktownsend I have dealt with this before and what we did was keep the email on the contact and just add a new primary email so that everyone uses the new email address and not the "other" email.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

• ktownsend
    ktownsend Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Jared, what if you dont know what their NEW email will be? For example they moved to a new facility and you dont know what that new email is? How do you handle that?

Additionally, I assume there is a way to make those email categories so that you can determine which are active emails and inactive - did you just use "Other" as a category to let everyone know thats the old one?

Thanks for your insight!

• Jared
    Jared Member Posts: 53
    5 Likes Combo Breaker First Comment First Answer
    Options

@ktownsend for one of my clients, we set up an automation to run the email into a validator and then update a field on the contact.

Field: "Valid," "Invalid," "Blocked"

Even though the email was old we had the record with the email history. But we also knew that the email was no longer valid and could give that to our team to prospect for the new email address.

Hopefully, that is helpful.

• Aschmook
    Aschmook Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Options

Would love to have an additional marker for "invalid" or "inactive" if this is the only way to retain emails when someone switches companies

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 27
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Likes
    Options

we have the same problem when our solicitor clients move from one firm to another. We need to retain the data of our work with them in their original firm separate from the new work in the new firm.
    The work around we have used is to set up a new contact with the new email address and edited the Old contact name to: John (old profile) Doe.

this then sits on the system as a copy contact. We retain the history, but it is clear for everyone not to use this contact.