Leads - How to add to existing contacts?

Options
Michael Daoud
Michael Daoud Member Posts: 8

Hi,

I would like to use the Leads functionality to record potential leads with customers.  Early conversation prior to something being a deal.  When I create a deal, there doesn't seem to be a connection to any of the contacts or organizations in Pipedrive already.  Any way around that?

Tagged:

Comments

• Anshul M
    Anshul M Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2020 #2
    Options

Hi Michael

Either you can export both organization and contacts, them merge them in excel or google sheet with Org ID and Contacts ID side by side.

Later when you import them together, they will be attached with each other.

Or another approach via API where we can pull this up automatically in minimum time possible.

You can reach us at  https://cloudify.biz/ or directly mail me at am@cloudfiy.biz

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2020 #3
    Options

Hi @Michael Daoud !

When adding a Person or an Organization to a Deal, Pipedrive will check for potential matches for that contact and suggest them to you as you type - that's where you can pick them and link them to that Deal. This also avoids creating undesired duplicated contacts.

A similar thing happens with Leads, but only after you've created them (as what would be a Person or an Organization, should you choose to convert them): see the example below.

• Michael Daoud
    edited February 2022 #4
    Options

Thank Ines.  I see that now, but from a user experience point of view it seems awkward that the contact and organization cannot be looked up during a new lead entry just as it is possible with a deal so that phone number, email and org don't have to be entered upon creation.  

Any possibility of adding contact lookup during Lead creation?

• Kraig Ward
    Kraig Ward Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020 #5
    Options

Thank Ines.  I see that now, but from a user experience point of view it seems awkward that the contact and organization cannot be looked up during a new lead entry just as it is possible with a deal so that phone number, email and org don't have to be entered upon creation.  

@Michael Daoud I just had a chat convo with the Pipedrive team about this an hour ago. We asked the same question. See the following if you're curious to see what went down in the chat:

1) My query: https://share.getcloudapp.com/KouBq5D4

2) His answer: https://share.getcloudapp.com/WnubG9dK

3) And the conclusion: https://share.getcloudapp.com/qGuKd8yb

Hope this helps. The TLDR version is it appears to still be under development. 

• Michael Daoud
    edited June 2020 #6
    Options

Thanks Kraig.  Appreciate you following up on this.  The answers you posted seemed to be focused on converting a deal to a lead which is different than my query.  My only request is to be able to choose an existing contact and org. when creating a lead.  So my concept is that a lead is not a person but an opportunity tied to a person which could be someone in your contacts already.  Hope this helps.

• Aaron McCloud
    Aaron McCloud Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022 #7
    Options

I am in the same boat, I do not understand how you can move a contact to a lead (which seems it would be the most important thing to do within a CRM like this one). If anyone knows how to do this, please advise. Thank you.

• Alan McTighe
    Alan McTighe Member Posts: 17
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2020 #8
    Options

I am in the same boat, I do not understand how you can move a contact to a lead (which seems it would be the most important thing to do within a CRM like this one). If anyone knows how to do this, please advise. Thank you.

The simplest way on an individual basis is this (top right hand corner of the contacts details page "Add new deal" or "add new lead", but I'd like to do it in bulk against a list of contacts....

• Keith Greywood
    Keith Greywood Member Posts: 35
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2023 #9
    Options

Export the filter of the contacts you want the leads created for. In google or excel, use zapier to read this spreadsheet row by row, find the contact, and create a new lead. Simples.

Or you may be able to action this using filters and pipedrive automations.