If / then for custom fields

Georg Wässa
Georg Wässa Member Posts: 18
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Hi,

it would be great to have an if / then function for custom fields and labels

I mark my contacts as clients and suppliers and I need different information and custom fields for those contacts.

So it would be great to have a function like "if organisation has label client then make custom field A selectable" and "if organisation has label supplier then make custom field B selectable"

Like the workflows

8 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2022 #2

Hi @Georg Wässa , thank you for your feedback!

So you'd like field be to be "locked" unless field A had a certain type of data, is that correct? A workaround might be creating those variations within the custom field you already have, like for example Supplier National, Supplier International, etc.

I can tell you we're working on introducing if/then type of conditions into Workflow Automations but I don't think "locking"/"unlocking" fields is something we've considered so far.  We've sent your suggestion internally for consideration.

• Georg Wässa
    edited June 2020 #3

So you'd like field be to be "locked" unless field A had a certain type of data, is that correct? A workaround might be creating those variations within the custom field you already have, like for example Supplier National, Supplier International, etc.

I can tell you we're working on introducing if/then type of conditions into Workflow Automations but I don't think "locking"/"unlocking" fields is something we've considered so far.  We've sent your suggestion internally for consideration.

Hi @Inês Batata 

thank you for your reply. Well I am not sure if "locked" is the rigth term so I called it "selectable".  At the moment I am using the workaround like you descriped it. the problem is that I have nearly 20 different custom fields and 3 different labels for organisations. That leads to that you see 12 to 15 custom fields which you didnt need and the overview is very bad.

for example the following organisation is labeled as "Akquise", the customs fields "Kategorie", "Branchfokus", "Wertschöpfung" und "Größenklasse" with the ending "Investor" are shown. For organisation with the label "Akquise" these fields are totally useless so I need a function to hide them.

On the other hand when the organisation is labeled as "Investor" these fields are very important. 

• Inês Batata
    edited June 2020 #4

Thank you for illustrating your use case so clearly @Georg Wässa , this type of information helps us a lot. 

You can set up custom fields to now show up in the sidebar unless there's data in them. Just leave the box unticked, like the example below.

The fields will always be visible in the sidebar when there's data in them.

Settings > Data Fields > Edit

• Georg Wässa
    edited June 2020 #5

Hi @Inês Batata 

I know this feature and it is not helpful in my case as longs as I cant set the shown option for organisation with different labels. If a field should be shown or marked as important dependes to the label. Your shown feature dont care about the label. So it doesn't fit for my problem.

• Inês Batata
    edited July 2021 #6

Absolutely, I understand it's still not exactly what you need @Georg Wässa , I was suggesting an approximation to get closer to your end goal.

But you've illustrated your use case in a very clear and easy to understand way, which will be valuable for our team to take into consideration.

• Natalie Ciranna
    Natalie Ciranna Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2022 #7

I was looking for something like that as well as well as we work with customers and Partners/Resellers so I essentially need different fields for the 2 different types of organisations we are dealing with. It is 2 different sets of data you are I am trying to manage in pipedrive

• Inês Batata
    edited July 2020 #8

I was looking for something like that as well as well as we work with customers and Partners/Resellers so I essentially need different fields for the 2 different types of organisations we are dealing with. It is 2 different sets of data you are I am trying to manage in pipedrive

Hi @Natalie Ciranna !

I would suggest creating two different custom fields: one for Partners and one for Resellers. At the moment it's not possible to have a single custom field that unfolds into different sub-options depending on the first option you choose.

• Natalie Ciranna
    Natalie Ciranna Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2020 #9

Hi, 

Thanks for the suggestion. What we are looking for is 2 completely different types of organisations. For those different types of organisations I need 20 custom fields each to collect the relevant data. I It is not feasible to add 40 custom fields to be in all of them if half of them are irrelevant. Hiding all fields on all accounts if they are not filled out is also not a solution as people will not fill them out if they do not see them. Making them mandatory is also not an option as not all fields are relevant or fitting for different types of organisations.  So unfortunately the suggestion does not replace the feature I am looking for.

• Georg Wässa
    edited July 2020 #10

My problem is exactly the same. Would be a very helpful feature

• Inês Batata
    edited July 2020 #11

Thank you for the additional details @Natalie Ciranna . I'm afraid at the moment we don't have a solution that fits your end goal perfectly, but I've made sure to forward your suggestions to our team so they can take them into consideration.

• Graziano Masia
    Graziano Masia Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited August 2021 #12

HI, we have in many cases the same problem, but with Deal: depending from which Product we insert in the Deal, it should shown some custom fields ( and hide others ) . Would be Very useful conditional show based on field/custom fileds, other than pipeline stage.

• Bjørn-Henning Opheim
    Bjørn-Henning Opheim Member Posts: 57
    5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2022 #13

There are a lot of threads around "better custom fields", so it would be smart to try and do something about this @Inês Batata . In my case I need to gather a lot of information about a specific product I have sold. If I sell a LED screen, I need to have certain fields for that, like brand, pixelpitch and so on. If I sell a TV screen, I need other fields for that, like size, serial and so on. Today we just make a document (Google Sheet) that we all have access to on the customer. And we sell many other products (that we need to have service on) also. When you consider that you must have different custom fields for every product, there are a lot of fields. If we had conditional logic, this would not be a problem.

• CTScom
    CTScom Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

We have the exact same need: We got a lot of information to gather on the phone depending on the type of the project. With 5+ different types of project, almost 80% of the custom fields we would have to add would be useless / empty and only needed (and then mandatory) if certain criteria (one being type of project) are met.

It would really help us digitalizing our whole sales process within pipedrive if there were conditional logic added (at least to show / hide certain fields).

We would even consider custom development or to be a test case.