Direction of Energy

Jordan Allen
Jordan Allen Member Posts: 8
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Good afternoon all,

I have been told and feel myself that I have the energy and passion to sell, I have proven that I can sell, I can persuade and I can think on my feet... However, I have only about 12 months of sales experience, all of it has been on the fly and not 100% committed as I have been doing other roles at the same time... 

This week I moved positions in my current company into a BDE role, 100% focused on sales and development... I have found some of my own flaws already (probably more to come) - But I need to fix it, as I have big targets and short time to hit them.

How do I create a process, or what is the best process to follow... at the moment, I am spending a bit of time finding prospective companies, a bit of time phoning companies, then I'll re call previous contacts, then I'll look for more, then I'll do this and do that and other things and I find myself constantly doing something, but in no particular order. I feel the sales process should be and could be a lot more defined to give me a real sense of direction...

What is "the best" (I know that is a loose term) flow of actions. I don't always know what to do next as such so I just keep chopping and changing through stages.

Any help appreciated as I KNOW I can be very successful at this, I just feel like my bag of smarties needs channelling.

Thanks

Comments

• Hannah Woodman
    Hannah Woodman Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2022 #2

I'm really keen to see what others say about this!

My line manager (a killer salesperson) taught me to make a list of 10 companies that I want to focus on at one time (usually per week).

I'd call each of them first thing while people are free (before meetings etc), around lunch and then at 5pm. Failing this follow up with an email if you've not caught them after 3 attempts. For the rest of the day, I dedicate some time to research/news flow/LinkedIn to see who else I should be looking to contact, what I do requires more research so that I can get the pitch just right and tailor this to each person/organisation.

I get sidetracked easily too and find it hard to stick with an hour by hour routine (perhaps it's sales trait), I do find that setting myself realistic Activities by day in PD helps my focus.

Best,

Hannah

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #3

I'm really keen to see what others say about this!

My line manager (a killer salesperson) taught me to make a list of 10 companies that I want to focus on at one time (usually per week).

I'd call each of them first thing while people are free (before meetings etc), around lunch and then at 5pm. Failing this follow up with an email if you've not caught them after 3 attempts. For the rest of the day, I dedicate some time to research/news flow/LinkedIn to see who else I should be looking to contact, what I do requires more research so that I can get the pitch just right and tailor this to each person/organisation.

I get sidetracked easily too and find it hard to stick with an hour by hour routine (perhaps it's sales trait), I do find that setting myself realistic Activities by day in PD helps my focus.

Best,

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for this, my line of work is probably much less research inclined etc, being transport, haulage, storage and of the other spiel that comes with it... In short I'm selling space on the back of a vehicle with a service.

I do think it's a trait as my old line manager was the same, I think sales people have that short attention span in a moment where we can switch off if something is not working and then tune in when something pricks our ears.

Thanks

Jordan

• Gary Allen
    Gary Allen Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2022 #4

Jordan

Take my advice...

Go to this website, it's the best prospecting strategy and tactics material I've come across in the last 10 years.

https://blissfulprospecting.com/

If you can solve you customers problems, you can always hit target...

Good luck...

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #5

Jordan

Take my advice...

Go to this website, it's the best prospecting strategy and tactics material I've come across in the last 10 years.

Good luck...

Thank you Gary, this will be this evenings homework! Much appreciated

Jordan

• Jon Morris
    Jon Morris Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2022 #6

When it comes to prospecting, I generally recommend the following strategy:

1. Warm leads first: Assuming you have a names account list or have identified prospects, always try to find a connector to make an introduction. Most of my initial outreach is to 2nd party connections on LinkedIn to see if someone can make an intro. 

2. Executive help: If you do not have any 2nd party connections on LinkedIn see if an executive in your company has either a connection with your prospect or a 2nd party connection. They also often  times will have a higher percentage chance of getting a response. 

3. Determine reasons to reach out:  The more you can partner with marketing the better on this. You need reasons to reach out other than “buy something from me”. Whether it is stats, research or content that your prospect might find interesting or invitation to events or something personal that they might like you need to constantly have different reasons to follow up

hope this is helpful. 

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #7

When it comes to prospecting, I generally recommend the following strategy:

1. Warm leads first: Assuming you have a names account list or have identified prospects, always try to find a connector to make an introduction. Most of my initial outreach is to 2nd party connections on LinkedIn to see if someone can make an intro. 

2. Executive help: If you do not have any 2nd party connections on LinkedIn see if an executive in your company has either a connection with your prospect or a 2nd party connection. They also often  times will have a higher percentage chance of getting a response. 

3. Determine reasons to reach out:  The more you can partner with marketing the better on this. You need reasons to reach out other than “buy something from me”. Whether it is stats, research or content that your prospect might find interesting or invitation to events or something personal that they might like you need to constantly have different reasons to follow up

hope this is helpful. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jon, really appreciate this.

There are certain aspects I will definitely take into account, thank you.

• Phil Whitebloom
    Phil Whitebloom Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2021 #8

Hi Jordan,

I understand your growing pains. It is a process of goal setting, understanding realistic expectations for each step, discipline, and a positive attitude. Pretty generic statement I just made and not much help. There are nuances related to different types of selling from business to consumer, to business to business, and business to government. As well as others. I have been doing this now for 40 years and managing new and seasoned salespeople for almost 30 years. Drop me a note in LinkedIn and I will be happy to talk with you on your specific situation.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-whitebloom-30b8b14/

Best of success to you.  Good Selling!   Phil

• Sue Steckle
    Sue Steckle Member Posts: 23
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #9

I'm a marketer with little exposure to sales / closing techniques. The book "The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies" by Chet Holmes was recommended to me. It's a classic (read: a bit dated) but chock full of sales strategies. I'd recommend putting it on your reading list for some ideas. He covers creating a Top 100 list and being relentless in your follow up, ideas mentioned by others here.

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #10

I'm a marketer with little exposure to sales / closing techniques. The book "The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies" by Chet Holmes was recommended to me. It's a classic (read: a bit dated) but chock full of sales strategies. I'd recommend putting it on your reading list for some ideas. He covers creating a Top 100 list and being relentless in your follow up, ideas mentioned by others here.

Thank you Sue, I guess I have a lot more reading to do that I thought! Have a blessed day!

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,087 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited February 2022 #11

I'm pinning this post to the main and British channel feed, this is pure gold for anyone in the field to get ideas and share knowledge. Thanks for asking this question @Jordan Allen and I hope this great community of likeminded people will continue to share knowledge like it's happening here! 🙌🏻

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #12

I'm pinning this post to the main and British channel feed, this is pure gold for anyone in the field to get ideas and share knowledge. Thanks for asking this question @Jordan Allen and I hope this great community of likeminded people will continue to share knowledge like it's happening here! 🙌🏻

Hi Mike, 

Thank you, hopefully the feed might also get more responses and as more people read this then different methods can assist different people.

• Jordan Allen
    edited August 2020 #13

Jordan

Take my advice...

Good luck...

Hi @Gary Allen  Thanks for the link here, I had a glance yesterday evening and I have just been on this again, I like the message and the technique.

Thanks again