How to handle person contacts when they moved to new companies

Options
Ted Youn
Ted Youn Member Posts: 116
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2022 in Business Talk #1

Suppose I have a person contact Peter Parker  who have been in an organization A for a while. When I made a phone call to him, he told me that he just moved to another organization B with a different email. So I made another person contact for Peter Parker, which results in two person contacts:

1. Peter Parker in organization A
  2. Peter Parker in organization B

I already have a lengthy history of deals with the first person contact. But I cannot find this history from the second person contact.

How do you handle this kind of situation? Does Pipedrive support any feature about 'contact person moving to another organization'?

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited September 2020 #2
    Options

Hi @Ted Youn 

In this case it also depends on your need of what information to retain. Most of our customers would update the information of the same contact person and then keep the "old info" in a custom field like "previous org" or decide to save it all in a note for example.

• John Joosten
    John Joosten Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

Hi @Mike van der Valk , My colleague added a new person with the same name and made a new deal in pipedrive.

I think you should only have one person. Can you tell what happens if we merge the persons to one. Willl all the contact moments of that person be kept in place? ALso from hid former employer?

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited May 2021 #4
    Options

Hi @Mike van der Valk , My colleague added a new person with the same name and made a new deal in pipedrive.

I think you should only have one person. Can you tell what happens if we merge the persons to one. Willl all the contact moments of that person be kept in place? ALso from hid former employer?

Hi @John Joosten 

Yes I would advice merging those two person records. All communications, activities, emails, notes etc.. will save under the newly merged person.