Help us make Pipedrive search better.

Ambar Raj
Ambar Raj Member Posts: 10
edited February 14 in Research and Beta Testing #1

Hi, I am Ambar, Product Manager at Pipedrive.

We are currently working on revamping search in Pipedrive and would like to know how you use PD search in your daily work . Any feedback, ideas and suggestions are welcome. 

Our aim is to make more items in Pipedrive searchable, improve User Interface, potentially add some filters and ultimately make PD search more robust. 

You can comment here with your ideas or can schedule a video call with me until October 16th using this Scheduler link

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• BaptisteBLC
    BaptisteBLC Member Posts: 247
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2022 #2

Hi @Ambar Raj ,

Your calendar link doesn't work.

• Bart Manders
    Bart Manders Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #3

Dear Ambar,

I use the Google Search option in their products (Drive & GMail) and with that you are able to find everything. 

Also using basic commands such as:

"FROM: " "TO" "LABEL"

• Jonathan Templin
    Jonathan Templin Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #4

I use Pipedrive Search as the main way of bouncing from one deal or organization to another. As a subscription service that doesn't use auto-renewal, over time we have many deals for each customer (one per year). It would be great to just quickly filter out open (or won or lost) deals in the search. Otherwise, we can end up with a lot of deals coming up, and it can be tricky to quickly identify which one we are looking for.

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #5
    Baptiste said:

Hi @Ambar Raj ,

Your calendar link doesn't work.

Thanks for noticing. Updated it. 

• Sue Steckle
    Sue Steckle Member Posts: 23
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #6

I use the search function every time I'm in Pipedrive.

• search for specific people and their associated deals, or to determine if they exist at all before adding
    • search for deals when I don't know which pipeline they are in... and even if I do know which they are in as it's easier to search than to visually scroll through the list of cards
    • I don't use it for keyword searches much but see how that's helpful for identifying notes / activity updates with specific terms used
  • Mo Rea
    Mo Rea Member Posts: 19
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #7

In order of importance to me:
    1. I use search about every 5 minutes.  Here's my biggest pet peeve, when I'm searching to see if a contact or company already exists in pipedrive and there is no previous entry, you don't suggest to create a new entry (which to me would be the logical next step), you offer a link to quick help instead.  So I would like for the search to suggest a new person or organization or list of options to select from if an entry is not found in the CRM.

2. When searching for emails to link to a deal I have to remember to go into mail and do the search (after 3 years of using pipedrive I still forget, go figure).  If there's a way to search for emails from the main search bar to then link to deals that would be awesome.  But I understand if it has to be from the mail page.

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #8

Dear Ambar,

I use the Google Search option in their products (Drive & GMail) and with that you are able to find everything. 

Also using basic commands such as:

"FROM: " "TO" "LABEL"

Both are good examples. We do are looking into the possibility to be able to search synced emails from PD itself. 

@Bart Manders so you have to go to gmail to search for emails? Is it a big issue for you? To switch between gmail and PD often.

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #9

I use Pipedrive Search as the main way of bouncing from one deal or organization to another. As a subscription service that doesn't use auto-renewal, over time we have many deals for each customer (one per year). It would be great to just quickly filter out open (or won or lost) deals in the search. Otherwise, we can end up with a lot of deals coming up, and it can be tricky to quickly identify which one we are looking for.

Yeah, this is definitely in our plan. :)

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #10
    Mo Rea said:

In order of importance to me:
    1. I use search about every 5 minutes.  Here's my biggest pet peeve, when I'm searching to see if a contact or company already exists in pipedrive and there is no previous entry, you don't suggest to create a new entry (which to me would be the logical next step), you offer a link to quick help instead.  So I would like for the search to suggest a new person or organization or list of options to select from if an entry is not found in the CRM.

2. When searching for emails to link to a deal I have to remember to go into mail and do the search (after 3 years of using pipedrive I still forget, go figure).  If there's a way to search for emails from the main search bar to then link to deals that would be awesome.  But I understand if it has to be from the mail page.

@Mo Rea I hear you. We are looking into both of these things. Email search is more tricky but it is definitely in our plans.  Thanks for the feedback. 

• Francisco Duwe
    Francisco Duwe Member Posts: 18
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #11

My biggest problem with the search tool is that I have thousands of deals/contacts/companies and whenever I want to search something, it's a mess because I cannot filter the search so I have tons of results for a single search.

• Jesko
    Jesko Member Posts: 13
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2022 #12

For me there is one biggest usability issue, which I stumble over several times a day:

The lack of intelligent sorting of search results which shows the top matches at the very top of the list.

Let's say I am at the page of a specific organization and click on the activity tab to create an activity and then use the contact search on the activity tab to assign a contact to that activity. Once I start typing the name currently Pipedrive gives me a huge list of matches. It's tedious to find the correct one. It would be a great help if Pipedrive would show the contacts belonging to the currently displayed organization at the very top of the list. (because typically I want to assign a contact of the current organization to that acitivity)

It would be also very helpful if I wouldn't need to type anything into the (contact) search field but if I e.g. would show the top matches simply by focusing the search field (or e.g. by pressing "arrow down").

Example: For the contact search on the activity tab focusing that search field would show the ten most relevant / most frequently used contacts of the currently displayed organization, followed by contacts of associated organizations.

The same applies when I want to add a contact to a deal which already is assigned to an organization. In 99% of all cases I want to choose a contact from the same organization to which the deal belongs. So those contacts should be listed first.

And the same also applies when I create an email from the deals or organization page. There should be a quick way to choose a contact from the contacts belonging to that organization instead of getting a huge list of all contacts in Pipedrive.

And the same also applies to the search fields which allow to find and assign a deal and an organization to an activity.

---

The second most important search feature for us would be to allow to quickly find a specific organization from the global search by searching for the value of a certain (custom) attribute

Example: We have a unique numeric customer number assigned to each of our customers (=organisations). It would be awesome, if I could assign a short search token to that custom field "customer number" e.g. "cn" so that I can then simply

• type cn:1234 to find all organizations which have a customer number containing 1234 and
    • type cn:"1234" to find the one organization which exactly has the customer number 1234.

We perform this search many times a day and as you can imagine, typing 1234 into the global search fields returns many unintended matches. Narrowing the search scope down to a specific attribute would help a lot.

• Lukas Zischewski
    Lukas Zischewski Member Posts: 37
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #13

I'd love if the "note" section of the deal would be searchable too. In some cases i wrote some phrases or information down there and want to jump back to the deal when i remember the information but dont recall which deal it was.

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #14

• search for specific people and their associated deals, or to determine if they exist at all before adding
    • search for deals when I don't know which pipeline they are in... and even if I do know which they are in as it's easier to search than to visually scroll through the list of cards
    • I don't use it for keyword searches much but see how that's helpful for identifying notes / activity updates with specific terms used

@Sue Steckle Thanks for this info. 

When you search for deals and people then do you need any other information associated with deals/people which can help you to identify the correct one faster? 

Or any filters? let's say by the owner or created date for example?

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #15

My biggest problem with the search tool is that I have thousands of deals/contacts/companies and whenever I want to search something, it's a mess because I cannot filter the search so I have tons of results for a single search.

We have plans to introduce filters. What kind of filters will be most useful for you? @Francisco Duwe 

• Sue Steckle
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #16

An indicator if deals which match my search are open or closed would be helpful, same for organizations that match my search, if they have an open deal, put the green dot beside them, red for lost deals and empty (white) dot for no deal. We have a lot of people and organizations in our system who have no deal activity; this would help filter to the one I'm looking for.

• Sue Steckle
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #17

I'd love if the "note" section of the deal would be searchable too. In some cases i wrote some phrases or information down there and want to jump back to the deal when i remember the information but dont recall which deal it was.

I think it might be already - I did a search to today and saw a result that indicated three matches in "notes".

• Jesko
    edited February 2022 #18

We have many organizations with the same name (e.g. because they are sister companies at different locations). Typing the name of the organization shows all of these matching organisations - and all matches look the same. We have to click them one by one until we find the correct organization.

It would help a lot if I could specify which (custom) fields to show as additional information for each type of search result e.g. to distinguish organizations we could choose to show the city and the customer number below the name of the organisation. For persons I could e.g. choose to show the name of the according organization (as it's done already) and the position of the employee as additional information.

• Sue Steckle
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #19
    Jesko said:

We have many organizations with the same name (e.g. because they are sister companies at different locations). Typing the name of the organization shows all of these matching organisations - and all matches look the same. We have to click them one by one until we find the correct organization.

It would help a lot if I could specify which (custom) fields to show as additional information for each type of search result e.g. to distinguish organizations we could choose to show the city and the customer number below the name of the organisation. For persons I could e.g. choose to show the name of the according organization (as it's done already) and the position of the employee as additional information.

I agree - being able to see the city for similar organizations when searching would help a lot. 

• Jesko
    edited October 2020 #20
    Jesko said:

The same applies to the embedded searches e.g. when I want to switch a deal to another organization and search by the name of an organization, Pipedrive simply lists the matching organizations by their plain names without any additional information. So if several organizations have the same name I have to guess blindly which of the entries might be the correct one, see screenshot:

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #21
    Jesko said:

For me there is one biggest usability issue, which I stumble over several times a day:

The lack of intelligent sorting of search results which shows the top matches at the very top of the list.

Let's say I am at the page of a specific organization and click on the activity tab to create an activity and then use the contact search on the activity tab to assign a contact to that activity. Once I start typing the name currently Pipedrive gives me a huge list of matches. It's tedious to find the correct one. It would be a great help if Pipedrive would show the contacts belonging to the currently displayed organization at the very top of the list. (because typically I want to assign a contact of the current organization to that acitivity)

It would be also very helpful if I wouldn't need to type anything into the (contact) search field but if I e.g. would show the top matches simply by focusing the search field (or e.g. by pressing "arrow down").

Example: For the contact search on the activity tab focusing that search field would show the ten most relevant / most frequently used contacts of the currently displayed organization, followed by contacts of associated organizations.

The same applies when I want to add a contact to a deal which already is assigned to an organization. In 99% of all cases I want to choose a contact from the same organization to which the deal belongs. So those contacts should be listed first.

And the same also applies when I create an email from the deals or organization page. There should be a quick way to choose a contact from the contacts belonging to that organization instead of getting a huge list of all contacts in Pipedrive.

And the same also applies to the search fields which allow to find and assign a deal and an organization to an activity.

---

The second most important search feature for us would be to allow to quickly find a specific organization from the global search by searching for the value of a certain (custom) attribute

Example: We have a unique numeric customer number assigned to each of our customers (=organisations). It would be awesome, if I could assign a short search token to that custom field "customer number" e.g. "cn" so that I can then simply

• type cn:1234 to find all organizations which have a customer number containing 1234 and
    • type cn:"1234" to find the one organization which exactly has the customer number 1234.

We perform this search many times a day and as you can imagine, typing 1234 into the global search fields returns many unintended matches. Narrowing the search scope down to a specific attribute would help a lot.

This is good feed @Jesko. Thank you

• Ryan Catchings
    Ryan Catchings Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2021 #22

It would be great if phone numbers were searchable in any format and regardless if how the phone number is saved within the data field. For example 404-444-4444 versus (404) 444-4444 or 4044444444

• Guillaume_1141
    Guillaume_1141 Member Posts: 45
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited October 2020 #23

Hi,

I use search A LOT and it is always a tricky experience. Too much results. I still don't really get the logic of the list displayed. 

I am really strict on naming the deals in the company so the search can get easier and even so, if I put one word, I get a long list mixing Won deals, active deals, documents etc etc and it is not displayed at least alphabetically. 

When adding more words or numbers to the search, it helps but doesn't solve. I wish I could put mandatory words (like when creating filters, the OR / AND options) may be using a sign like blabla +blabla. 

Email searching is a must have.

When a doc is displayed as a result, a mouse over should display from which deal or where the doc is available. Presently, clicking on it open the doc but you have no clue where it is. Almost always I need to check the file but even more check the deal realted to the doc. The file is sometimes a way to remember a deal or a person.

I think it would be useful to be able to attach several companies and contact to the same deal, at least a provider and a client. Remember a sale is frequently a 3 parts process: Manufacturer (if not yourself) / Intermediary (you) / Client. Then you can search narrowing the search with both the client and the provider info. The way around right now for us is to include DATE (reverse date for alphabetic order purpose), PROVIDER, CLIENT, SHORT SUBJECT, SALES ORDER #, INVOICE #, all this into the title of each deal...  Without doing this, we would have a big large mess...

• Lukas Zischewski
    Lukas Zischewski Member Posts: 37
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #24

Let us search for phone numbers

• Sue Steckle
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #25

@Ambar Raj I just tripped over another search scenario which could be improved. I searched for a contact to find the deal(s) he's linked to and none came up, the contact record for this person was the only search result. He's linked as a participant in a deal which I wasn't aware of, so I contacted him again, then got "feedback" <ahem> from another team member that there's a status update in the deal already. 

Bottom line - when searching for people, the deals they are participants in should come up in the search results please.

I thought the deal would be in the search results, and I could go directly there to get the deal-specific BCC. I didn't click through to the contact, to see if there were deals linked to him, to find the deal-specific BCC ... since when I searched for him by name, no deals came up in the search results. Lots of extra steps to find a deal this way currently.

• Ambar Raj
    edited October 2020 #26

@Ambar Raj I just tripped over another search scenario which could be improved. I searched for a contact to find the deal(s) he's linked to and none came up, the contact record for this person was the only search result. He's linked as a participant in a deal which I wasn't aware of, so I contacted him again, then got "feedback" <ahem> from another team member that there's a status update in the deal already. 

Bottom line - when searching for people, the deals they are participants in should come up in the search results please.

I thought the deal would be in the search results, and I could go directly there to get the deal-specific BCC. I didn't click through to the contact, to see if there were deals linked to him, to find the deal-specific BCC ... since when I searched for him by name, no deals came up in the search results. Lots of extra steps to find a deal this way currently.

@Sue Steckle That's a good suggestion and I can see why it can be useful for a lot of people. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Ambar Raj
    edited November 2020 #27
    Jesko said:

@Jesko This is our main use case we are working on. To be able to distinguish similar names from each other. :)

• Katie Haystead
    Katie Haystead Member Posts: 11
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #28

Searching when in list view would be great to pull out what you need without requiring a filter each time. Ie. if I want a quick glance at how many Vice Presidents I have in my data, I wish I could just type that and it have it pull out the rest vs. filters each time. If Filters are still needed, being able to filter similar to an excel spread sheet when in list form OR create a filter but not require it to be saved. I find I end up with way more filters than I need as some are just one time searches.

This discussion has been closed.