New: Date fields now trigger Automations! 📆 🤖

Options
Inês Batata
Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
edited July 2022 in What's New #1

Why?

• Build automations when date fields values change (Deals, People, Organizations)
  • Share date-related data from a trigger event into an action event (e.g. "Deal expected close date", a custom Person date field)

For whom?

• All users with Workflow Automations (Advanced plan and above)

What can a user do?

• Use default and custom date fields as triggers in automation conditions
  • Use default and custom date fields as 'merge fields' in automation actions

Still to come:

• Relative date comparators (e.g. "earlier than 3 months")
  • Trigger a workflow based on the date value of the date field

🧑‍🏫 Learn all about Workflow Automations with our Academy videos and from our Knowledge Base tutorials.

❓What's the first Workflow Automation that you're going to build using this new capability?

19612_Screen_Capture_on_2020-10-27_at_12-08-18.gif

Comments

• Martin Pecha_2338
    Martin Pecha_2338 Member Posts: 146
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Comment
    edited March 2022 #2
    Options

Finally, great news to hear! Looking forward to date-based trigger workflow - this will be gamechanger :)

• Lukas Zischewski
    Lukas Zischewski Member Posts: 37
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

How can you do automations with the [] bracket options?

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2020 #4
    Options

How can you do automations with the [] bracket options?

@Lukas I'm using a Mac, so in my computer it's Alt+8 to open a bracket :)

How to use values of the trigger in text fields? Start typing an opening bracket [ inside a text field and you’ll be able to pick trigger values to be replaced later when the action is executed.

• Dan Ellison_4135
    Dan Ellison_4135 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022 #5
    Options

What would really be great is to be able to trigger off an actual date... "If date is today then do this" 

Is this possible?

Could be useful for birthdays, anniversaries etc to set things into motion certain days before a due date to create activities.

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,078 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited November 2020 #6
    Options

What would really be great is to be able to trigger off an actual date... "If date is today then do this" 

Is this possible?

Could be useful for birthdays, anniversaries etc to set things into motion certain days before a due date to create activities.

@Dan Ellison this will come in the next updates, stay tuned!

• Christian Ayala
    Christian Ayala Member Posts: 62
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited February 2022 #7
    Options

A little confused.  So this only works when a date field goes from empty to populated?  We cannot use a specific date to trigger yet, right? @Mike van der Valk @Inês Batata 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited November 2020 #8
    Options

A little confused.  So this only works when a date field goes from empty to populated?  We cannot use a specific date to trigger yet, right? @Mike van der Valk @Inês Batata 

@Christian Ayala any change in the field. So it can be from empty to filled, the other way around or a date change. Triggers on the date itself is still being worked on and coming as well!

• Gianluca Vandenberg
    Gianluca Vandenberg Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2020 #9
    Options

Is this possible?

The current constraints within the automation tool make it impossible for us to utilize it at all. What Dan is asking here is one of the simple things. It would make things so much easier if there was a plain open if this then that method, so anyone can create what fits their needs. 

As an example, we want to notify our team members with an activity in an ongoing deal. This trigger should only go off when the active deal is before a certain point and if one of the custom fields (in the organization) is equal to 'so and so'. This trigger should go off on a specific date. Now, this is not possible for multiple reasons, the most frustrating one would be that you can't set conditions for both the deal and organization fields in one automation. 

Hope you guys will be working towards something that allows full customization or at least a broader range of option. 

• Mike van der Valk
    edited March 2022 #10
    Options

Is this possible?

Thanks for the feedback @Gianluca Vandenberg we're indeed working on those time triggers so what you are describing should be possible once that's live. Stay tuned and thanks for sharing and your patience!

• Sales Manager_21720
    Sales Manager_21720 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #11
    Options

I have a question about this. So I have the opportunity of setting a trigger if a date field is updated, for example, "Contract closed" (in our case we used "has changed" or "is not empty" to fire the event). What I would like to do then is setting a "Contract End" date that automatically sets the value 36 months ahead of the closing date. 

Is this possible somehow or will this be available in the future? So far I can only calculate a future date (lets say in 1 year) but this always takes the current date as a basis and not the date of the "Contract closed".

So in short, can I calculate future dates that take other date fields as a basis?

• Mike van der Valk
    edited February 2021 #12
    Options

I have a question about this. So I have the opportunity of setting a trigger if a date field is updated, for example, "Contract closed" (in our case we used "has changed" or "is not empty" to fire the event). What I would like to do then is setting a "Contract End" date that automatically sets the value 36 months ahead of the closing date. 

Is this possible somehow or will this be available in the future? So far I can only calculate a future date (lets say in 1 year) but this always takes the current date as a basis and not the date of the "Contract closed".

So in short, can I calculate future dates that take other date fields as a basis?

@Sales Manager currently this is not possible unfortunately :( I'll pass this suggestion on to our team though, thanks for sharing.

• Nic Jurgens
    Nic Jurgens Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2021 #13
    Options

Is there any idea of an expected release date for the following still to come items? These features are a huge need for my org, and will be a major boost for our functionality within Pipedrive once these features are live.

• Relative date comparators (e.g. "earlier than 3 months")
  • Rémon_43142
    Rémon_43142 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited June 2021 #14
    Options

Is this possible?

Hi, 

We are considering using Pipedrive as our CRM and I'm using a Trial Account so far. This option will be crucial for my sales sequence. I see its been 7 months, is the function live already?

• Marcos Menéndez
    Marcos Menéndez Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2022 #15
    Options

Any update on this functionality?

I guess it is the most common use case that we are all looking for

• Graham Cox
    Graham Cox Member Posts: 156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited February 2023 #16
    Options

I'd really like to be able to use a date comparator in an automation, eg 1 day before date specified in date field, send an email, or create an activity

• Oriol Segarra
    Oriol Segarra Member Posts: 7
    First Answer Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2023 #17
    Options

2023, 3 years after this release and still not able to trigger X days before date in field...

• Manuel Oliveira
    Manuel Oliveira Admin Posts: 1,071 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Hi everyone, date and filter-based automations are in the plans for 2023. We will be sure to reveal more details closer to the release date.

• Cyril POIROT
    Cyril POIROT Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

Hi,

Happy to learn that. The FIRST automation my boss want me to do is automatically change a deal step according a a custom field's date... It seemed to obvious that i never doubt it would be easy.

I am still a little worried that we're at the end of october, therefore the end of 2023 is approaching !

• Graham Cox
    Options

Hi Manuel, is this likely to be delivered this year?

Thanks.

• Manuel Oliveira
    Manuel Oliveira Admin Posts: 1,071 COMMUNITY MANAGER
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Hi @Graham Cox time triggers for automations are already being worked on. The product team is aiming for a 2023 release, but it could be early 2024 if the team needs more time to deliver the feature. Be sure to keep an eye on the What's New section for updates :)

• Marc Feijen
    Marc Feijen Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

Is it already known when it will be possible to start a workflow based on a date field? For example: Trigger = Deal [date field] -5 days =

Action send email.

This would be really great if this becomes possible!

• David Gurr (Make.com)
    Options

I can appreciate why it will be great to have this as a native feature in Pipedrive ...

... but in the meantime, it's possible to do this with Make. Anyone who is already a Make user should definitely give it a go.

You'd have two Make scenarios:

• One that triggers on a new or updated Deal record and checks to see if the date field has been set. If it has, it records the new Trigger date (date - 5 days) and the Deal id in a Make Data Store
    • Another that is scheduled to run daily. It checks the Data Store to see if there's a trigger due. If so, it sends the email.
  • Graham Cox
    Options
  • Kristin Rakoczy
    Kristin Rakoczy Member Posts: 4
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

Any update on these features? My sales org is wanting a notification 180 days before a custom date field date. (example - the sales rep notates a customers contract end date and wants an alert 180 days before to contact the lead for a new contract)

How do I set alerts like this? If this is not a native Pipedrive feature does anyone have a creative way to do this?

• David Gurr (Make.com)
    Options

Hey @Kristin Rakoczy - you might have noticed my earlier post that you can do this right now with Make.

You could even go one step further and send the email automatically to the customer, cc'ing the sales rep.

If you need any pointers or want to discuss further, feel free to DM me or post a request in the Make Community. There's many Pipedrive users there who will help and comment!