How to retain contacts history when they move to another organisation

Options
Gareth Deck
Gareth Deck Member Posts: 1

We had a problem when a contact shifted from one organisation to another whom we also deal with, and we needed to retain the email history and notes associated with that person.  If you delete the contact person when the leave you lose the history and if you change their email (if they shift to another organisation) you also lose the email history, so we use the custom fields to identify them as current or not current contact.

it's still not ideal as they still show in the organisation view as a contact - so if anyone has any ideas how to manage this situation I'd be glad to hear.

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited December 2020 #2
    Options

Hi @Gareth Deck 

I think for now this is the best solution. To make sure you have two contacts, the new and old one and either identify it with a custom fields or change the name of one to (archived) John Doe for example.

Not ideal, I agree... I'm going to make sure our team sees your comments so we can hopefully improve this in the future.

• Carol Stubbs
    Carol Stubbs Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

Hi,

This is coming up as an issue in my organisation too. We work in the disability sector and it can be quite transient. We don't want  duplicate contacts but we do want to keep the email history.

What is the best solution? I would appreciate to hear how best to handle.

Many thanks,

Carol

• Vera Rosado
    Vera Rosado Pipedrive Team Posts: 26 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic Pipedrive Team
    edited June 2021 #4
    Options

Hi,

This is coming up as an issue in my organisation too. We work in the disability sector and it can be quite transient. We don't want  duplicate contacts but we do want to keep the email history.

What is the best solution? I would appreciate to hear how best to handle.

Many thanks,

Carol

Hey @Carol Stubbs and I believe @Gareth Deck can also be interested in this :) 
    I believe there is a quite simple way to keep all information! I recorded a quick video showing how it works.

Video

Long story short - you can keep the previous email as a "secondary" email and add the new one as the main one and this will keep new (and previous) emails linked! 

Hope this can help you. 

• Shaun Hockey
    Shaun Hockey Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Options

I think that we should be able to flag a contact as a leaver so we can keep the contact history

• gregchicago
    gregchicago Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment Photogenic
    Options

@Vera Rosado is this still the recommended method for taking care of contacts that have moved orgs? The video link is broken.