Great discrepancy with GA

Options
Jacques Warren
Jacques Warren Member Posts: 6
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Hi. Sorry if this topic has been addressed, but I did a search and got no results.

I am interested in using Web Visitors, but the stats so far are puzzling. It reports no visitors on days we had clearly several (according to Google Analytics). Our trial ends soon and I need to know if I will use it or not. Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,078 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited December 2020 #2
    Options

Hi @Jacques Warren 

Sorry to hear about that! I'd suggest you to reach out to our support team so we can get to the bottom of this. They are available in-app or via support@pipedrive.com

If necessary they can also potentially extend you trial to figure it out.

• Priit Parmann
    Priit Parmann Pipedrive Team Posts: 43 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2020 #3
    Options

Hi @Jacques Warren,

Also take a look here about the explanation why the numbers might be different: https://support.pipedrive.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012982418-Web-Visitors-FAQ

Cheers,
    Priit

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 845
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited February 2022 #4
    Options

The reports take into account the recognized users [ no bots, search engine spiders, etc] while GA is everything.  

• Jacques Warren
    edited December 2020 #5
    Options

The reports take into account the recognized users [ no bots, search engine spiders, etc] while GA is everything.  

Thanks for your input. Actually, GA filters a lot of that stuff when properly configured. If not, how could PipeDrive be more efficient at measuring website traffic?

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 845
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2020 #6
    Options

GA is definitely more accurate than Pipedrive 

• Priit Parmann
    edited December 2020 #7
    Options

As Boris brought out, GA records everything and you need to actively maintain the filters yourself to filter those kinds of visits out.

Our Web Visitors feature is powered by Leadfeeder. They have gathered years of data, use other databases and created their own algorithms  to continuously filter out non-relevant traffic and only show identified organizations.

However, some visitors are hard or impossible to identify - e.g., someone using their mobile data, home internet connection or a anonymizing VPN to browse your site.

• Jacques Warren
    edited December 2020 #8
    Options

Yes, I know that; implementing GA is one major part of what my company does. I compare the numbers with a GA view that filters out what GA recognizes as bots. We know that it is not always in a position to identify them all. As for individuals, they would show under their ISP name, but maybe you filter visitors whose IP address is from a known ISPs. Anyway, I will keep monitoring Web Visitors, I just subscribed, and will see. I was interested because you guys give the organization's name, whereas it was taken out of GA months ago (which made GA uninteresting to us).

• Jacques Warren
    edited December 2020 #9
    Options

Well, several users in GA for the last two days, but 0 in Web Visitors. I have a hard time believing that all the traffic we get does not "qualify". OK, the jury is out :)

• Priit Parmann
    edited December 2020 #10
    Options

Interesting indeed. It depends a lot on the databases and algorithms of detecting bots, ISPs, etc and then also matching the IP with an actual organization with good certainty. E.g., there can be cases where the IP "qualifies" but it's from an "office hotel" where many companies reside, so we can't say for sure from which one the visitor came from. In the end, there will always be differences between tools like these.

• Jacques Warren
    edited February 2022 #11
    Options

UPDATE: we have a small B2B-oriented site. It had 30 visitors in the last week according to GA, 1 according to PD. I understand that most people are working from home, but most organizations listed so far in PD are ISPs anyway. I find it very hard to believe that 29 out of 30 visitors would be bots...

• Priit Parmann
    edited December 2020 #12
    Options

UPDATE: we have a small B2B-oriented site. It had 30 visitors in the last week according to GA, 1 according to PD. I understand that most people are working from home, but most organizations listed so far in PD are ISPs anyway. I find it very hard to believe that 29 out of 30 visitors would be bots...

Hi @Jacques Warren,

We looked up more specifics about your account's data to get an objective stance on this. I won't share exact numbers publicly here (we can continue the discussion in a more private channel if you'd like to get more insights into data) but in general the number of pageviews per day is quite low.

There are some cases where our tool just isn’t a great fit, and this may be one of them. Depending on the makeup of your target market, it can happen that a large part of the traffic are ISPs and other unidentified traffic. In such a case, any competitors likely also won’t be able to provide anything much of value, though I'd be interested to hear about it if that's not the case.

Cheers,
    Priit

• Jacques Warren
    edited December 2020 #13
    Options

Hi Priit.

Yes, traffic is quite low, but on the other hand, it made it easy in the past to link discussions with prospects and their visits to our site. I have installed MouseFlow, which also records more sessions than PD. Thinking of it, since most people are working from home now, it does not make much sense for us to use PD Web Visitors for the time being. Thank you for following up.