Deal moves to different organisation

Options
Kelly Borskjaer
Kelly Borskjaer Member Posts: 9
First Comment
edited June 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of issues with deals changing to different organisations when a contact moves to a new company. I walked through this problem a couple of months ago with someone from the Help team but didn't really solve it. 

For example, Joe Smith moves from ABC organisation to DEF organisation. When I look at the ABC deals, they have now been assigned to DEF organisation instead of staying with ABC.

This really mucks up our reporting when we are tracking our win/loss rates for organisations. 

I am considering creating a rule that says when a contact moves to a new company we have to:

1. add the name of the old company to their existing record (eg change Joe Smith to Joe Smith - old - ABC)
  2. create a new record called Joe Smith
  3. go into each deal that Joe was originally linked to and switch the organisation from Joe Smith - old ABC  to Joe Smith.

Has anyone found an alternative workaround? Or are we doing something wrong?

My concern is that by doing what I have proposed means that we can't really see every deal that Joe Smith has been connected to under one record (and it will cause havoc with contact syncing). We will have to know to look up Joe Smith AND Joe Smith ABC.

Cheers

Comments

• Clarissa Silvino
    Clarissa Silvino Pipedrive Team Posts: 80 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Comment Pipedrive Team
    edited February 2022 #2
    Options

Hello @Kelly Borskjaer, thank you very much for reaching out.

Indeed this would have been better if checked with the Support team as this can be properly troubleshooted. In order to help, take this example for clarity (and I hope I understood your question correctly): https://sharing.pipedrive.com/AxPA1a, I had two deals with this contact, Sirius, which was previously attached to the organization Hogwarts. Then, I changed to Grifinório - only at the contact -, but the deals that had Hogwarts linked to it before, stayed; https://sharing.pipedrive.com/MFwS92

So, if you change it on the contact person basis, then on the deal it'll continue to be the same it was previously and I believe this helps your reports?

If not, then I believe the option you have can be a good suggestion, but I would also suggest to bring this up to our team again so that we can check out.

Meanwhile, have a great day.

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

The deals do indeed follow the person if they are not disassociated with that person. However they do not become associated with the new organization. 

What may be better is to just create a totally new person record at the new organization they moved to and as for the original person record that is linked with the past deals just overwrite new contact information for the new contact associated with those past deals. 

• Kelly Borskjaer
    First Comment
    edited January 2021 #4
    Options

Hello @Kelly Borskjaer, thank you very much for reaching out.

Indeed this would have been better if checked with the Support team as this can be properly troubleshooted. In order to help, take this example for clarity (and I hope I understood your question correctly): https://sharing.pipedrive.com/AxPA1a, I had two deals with this contact, Sirius, which was previously attached to the organization Hogwarts. Then, I changed to Grifinório - only at the contact -, but the deals that had Hogwarts linked to it before, stayed; https://sharing.pipedrive.com/MFwS92

So, if you change it on the contact person basis, then on the deal it'll continue to be the same it was previously and I believe this helps your reports?

If not, then I believe the option you have can be a good suggestion, but I would also suggest to bring this up to our team again so that we can check out.

Meanwhile, have a great day.

Thanks Clarissa - i will have another play with some contacts and see what happens

• Kelly Borskjaer
    First Comment
    edited January 2021 #5
    Options

The deals do indeed follow the person if they are not disassociated with that person. However they do not become associated with the new organization. 

What may be better is to just create a totally new person record at the new organization they moved to and as for the original person record that is linked with the past deals just overwrite new contact information for the new contact associated with those past deals. 

Thanks Brad - so are you saying that if we run a report on wins and losses for that organisation, all of the deals will still register as being with that organisation even though the person is linked to a new company?

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021 #6
    Options

I didn't test it inside reports but when I moved a person to a new company as a test the deal didn't move to the new company. It only stayed associated with the person. So the report you describe should still work how you expect.