Tablets, tablets, tablets

Options
Maret Kruve
Maret Kruve Pipedrive Team Posts: 7 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
Pipedrive Team
edited May 2022 in Sales CRM #1

I noticed a trend that tablets are making a comeback; sales have increased significantly in 2020. 

So I'm wondering: who here use tablets for work? Why do you like it, when is it useful, what apps do you use? 

Comments

• Marcelo Silva
    Marcelo Silva Member Posts: 243
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited March 2021 #2
    Options

Aqui no Brasil, o tablet não pegou no meio corportivo. Pelo menos não na área comercial. 

• Dereck Breuning
    Dereck Breuning Member Posts: 49
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

I love my iPad and using it for work but most apps don't have real great support for it or doesn't make use of the platform as best as they can. Same goes for Pipedrive actually. Using it in just Safari with mouse support it doesn't work well enough to be a daily driver. The mobile app is also just a scaled up version of Pipedrive for the iPhone. I would love to see more apps really diving deep into this platform and adapting to it.

I use the Microsoft 365 apps like Outlook, Word, etc. But also Goodnotes for note taking with Apple Pencil and apps like Files, 1Passsword, LinkedIn apps, Asana and more. My daily driver is not an iPad though but a MacBook Pro.

• Maret Kruve
    Pipedrive Team
    edited March 2021 #4
    Options

I love my iPad and using it for work but most apps don't have real great support for it or doesn't make use of the platform as best as they can. Same goes for Pipedrive actually. Using it in just Safari with mouse support it doesn't work well enough to be a daily driver. The mobile app is also just a scaled up version of Pipedrive for the iPhone. I would love to see more apps really diving deep into this platform and adapting to it.

I use the Microsoft 365 apps like Outlook, Word, etc. But also Goodnotes for note taking with Apple Pencil and apps like Files, 1Passsword, LinkedIn apps, Asana and more. My daily driver is not an iPad though but a MacBook Pro.

Thanks Dereck! I agree that most apps (including Pipedrive) are not really taking full advantage of the platform.  Any thoughts what would be a killer feature/app on iPad for salespeople in your opinion? 

• Dereck Breuning
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021 #5
    Options

Full support for tablet capabilities (like mouse support, touch) would be great to have implemented. Its in a fact a small laptop like devices but a lot faster and versatile. Also I really love the markup capabilities so anything in that regard would be great to have added.  

• Brad Krause_13404
    Brad Krause_13404 Member Posts: 373
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2021 #6
    Options

@Maret Kruve 

When it comes to productivity apps on small form factor devices like phones and tablets I have it in my head that they would function much better if the apps were designed as a sort of 'closed loop' flow for completing tasks. enter info, next, it moves to the next screen. They are not made for navigating around on. 

Even scheduling something. I'm not a fan of selecting all the info in one screen or scrolling down to fill stuff out. Make it bigger and just slide to the next screen to fill the next thing out. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2021 #7
    Options

And since I have your attention, we need to be able to set the label fields on mobile in pipedrive @Maret Kruve What's up with that?

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2021 #8
    Options

The UI for adding and taking photos in Pipedrive needs improvement. Select multiple from camera roll and also take multiple without having to click the add each time. You opened a bag of worms. lol

• Dereck Breuning
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021 #9
    Options

I agree that’s great for mobile phones but tablets should have more options and you’re able to move around more. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2021 #10
    Options

Probably to an extent more than I am willing to admit personally for tablets. But even on tablets so many apps put way too much and too small of buttons and fields in a single view IMO. 

• Jeremy Gulley_11062
    Jeremy Gulley_11062 Member Posts: 80
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary Solution Provider
    edited February 2022 #11
    Options

Love this topic! We've actually switched everyone to Chromebooks recently because the UI is different and missing features. We'd love to have the smaller form factor and battery life. We'd REALLY love the cellular connection when remote without dongles but, we'd rather have a full feature suite. I find it's more important for training and development for everyone to have the "same buttons" and featureset so we're not saying "well if you're on a tablet, you do it this way". 

I think in certain industries, it can definitely be useful to have that form factor. We use touchscreen convertible chromebooks so we can use them LIKE a tablet but, they're bulky. For any outside sales, it was nice to be able to share with the customer (pictures, designs, contracts, options) and especially sign on screen. 

• Dereck Breuning
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2021 #12
    Options

Yeah you're absolutely right but I think that's due to the fact that tablets aren't really supported. Most of the time just scaled up version of the mobile phone apps. to do it right you would really need to take a closer look at how tablets are being used. So that's in between phones and desktops/laptop devices. They are also getting more capable every iteration. So it would be something like desktop light haha. To me it always frustrates when a form, button or site doesn't work correctly on a tablet though I have it in full view and it looks like its right. But when you interact things go wonky. So yeah: great support which is thoughtful is needed!

• Dereck Breuning
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021 #13
    Options

Love this topic! We've actually switched everyone to Chromebooks recently because the UI is different and missing features. We'd love to have the smaller form factor and battery life. We'd REALLY love the cellular connection when remote without dongles but, we'd rather have a full feature suite. I find it's more important for training and development for everyone to have the "same buttons" and featureset so we're not saying "well if you're on a tablet, you do it this way". 

I think in certain industries, it can definitely be useful to have that form factor. We use touchscreen convertible chromebooks so we can use them LIKE a tablet but, they're bulky. For any outside sales, it was nice to be able to share with the customer (pictures, designs, contracts, options) and especially sign on screen. 

Exactly. You should be able to do desktop light kind of tasks. Not mobile light but also not desktop heavy. Its all about full support for tablets and HOW they are used.

• Maret Kruve
    Pipedrive Team
    edited March 2021 #14
    Options

Great thread! 

@Brad Krause  Do you have any specific flow in Pipedrive's mobile app you'd see make sense in a "closed loop"? We have a RnD week coming up in the spring where we try designing ideas that are more "out there" to see if they make sense once we put them on paper too; and this could be an interesting idea to test. 

Don't mind the bag of worms! Can you elaborate on the problem with labels? Are you using iOS or Android and what are you trying to do? 

• Maret Kruve
    Pipedrive Team
    edited March 2021 #15
    Options

It seems to me that the problem with tablets in work setting is that it hasn't exactly found its place and purpose yet compared to mobile and desktop solutions. Used little bit like mobile and little bit like desktop; the form factor is superior only for few tasks like drawing, note-taking and as Jeremy pointed out: making demos for customers when meeting face-to-face. 

But I'm here hoping to be proven wrong :D

• Dereck Breuning
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021 #16
    Options

Yeah its a real in between device category. I use it mainly for casually browsing the web, watching stuff, taking notes, drawing. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2021 #17
    Options

@Maret Kruve  as far as I can tell its not possible to set the label field of a deal when creating a new deal on the mobile ios app. That's a pretty critical field for us as it defines what division the deal relates to: Landscape construction, landscape maintenance, Snow & Ice. 

Like in the case of creating a new activity in pipedrive on iOS. It throws all the fields at you to complete in one page and those fields are pretty small. I'm wondering (not saying I'm right) if it would be more user friendly to have taller fields and break it into displaying multiple screens after hitting 'next'. Or something like that. 

I mean there as to be a reason why when we go to an ATM it's a process of displaying less incomation per screen but multiple screens to complete the entry. 

Does whatever principle they used in that design apply to adding an activity in pipedrive mobile app? 

in any case I really think the fields need to be taller 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2021 #18
    Options

@Maret Kruve It would be great to attach multiple pictures from the phone camera roll, It would be great to allow for recording videos, think Loom. 

Most of our deals get attended to by an estimator that creates the proposal if we could record short clips pointing at a part of the clients property and narrate instructions in those clips they would have them as instructions in pipedrive when building the estimate. 

Ability to take multiple photos in pipedrive without having to navigate back through the add photo menu. 

Also be nice to have a preferences setting to NOT save photos to camera roll when taking pics in pipedrive. 

• Brad Krause_13404
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2021 #19
    Options

I rarely ever use a tablet with prospects. it's too clumsy. They are more difficult that mobile to enter info into when sitting in a vehicle. Tablets are better than mobile for referencing data in pipedrive though. I want to look through my open opportunities to contact.

Since working from home and I don't carry around a laptop I have considered getting a tablet specific keyboard and keeping it at the office for when I do stop in. Its easier and quicker than booting up my laptop I keep at the office in a drawer in a storage closet. At the office my laptop use is almost 100% pipedrive. 

• Greg Buckle
    Greg Buckle Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2021 #20
    Options

I am a Apple OSX and iOS fan.  Not a big fan of separate keyboard.  If you are able, buy a Macbook Air.  Much faster and way more user friendly compared to a tablet.  Also, the battery life is now around 18 hours.  Tablets have there need but a true operating system like oSX is superior.  Good thing about Apple PC's...  I will donate to you if  are currently using your devise to help out others that are homeless.

• Greg Buckle
    Greg Buckle Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2021 #21
    Options

I will donate a fairly new Macbook, and discreetly donate a check.  

• AustinRealtor
    AustinRealtor Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 2021 #22
    Options

I use my iPad 70% of the time and iMac mainly for the pipedrive actions that the ipad can't do and Photoshop.  I would favor an iPad and phone only CRM over a desktop CRM.