custom tracking domain for email delivirability

Options
Laura Houssain
Laura Houssain Member Posts: 5
First Comment

Hello,

I would like to be able to set up custom tracking domain for emails because using pipedrive domain instead of my company's can hurt email deliverability.

Thanks!

Comments

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 845
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited June 2021 #2
    Options

Are you sending lots of emails? Just wondering why this would be an issue via PD

• Laura Houssain
    Laura Houssain Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited June 2021 #3
    Options

Hello,
    I intend to send a lot of emails with Pipedrive indeed. I'm a lead gen, prospecting person.
    But I read this https://help.elasticemail.com/en/articles/2303946-what-is-a-custom-tracking-domain-and-why-is-it-important and it dawned on me that using Pipedrive tracking would actually hurt my deliverability.

• Matt_75686
    Matt_75686 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022 #4
    Options

Surely there's a way to do this? It's a key requirement these days for for email deliverability, especially if you want to use pipedrive for cold outreach. If all tracking pixels are routed through a shared IP address / domain that is identifiable as belonging to Pipedrive CRM, it kinda defeats the purpose of sending and receiving via SMTP / IMAP. It immediately identifies outgoing emails as being sent by a CRM, and therefore significantly increases the likelihood of getting flagged as SPAM.

Best practice is to alias the CRM tracking pixel domain from the email sender domain with a CNAME record in the DNS.

If I send an email directly from my mailbox with a 3rd party tracking pixel that is widely used by other marketers, my open rate falls sharply.

If I alias my tracking pixel domain as a subdomain of my own mail domain and send from the mailbox I get near perfect deliverability.

This is how it works WITHOUT a custom tracking domain even when I have SPF, DKIM and DMARC set up correctly...

Email sender domain: mail.mydomain.com :: BIG TICK from all mail providers

Tracking pixel Domain: generic-spammy-crm-tracker.salesycrm.com:: RED FLAG from many mail providers

This is how it works WITH a custom tracking domain even WITH a custom tracking domain with SPF, DKIM and DMARC all set up correctly.

Email sender domain: mail.mydomain.com :: BIG TICK from all mail providers

tracking pixel Domain: hello.mydomian.com :: BIG TICK from all mail providers

And I should add that my own nameservers reside on a low cost hostgator shared hosting.