Advanced "Multiple Choice" custom data field?

Vincent_2543
Vincent_2543 Member Posts: 9
First Comment
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Hey Pipedrivers,

I need to solve the following problem.

For the purpose of my job, I ask my customers questions about their vehicle fleet. They typically respond by saying this:

" we have 10 Vehicle A, bought in 2012, 3 Vehicle B, bought last year, ..."

I need to store this information into Pipedrive in a way that allows me to get an aggregate visibility across my customers' fleets.

I've thought about adding a Multiple Choice custom data field to the Organization card, but the MC can't handle additional info. Here's what I need:

Multiple choice + an integer + a comment

So for Company A I could have sth like

Fleet overview:

Toyota Yaris - 20 - mostly bought in 2015

Citroën 3DS - 2 - used by the 2 cofounders

Volkswagen Transporter - 4 - Two of them to be replaced by next year

I would then be able to check how many Toyota Yaris' etc. are owned by all my customers.

What do you suggest?

Thanks & regards!

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited February 2022 #2

@Vincent how many different car models do your customers work with? If it's not too many you can create a field per model of car to store it in.

Otherwise I'd say create 3 fields:
    1. Car model - autocomplete 
    2. Nr of cars - numerical
    3. Car notes - long text

You can then add them all 3 to the list view, filter on them, and with our insights reporting feature you can already run some reports on custom fields as well. 

• Vincent_2543
    First Comment
    edited April 2020 #3

@Vincent how many different car models do your customers work with? If it's not too many you can create a field per model of car to store it in.

3. Car notes - long text

You can then add them all 3 to the list view, filter on them, and with our insights reporting feature you can already run some reports on custom fields as well. 

Hi Mike! Thank you for the (very) swift reply!

How many models: 20+. That's why I'd rather not use a separate field for each. But it remains the simplest solution.

About your "3 fields" option: what if 1 company has multiple car models? In that case, with this solution, I wouldn't be able to store multiple numerical values for multiple models. ("Company XYZ has 10 Vehicle A and 15 Vehicle B" <= I guess I couldn't store that, or I'd need multiple fields?)

I think I'm going to go with creating 20+ fields. It's a pity we can't have a more advanced Multiple Choice option though :(

Thanks for your help @Mike van der Valk !

• Mike van der Valk
    edited April 2020 #4

3. Car notes - long text

Good point, you can also create one multiple option field for the car model and then use a text field instead of numerical for the second one. So you can get.

Model:
    Toyota Yaris, Volkswagen transporter

Amount:
    15, 5

Then you can always filter out for certain models still and see the nr in the second field.

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited April 2020 #5

3. Car notes - long text

The only challenge with this is that he would have to create 3x the number of columns, 3 for each set of car models.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited April 2020 #6

3. Car notes - long text

Not really right? In the first field it's just about "tagging" the model. The second one is text so can contain anything you want it to be. Perhaps I'm missing something :D

• Jan Bons
    Jan Bons Member Posts: 27
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 2022 #7

I would use the product feature to put in the model.  You could even use the brand Toyota and then a sub category for the model.

Greetz, Jan

• Mike van der Valk
    edited April 2020 #8
    Jan Bons said:

I would use the product feature to put in the model.  You could even use the brand Toyota and then a sub category for the model.

Greetz, Jan

Could work, the only problem here is that products can only be linked to deals and not to contacts. But you could create a "fake deal" with 0 value where you store it which is linked to the contact. Thanks for that thought @Jan Bons 

• Vincent_2543
    First Comment
    edited July 2022 #9

Hey @Jan Bons ,

Good job thinking out of the box! I'm currently trying out your idea and unfortunately it does have a few limitations:

• it's Organizations that are supposed to own vehicles, not Deals (what if you win a first Deal with Organisation X and move on to a second Deal with them?).
    • The Product field was clearly not designed with this usage in mind
    • When seeing my pipeline in List view, I can have Product Amount and Product Quantity columns, but nothing like "Product Name". Besides, a company may have multiple vehicle types, so displaying these on 1 row would be difficult (impossible?)

Thanks again though.

@Mike van der Valk  thank you for your suggestions too!

I'm still looking for a good way to solve my problem. If anyone else has any other clever ideas please reply to this thread!

• Mark Hooper
    Mark Hooper Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited October 2020 #10

I have the same request.  Need to store current fleet information by customer/prospect.  Information needed include: Brand, Model, Year.  Need to be able to sort/pull information based on these inputs.  If anyone has an easy solution, please let me know...