Email didn't link to a deal

Jay Wealcatch
Jay Wealcatch Member Posts: 55
5 Likes Combo Breaker First Comment Photogenic

For a variety of reasons emails seem to not get linked to deals (one example: salesman had already emailed the customer before creating the deal).

Feature suggestion: Have the ability from the deal page to "search for emails" (Ideally search through all of the deal owner's emails or at least search through his emails to the email addresses connected to the deal).

The system would pull up all un-linked emails and allow you to connect it to the deal.

The process of jumping to the email tab and searching is too cumbersome for us.

-------

Anyone having the same issue with un-linked emails?

Comments on this feature request?

4 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Filipe Portela
    Filipe Portela Posts: 19 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Comment Pipedrive Team Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited April 2020 #2

Hi Jay! 

Emails will not link to deals for two reasons:

• For one as you mentioned, that if the deal isn't created before the emails are exchanged then Pipedrive doesn't know that after the deal is created that the emails should go there, as I'm not a developer I'm not sure if this logic can be changed.
    • The second reason being that sometimes a contact person can have multiple deals under them and again Pipedrive wouldn't know to which deal each email should go to.

For the second reason there's a good workaround where you can use the deal specific BCC that can usually be found at the bottom of the deal details page and ensure that the email links directly to the correct deal. This wouldn't work if the deal wasn't created since the deal specific BCC only gets generated when the deal gets created.

I will pass the Feature suggestion to the team nonetheless and hopefully it's something we can implement :) 

• Jay Wealcatch
    edited February 2022 #3

Thanks for your reply.

Now that I think about it I like your suggestion of changing the logic. I can see how some wouldn't want this but for us the extra potential clutter of unrelated deals is worth it for the trade-off of missing emails.

Suggested feature: I would like an option in settings where I can choose to have all emails to a customer show on the deal page regardless if it was sent before the deal was created or even if there are multiple deals. Or it can be a toggle on the deal page (show all emails to this contact).

• Bert Calatz
    Bert Calatz Member Posts: 60
    First Comment
    edited December 2020 #4

Thanks for your reply.

Now that I think about it I like your suggestion of changing the logic. I can see how some wouldn't want this but for us the extra potential clutter of unrelated deals is worth it for the trade-off of missing emails.

Suggested feature: I would like an option in settings where I can choose to have all emails to a customer show on the deal page regardless if it was sent before the deal was created or even if there are multiple deals. Or it can be a toggle on the deal page (show all emails to this contact).

Hi @Jay Wealcatch 

To be curious. Are these emails that were sent from pipedrive before a deal existed? In that case it is possible to select emails without a deal and then link them.

Do you mail from G-mail? Use of the G-mail add-on. Then link the mail to the right deal. Even if there are several related deals.

Or do I not understand your question correctly?

• Jay Wealcatch
    edited April 2020 #5

Thanks for your reply.

Hey.

It's both scenarios for us:

Scenario #1 (Pre-deal creation email): Not everyone uses the gmail extension and even if they do if they are on a different computer or mobile etc. it won't work. It also requires you to remember  to link an email and many forget. Later on someone is reviewing their deal and they say "oh there is another email thread that never made it into PipeDrive"... 

Scenario #2 (Multiple deals): Salesman created two deals for this customer and when reviewing one of the deals he doesn't get reminded about all correspondence with that customer.

It's about having to remember to adjust things all the time. 

• Tobias Kunze
    Tobias Kunze Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2022 #6

This is why I hate pipedrive and why I will move off it as soon as I get the chance.

The constant, manual linking labor. The constant uncertainty whether whatever I see in a deal's email history is complete. The constant, nagging feeling that I probably shouldn't trust my CRM.

Not to mention the annoyance of having this reported countless times, only to be met with stubborn and petty "no-no-no-we-are-right-and-you-are-wrong" answers.

Here's the thing:

1. Deals are complex. Many participants. All the time. Users, Buyers, Decision Makers, Experts, you name it. They come and go. (And yes, this is the reason why the whole notion of a "main person", which pervades the UI, is not right.) I DON'T CARE IF A DEAL EXISTED BEFORE OR AFTER THAT EMAIL WAS RECEIVED. Stop dumping technical rationalizations on users. Your implementation is wrong.
    2. There are many deals. Too many to remember. As a result, IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that I can trust the information in my CRM. I need to trust that it is CORRECT and COMPLETE. A missing email because a participant somehow didn't link correctly can MAKE ME LOOK STUPID IN FRONT OF MY CUSTOMERS and can cost me the deal. That's the antithesis of what a CRM should do and should be taken as the fatal flaw that it is.

Alas, pipedrive PM and/or engineering prefer excuses such as "oh, we can't be sure that an email belongs to a deal" instead of solving this fatal flaw. As a result, I spend a chunk of my time making sure people/companies/deals are properly linked (and not duplicated—another Pipedrive disease). THIS IS WASTEFUL AND ERROR-PRONE.

And it's not like it can't be solved. Salesflare does it perfectly. You are in a deal and automatically see all people with the same email domain. Because, you know, that's what smart software does. Leave it to the user.

• Jay Wealcatch
    edited June 2020 #7

This is why I hate pipedrive and why I will move off it as soon as I get the chance.

The constant, manual linking labor. The constant uncertainty whether whatever I see in a deal's email history is complete. The constant, nagging feeling that I probably shouldn't trust my CRM.

Not to mention the annoyance of having this reported countless times, only to be met with stubborn and petty "no-no-no-we-are-right-and-you-are-wrong" answers.

Here's the thing:

1. Deals are complex. Many participants. All the time. Users, Buyers, Decision Makers, Experts, you name it. They come and go. (And yes, this is the reason why the whole notion of a "main person", which pervades the UI, is not right.) I DON'T CARE IF A DEAL EXISTED BEFORE OR AFTER THAT EMAIL WAS RECEIVED. Stop dumping technical rationalizations on users. Your implementation is wrong.
    2. There are many deals. Too many to remember. As a result, IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that I can trust the information in my CRM. I need to trust that it is CORRECT and COMPLETE. A missing email because a participant somehow didn't link correctly can MAKE ME LOOK STUPID IN FRONT OF MY CUSTOMERS and can cost me the deal. That's the antithesis of what a CRM should do and should be taken as the fatal flaw that it is.

Alas, pipedrive PM and/or engineering prefer excuses such as "oh, we can't be sure that an email belongs to a deal" instead of solving this fatal flaw. As a result, I spend a chunk of my time making sure people/companies/deals are properly linked (and not duplicated—another Pipedrive disease). THIS IS WASTEFUL AND ERROR-PRONE.

And it's not like it can't be solved. Salesflare does it perfectly. You are in a deal and automatically see all people with the same email domain. Because, you know, that's what smart software does. Leave it to the user.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Can you expand on how Salesflare manages this issue and what exactly you suggest Pipedrive do to solve some of these linking challenges?

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #8

Here's the thing:

Trivial. For any email within the same domain name as the deal company, Salesflare suggests to add it to the deal. You decide by clicking the green check mark or the red cross.

See the "Dirk Vanderlooven" in the screenshot above.

Also, unlike Pipedrive, if Salesflare notices an event on the calendar with the email of a contact that's on a deal, it automatically assigns it as an activity on the deal. Again, trivial.

It's utterly beyond me how Pipedrive ever managed not to do this. It's so  obviously the right thing to do. Even worse, I've told you for over a year to do it.

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #9

Here's the thing:

Look, it's not rocket science. There are companies, people and deals. Companies have domains, people email addresses within that domain. Deals connect companies and people. When I create a deal and pick a company, I should see all people in that domain so I can select whom I want on the deal. Alternatively, if I pick a person, I should see all companies that are connected to that person. Trivial. If any of these don't exist, I create it. Then, everything is automatically linked moving forward. New people pop up on CC? Show them in the deal as potential candidates to add. New events popping up in the calendar that match the deal domain? Either add them automatically (allowing the user to unlink them) or offer them to the user for linking. Again, trivial.

This takes exactly half a day to implement and will turn Pipedrive from a crappy product that doesn't even get the basics of a CRM right (tracking deals correctly and completely) into a decent one.

You are welcome.

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited February 2022 #10

Hi @Tobias Kunze, @Jay Wealcatch and others reading this!

We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for so much detail as to what Pipedrive needs to do in your eyes to avoid missing data on the deal which is essential to making the sale.

I wish I could, but unfortunately I can not promise you right away what will happen in the product with these suggestions. What I can promise (and have already done so) is that I will share this post and all comments in a thread with the entire product team in Pipedrive to hopefully spark a discussion that will lead eventually to improvements in the product. 
    My apologies for the current situation and how this affects your workflow in the product. I personally really like your suggestions Tobias and Jay and I truly hope we'll improve in this area and that sharing your comments with the team sparks this.

• Jay Wealcatch
    edited June 2020 #11

Here's the thing:

I have to say what you are saying makes too much sense that it makes me curious as to what the other perspective is.

@Mike van der Valk  Is it really something that can't be explained a bit here to build confidence in your product? 

If it was indeed some sort of oversight/unfinished feature we would want to know when we can expect to see this coming. 

I personally have never used any other CRM besides PipeDrive. Overall I am quite happy mainly because of the great UI and the excellent customer service and help center. I see how it has made a big difference in our ability to track and boost sales.

I do believe that even with this seeming flaw PipeDrive is more advanced than most CRMs BUT as time goes on I do need to know that the focus will remain on key sales focused features and making sure that lead and deal tracking is fully built out.

Some of these feature requests are hard to understand why they need to be part of a long term "roadmap" as opposed to just implemented in the next 30 days.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited June 2020 #12

Here's the thing:

Hi @Jay Wealcatch 

Thanks for your comments. I need to check with the team internally if there can be a more in depth explanation. I hope you understand as specific area is not something I'm daily working on, that I can't give you this answer right of the bat here.

What I can tell you about roadmap planning is that we always try to plan ahead and follow a vision to focus on certain areas. In some case that can be let's look at this area again in some months while we improve other areas (not saying that's the case here, just giving an example). So with that in mind it can be that a team is currently working on implementing some change and can't immediately switch to deliver something else in the next 30 days. Plus implementing a new change can get started sometimes quickly but the whole project to deliver it can take a longer time as well.

I realise my answers are a little vague but I hope you understand that suggestions/ideas need some time to be assessed and weighed against other ideas and plans that were there already. Nonetheless, I can guarantee you as I mentioned in the previous post that we'll be discussing this internally and I truly hope something great will come out of that.

Thanks for sharing!

• Shobhit Gaur
    Shobhit Gaur Member Posts: 127
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary Integration Partner
    edited June 2020 #13

We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for so much detail as to what Pipedrive needs to do in your eyes to avoid missing data on the deal which is essential to making the sale.

I wish I could, but unfortunately I can not promise you right away what will happen in the product with these suggestions. What I can promise (and have already done so) is that I will share this post and all comments in a thread with the entire product team in Pipedrive to hopefully spark a discussion that will lead eventually to improvements in the product. 
    My apologies for the current situation and how this affects your workflow in the product. I personally really like your suggestions Tobias and Jay and I truly hope we'll improve in this area and that sharing your comments with the team sparks this.

Well said @Mike van der Valk 

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #14

Just to illustrate, and because it is a daily fight with Pipedrive, consider a deal D with participants x and y. Company is C and all emails are in the company domain E. I receive an email from x with y and a new person, z, on cc: "hey, meet z, who's going to do …".

Here is what needs to happen today to ensure Pipedrive tracks this new step in the evolution of the deal:

1. I need to remember that I need to stop everything I'm doing, kill the flow and repair Pipedrive.
    2. Pull up the Mail tab.
    3. Find the Email with z on cc.
    4. Click the email.
    5. Find z in the address block at the top right.
    6. Click "Create contact".
    7. Correct the name if it is in "last, first" format
    8. Watch out that Pipedrive doesn't create a new Organization because it doesn't realize that all vw.com emails belong to Volkswagen, not VW.
    9. Watch out that Pipedrive doesn't still create a "NEW" Organization (which it does, randomly, about 50% of the time, leading to more merge tasks).
    10. Fill in the rest.
    11. Click "Save".
    12. Click "Find a deal", even though this should be automatic.
    13. Type in the deal name to search for.
    14. Remember that somehow "linking" that person to a deal does not work reliably and has to be done from the deal side as well.
    15. Navigate to the deal.
    16. Reload the deal to make sure there is no stale information.
    17. Verify that z is, in fact, not in "Participants".
    18. Click the "+" button.
    19. Wait for the list to populate.
    20. Type in the name of z.
    21. Wait for the name to be found.
    22. Click the name (because, if not, a new person with that same name is created).
    23. Click "Close".
    24. Hate Pipedrive for killing my flow and wasting 15 minutes of my time.

If you have 100 deals and 10 of such changes coming in every day, Pipedrive costs you 33% of your work day.

Clearly, your PMs have never given this any thought and, likewise clearly, nobody on the inside has ever tried this or they'd hate Pipedrive as well.

• Tobias Kunze
    edited April 2022 #15

While I'm at it, this is what happens when you convert a "Lead" to a "Deal": the person on the lead, whom you've just specified as the contact on the new deal is not linked to the deal. Sic. Reliably, as in "can reproduce every single time".

So, a similar click safari as above has to be carried out. Go to Mail, find mail, click on "People in conversation", then "Link to a deal", where the deal I just created with that very person as "primary" contact (again, a silly concept that just creates extra management burden on the user) is now "suggested".

People: get permission from management to grab 5 of your best engineers for a month and fix this shit. Don't just patch this or that issue. This feels like a good chunk of the logic around your data model is simply broken.

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #16

It's even worse than I thought: the person on the lead that I just made the "primary contact" on the deal and whom I just confirmed via the Mail tab to, yes, absolutely, please link to the deal, is, even after this insane click safari, still only half linked.

Why? Well, this person has two email addresses: first.last@company.com and  first@company.com.  Of course, Pipedrive knows about both. But somehow Pipedrive "thinks" it's OK to link only emails to one of them, so it's round 2 for me on the click safari front: find an email with that other address and link that email to the deal as well.

Let me say this again: THIS LINKING MAKES PIPEDRIVE WORTHLESS. If I ever fail to pay 1000% attention to all these bugs, my CRM will be wrong and I will lose deals because of it.

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #17

More fun. One deal, one person. Person is primary person for the deal, yet is not "linked".

I am starting to think you don't have a PM at all. This would typically only happen if your engineers code whatever they want, without product manager supervision.

• Tobias Kunze
    edited June 2020 #18

The fun does not end.

This guy is known to pipedrive, listed as the "main" contact on my deal, and shows as being on that deal on his contact page. Yet, magically, his emails are not in the deal.

Guys, I'm resorting to profanity here BECAUSE I'VE REPORTED THIS FOR OVER A YEAR only to hear "well, our engineers say that's how it's supposed to work".

I am pissed that I am trapped in Pipedrive and think you should pay a consultancy to migrate me off this tool.

And don't tell me you don't agree that this product doesn't work.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited June 2021 #19

Hi @Tobias Kunze 

Thank you for all your detailed explanations and comments where things should be improved. I removed some profane words from the comments to make sure they don't violate the community guidelines. However, I've made sure your message is still loud and clear.

At Pipedrive we have several teams working daily on improving existing pieces of the product and adding new highly anticipated requests. I do see however, that the points you bring up belong to areas we can improve on and need some love from our teams.

I mentioned yesterday that I will do my best to spark a discussion in our product team about potentially re-prioritising some of our efforts. Today I shared this thread and all your comments with all our product managers and Pipedrive and I hope to spark this discussion with it. 

I truly hope the outcome of this is to give this area in Pipedrive the love it deserves. I've also shared your comments to the teams about seeming bugs in the experience.

I'm sorry that I can not tell you here from my position that we'll start work on this tomorrow but I will do my best to steer our team into the direction to improve these areas. Have a great day, and in case you see more potential areas to improve please do let us know. 🙏

• Tobias Kunze
    edited February 2022 #20

Perfect. "Loud and clear" is what's needed here.

• Colin de Vries
    Colin de Vries Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited January 2021 #21

Perfect. "Loud and clear" is what's needed here.

Hi Tobias, i feel your pain..

You mentioned salesflair. Why did you move from salesflair to pipedrive?

• Till Haug
    Till Haug Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #22

Hi @Mike van der Valk 

Do you have any update regarding that topic?

I'm struggling with the same thing. We have setup an automation using Zapier from a campaigning solution

1. Campaigning tool sends mail using Gmail 
    2. Zapier creates deal + contact in Pipedrive 
    3. Pipedrive should link sent mail automatically to the deal  

Currently this process only works in 10% of the cases, probably because the deal gets created a few seconds / minutes after pipedrive registers the mail.

This creates a big overhead for us manually linking emails to deals over and over.

Is there a way how Pipedrive can link mails to deals retroactively?

• Mike van der Valk
    edited May 2021 #23
    Till Haug said:

Hi @Mike van der Valk 

Do you have any update regarding that topic?

I'm struggling with the same thing. We have setup an automation using Zapier from a campaigning solution

1. Campaigning tool sends mail using Gmail 
    2. Zapier creates deal + contact in Pipedrive 
    3. Pipedrive should link sent mail automatically to the deal  

Currently this process only works in 10% of the cases, probably because the deal gets created a few seconds / minutes after pipedrive registers the mail.

This creates a big overhead for us manually linking emails to deals over and over.

Is there a way how Pipedrive can link mails to deals retroactively?

Hi @Till Haug 

It's indeed probably that the deal arrives in Pipedrive first. Only solution for now is to manually link it afterwards from the inbox.

Good news through, Pipedrive is working on a Campaigns solution within our app that should solve your solution. It's probably a few months away from release right now.

• Brian McLoughlin
    Brian McLoughlin Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

It's 2023, and this problem has not been addressed. emails simply don't populate in the deals area. campaigns is not the answer. How about if you give me a setting that makes "deal activities" and "organization activities" the same? Most of your users are not large organzations with multiple teams on multiples.

Mike, you've been at PipeDrive for over 7 years now. Will this product get better?

• SamSam
    SamSam Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

Has this problem been fixed? Just getting started with PD and was really amazed UNTIL I found that E-Mail Sync in the single deals works so bad... It would be so EASY AND USEFUL to simply show ALL MAILS related to the contact person and all participants... Are there any other CRMs out there which work better with regards to mail sync?

• DanJ
    DanJ Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary

I've just found this thread and we've been struggling with exactly the problem @Tobias Kunze describes. I'm going to guess nothing has been done about this?