Linking products to organizations

Stephen Bradley
Stephen Bradley Member Posts: 2

Hi there,

Firstly let me saying having played around with Dynamics365. Salesforce, and Hubspot, Pipedrive is **chef's kiss**. So kudos on making a fantastic product that gets to the point without all of the learning debt, while still keeping it incredibly feature-rich.

My question is, is anyone using Pipedrive to drive any kind of competitive analysis where they are:

• Adding competitors to their Organizations list?
  • Linking products to organizations (both competitors and potential customers) in order to quickly track and look up which competing / comparable product offerings are either used by a prospective customer or are offered by a competitor?

It looks like we can associate Products with other things in one of two ways:

1. In Deals
  2. To Participants, which just point back to deals

So it kind of looks like the "right" way to do this would be to create a dummy "deal" for each organization you're tracking like that, to maintain that data. Does this seem like the right approach? We're a pretty data centric organization so I am not keen on the idea of creating a custom field with multiple options unless it's absolutely necessary.

Of course the ideal scenario would be if Product could be a custom field on Organizations, as a multi-select, but that doesn't appear to be an option... or is it?

Thanks in advance,

-Stephen

1 votes

· Last Updated -

Comments

• Stephen Bradley
    Stephen Bradley Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022 #2

Hi there,

I may have answered my own question, but here's how I think I'm going to handle this:

Create competitors as organizations, with a custom field specifying that they are a competitor. Now we have a place where we can track information about competitors

Create competitors' products as products, with a custom field specifying it's a a competing product. Now we have a place where we can track information about their products.

Associate competitor organizations with those products using a custom field. While you can't create a custom Product field on an Organization, you can create a custom Organization field on Product. So this is the simplest way to do it.

Lastly, I'll break down all of the various products' 'features' into a multi-select list that I can apply to both our products as well as competing products. That way we can do something like a fuzzy match on which of our products compete with which of someone else's, and get a sense as to the competition's product coverage vs our own.

This way when we serve all of this up via the API to an analytics tool, we should be able to link everything up satisfactorily.

-Stephen

• Ch_00
    Ch_00 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi Stephen,

How did this solution go? Did you find another one in the meantime?

Thanks in advance