Will merging contacts impact any existing deals?

Laura Martin
Laura Martin Member Posts: 14
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2022 in Sales CRM #1

Before merging contacts I want to make sure I"m not creating a nightmare. 

1. Will merging contacts impact the Contact person/Organization associated with any deals?
    1. For instance, Susie Smith - ABC Company is connected to 4 deals.Then Susie moved to XYS Organization  where she is contact with another 5 deals. 
    2.  If I merge Susie Smith into a single contact, will the 9 deals with which she is associated be unaffected? 4 of them still connected to ABC, and the other 5 associated with XYZ?

Comments

• Lucas MAGNE
    Lucas MAGNE Member Posts: 163
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2022 #2

Hi Laura,

When you will merge the both contact, it will be the same contact on the 9 deals BUT on 4 deals it will be ABC company and on the other 5 XYZ company.

However, Susie Smith will only be linked to one organization (due to merger)

• John Stewart_78081
    John Stewart_78081 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2022 #3

Hi Laura,

When you will merge the both contact, it will be the same contact on the 9 deals BUT on 4 deals it will be ABC company and on the other 5 XYZ company.

However, Susie Smith will only be linked to one organization (due to merger)

I've had this before. Does that mean the best practice is to leave them unmerged and treat the person + organization as the unique entity, instead of just the person? Then we'd essentially need a duplicate of the person to AVOID having a duplicate :) I would want the person and organization information that's linked to the deal STAY the relevant information at the time of that deal, so would prefer two versions of Susie, one at her past company, and one at her current company, but then it's harder to see Susie's entire buying history. Would love to know your thoughts.