Send data from contact to deal

Brad Cohen
Brad Cohen Member Posts: 21
5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
edited July 2022 in Workflow Automation #1

I would like to create an automation that sends info from a deal's (or lead) main contact to the deal itself. 

We collect UTM data on contacts and need that to be associated to the deal (or lead) itself. I am having an issue getting this to happen in automation. 

Has anyone successfully gotten this to work?

Comments

• Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz)
    Amit Sarda (AmitSarda.xyz) Member Posts: 1,541
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited May 2022 #2

You can definitely do this using Make/Integromat.

Try setting it up with Pipedrive automation, but because it is hard to map multiselect, single option fields, I would assume that it is difficult. For text-based custom fields, it could work.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Amit Sarda

Pipedrive Consulting | WhatsApp | Email | Community

• Brad Cohen
    edited May 2022 #3

Thanks, Amit. The fields I am trying to map are just text-based but I do not see any options to do this in PD automation. Am I missing something simple that would allow this?

I will look into Make now but would prefer not to pay for another service at this point. 

edited May 2022 #4

Thanks, Amit. The fields I am trying to map are just text-based but I do not see any options to do this in PD automation. Am I missing something simple that would allow this?

I will look into Make now but would prefer not to pay for another service at this point. 

You have to add a dummy step to pull the associated person record.

• Brad Cohen
    edited May 2022 #5

Thank you. For the life of me, I cannot figure this one out. I have set up tons of automation here and in zapier and pipedrive just does not seem to want to comply. 

Do you have any screen shots of a similar automation?

• Brad Cohen
    edited May 2022 #6

You can see here that the dummy step is to update the person field and then in the next step to update the deal fields I get no option to pull from step 3
  • Brad Cohen
    edited May 2022 #7

hold up. think I found the issue. Will report back

• Akhil_Supermeet.ai
    Akhil_Supermeet.ai Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 2022 #8

Hi Brad,

Would you mind explaining the use case? I see that Pipedrive doesn't have UTM as a standard field and I've been using it with other CRMs in the past.

Wouldn't be better to create deals with distinct UTM params than a contact? Because a single person can land in your form/website via different marketing campaigns with different UTMs. Updating the contact's UTM each time wouldn't be a good idea then. A better solution would be to create a deal with a UTM each time.

• Brad Cohen
    edited May 2022 #9
    Akhil said:

Hi Brad,

Would you mind explaining the use case? I see that Pipedrive doesn't have UTM as a standard field and I've been using it with other CRMs in the past.

Wouldn't be better to create deals with distinct UTM params than a contact? Because a single person can land in your form/website via different marketing campaigns with different UTMs. Updating the contact's UTM each time wouldn't be a good idea then. A better solution would be to create a deal with a UTM each time.

Hi Akhil

We are looking to understand what ads lead to won deals and then the lifetime value of that particular client. Our clients do not really come back in the future to buy a new product. We are an educational service and the product is a monthly class. 

I agree the info is better to be a part of the deal and thus why we are trying to move the UTM data we collect from a custom javascript and Outfunnel. Since Gravity forms and Outfunnel only really can send the data over to a customer and not a deal we are stuck having to do this automation to transfer the info

Now, the new hitch in the plan is that Pipedrive does not allow insights on textfields?!?! So we cannot even create insights on the ad details we get from the UTM data. We are stuck just outputting excel files. 

edited May 2022 #10
    Akhil said:

Hi Brad,

Hi Brad,

If you have limited options for the UTM parameters, you can change their data type to Single Option fields, which can be used in insights. However, for every new possible option for the UTM parameters, you will have to first update the choices in the single option fields so they are always populated.

You can also set up a neat data pipeline using tools like Coupler. Coupler can periodically dump your data to a destination like Google Sheets. You can build dashboards using Tableau or Google Data Studio that are connected with these data dumps. They will always show the most recent data which is a function of the frequency of updates you have defined.

Here's an example of one such dashboard I have build using Tableau and data pipelines: https://bit.ly/ioradtableau

Best,

Amit