Would you find it helpful to have multiple organizations tied to a contact?

Erik Christensen
Erik Christensen Member Posts: 41
5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
Would you find it helpful to have multiple organizations tied to a contact?
38 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Martins Jansons
    Martins Jansons Member Posts: 1
    First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2022 #2

I have clients with multiple companies, but it isn't possible to add the same person to multiple organizations. Related organizations option does not fulfil the necessary function because each organisation has its own deal.

• Mike van der Valk
    Mike van der Valk Pipedrive Team Posts: 3,089 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 LOLs First Answer
    edited July 2023 #3

We're currently investigating how we can tailor the program better when it comes to account/contact management, I'll share this feedback with the team :) 

• Dan Diamond, MD
    Dan Diamond, MD Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #4

It would be helpful to be able to link a person to the organization they work for and the association the are involved with. I frequently get calls from the chairman of the conference committee but they actually work for a member organization. Please upvote if you'd like this functionality.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2023 #5

Hi @Dan Diamond, MD thanks for sharing! Hopefully we'll get lots of votes.

In the mean time you can best create an "organization type" of custom field under the contact persons: https://support.pipedrive.com/hc/en-us/articles/207228075-Custom-Fields

You can call this for example "second org" then you can save a second org on the contact person details.

• Jan Bons
    Jan Bons Member Posts: 27
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2023 #6

I solved the problem by making a related organization. The paying customer is first (ie Intermediair) the End customer is related.

I also created fields like 

"Second Organization" if they work for two org.

Organization T-1 : If they change to another org. I keep history

Organization T-2 : If they change twice :)

• Jan Visser_342
    Jan Visser_342 Member Posts: 70
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #7

Isn't this something you can resolve fairly easy with a custom field with a pick-list that allows you to select multiple values?  Then via person filtered lists, you can slice and dice as much as you want. 

• Bert Calatz
    Bert Calatz Member Posts: 60
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #8

Creative solutions here. Nice to read.

We had a challenge with companies that carry different brands. The customer is the company, but you deal with the brands. So how to manage that?

What we have done is create a custom field type organization in an organization. We have also created the brands as an organization and linked them to the 'mother'. We have also labeled the brands as brands.

You can now search for the brand, find it and immediately see who the mother is.

• William Adams
    William Adams Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2022 #9

We have a few situations where a person belongs to two organizations. I would love to see a feature that allows for that. Right now we are using tags and profiles to note the connection to two organizations, but because we need to have deals active for both organizations and the person is the same, it would be so helpful to be able to assign one person to two or more orgs.

• Marco Govoni
    Marco Govoni Member Posts: 149
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited July 2023 #10

Me too :-)

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2023 #11

Hi @William Adams ,

Not the perfect solution perhaps but have you tried creating an organization type custom field under the persons tab? This way you can enter a second organization on the profile of your contact person?

Again not perfect but might help you already. Besides that I've passed on your suggestion to our team!

• Johannes Nicknig
    Johannes Nicknig Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #12

Add support for relation between contacts and multiple companies would be great. And: Add the ability to define the contacts function on company-level. So for example:

John Smith works as and belongs to

• Head of Sales >> Company A
    • Founder >> Company B
    • Business Angel >> Company C
  • Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 847
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited July 2022 #13

Definitely! 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2020 #14
    Hi @Erik Christensen !

We'd like to know a bit more about your use case. Can you give us an example of a situation where this would have been useful for you? Thanks!
  • Erik Christensen
    edited July 2020 #15
    I have contacts who are part of more than one org.
    I need to be able link deals to those orgs, but if a contact can only have one org, it's kinda useless.
  • Woods Denny
    Woods Denny Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #16

This is an absolute must have... how can get this working!  We have the same problem, but for management of stores with multiple rooftops! 

John Smith works as and belongs to:

• Wholesale Manager >> Dealership A
    • Wholesale Manager >> Dealership B
    • Used car manager >> Dealership C
  • Woods Denny
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #17

We're currently investigating how we can tailor the program better when it comes to account/contact management, I'll share this feedback with the team :) 

Any updates or work arounds, this is going to kill us, as we just moved all sales teams to pipedrive.  Wish i would have known this before hand.

• Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2023 #18

Hi @Woods Denny the most common workaround that works in most (not all) use cases is to create extra custom fields under your contact people. An organization type of field for example called "second org" if you need more you can also create third, etc.. and in that field you enter the second org that contact person is related to. The field will contain a link to the organization and a search field as well when you pick "organization type" of custom field.

• Woods Denny
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #19

@Mike van der Valk Thanks for the tip.  Does mean, that when working a deal with John Smith, who is attached to Business-1, and has a "second org" of Business-2, all of the notes and activities for both businesses show up? or just the one in the current deal? How does that roll up into the activity feed for deals?

• Inês Batata
    edited July 2020 #20
    Thank you for clarifying, @Erik Christensen .

What you can do is create a Person type of custom field in the secondary Org and link the Person there. Then you can link the deal to the Org, and the Person to the deal (manually).

I can see how being able to link a Person to multiple Organizations would be useful and I've sent that suggestion internally to our team for their consideration.
  • Josh Monifi
    Josh Monifi Member Posts: 89
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited October 2020 #21

Absolutely! It's very common in our industry and others for one individual to be associated with multiple facilities (organizations in Pipedrive). For example, they may be an energy manager for all west coast facilities. 

• Elena Kazarov
    Elena Kazarov Member Posts: 18
    First Comment
    edited September 2020 #22
    And, if this isn't obvious, include ability to go other way: tie a single contact TO multiple organizations (example: a regional manager that oversees multiple sites).
  • Mike van der Valk
    edited July 2023 #23

Hi @Woods Denny 
    Activities, notes, etc.. are only reflected on items linked by default fields. Unfortunately it won't show up on the second org since this resides in a custom field.

Remember also the following set-up

• A deal is the first item and can only link to one main person and org by default
    • A person is the second item that can link to multiple deals but only one person by default
    • An org is the third item which can link to multiple deals and multiple persons

Because of this anything you add in the deal will auto reflect in the other two items. Anything added to the person will auto reflect in the org, but not in the deal (since there might be multiple). And anything added in the org can't reflect in the person and deal by default since there can be more of them linked to it. This video in our Academy will explain it probably even better: https://www.pipedrive.com/en/academy/courses/get-started-with-the-basics/chapters/how-your-data-is-organized

• Erik Christensen
    edited July 2020 #24
    @Inês Batata I understand I am able to do this by using a custom field, but as Elena mentioned in her post above, it would be helpful to have a contact connected to Multiple Organizations. I have clients who have multiple companies and need to track against a particular company.
  • Jay Graves
    Jay Graves Member Posts: 14
    5 Likes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2023 #25

I'd like to throw in a vote for this too. This is particularly important as we deal with agencies that can support 10+ of our clients. Right now we have 10 copies of the same person/email and it won't scale. Makes true duplicate detection nearly impossible. Thanks in advance for considering.

• Andreas Mose
    Andreas Mose Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited December 2021 #26

I find this relevant for two use cases in particular:

1. External service providers that have contracts with multiple accounts.
    2. Some contacts (e.g. investors) are involved with multiple accounts as they are part of a portfolio.
  • Dmitry Gudkov
    Dmitry Gudkov Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2020 #27
    I would love to have a slightly different feature - the ability to "promote" a contact from one organization to another without losing the history of employment. Sometimes our contacts leave one organization and get hired by another but they remain our sales contacts. Currently, it's not possible to see if the contact person previously worked in another organization and that is inconvenient.
  • Inês Batata
    edited August 2020 #28
    @Dmitry Gudkov Right now a possible workaround would be to create a custom field in the Person for "Previous Company" and "Previous Role".
  • John Robert Cobbold
    John Robert Cobbold Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited July 2023 #29

+1 a person needs to be able to be working at different organization within our PD

• Haley Peloquin
    Haley Peloquin Member Posts: 9
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2023 #30

Hello! Looking for guidance - our company works with agencies where one account contact would manage multiple organizations. For example an advertising agency where we have the organization as 'Multi-Media Inc' but we want them linked to the 'Nike' organization - do we have to create multiple 'people' such as Amy Hunt with Multi-Media, Amy Hunt with Nike, Amy Hunt with Gucci? If we change Amy Hunt to Nike..her Gucci will not link anymore.. etc etc. making us create multiple Amy Hunt's.

Thank you!

• Inês Batata
    edited July 2023 #31

Hi @Haley Peloquin !

This is a question that comes up every now and then and I can see you've already seen the answers here ;)

Unfortunately at the time there's no way to achieve what you're looking for without a downside like the ones mentioned in the link above.

I understand this is a hassle for users in your situation and we appreciate your feedback. I've made sure it reaches our team for consideration in future developments. Unfortunately with many customers and requests and with limited development resources we need to prioritise and make choices what to deliver first. Thank you for your understanding!

Speaking of which, here are some pro tips to stay on top of what’s coming down the line: