Transfer contacts to leads.

the Design Agency
the Design Agency Member Posts: 1
edited July 2023 in Sales CRM #1

Hello there. I created deals on the contacts i have in pipedrive but they are actualy leads. This was done before the Leads function. How can i transfer the contacts from the deals to leads, WITHOUT import and the possibility of creating dupicate contacts?

Comments

• Boris Tsibelman
    Boris Tsibelman Member Posts: 847
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020 #2

You can export the contacts and import them as leads.

This would not create duplicates. 

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,077 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2020 #3

Hi there @the Design Agency !

Like @Boris Tsibelman suggested, you can export and them import your contacts as Leads. I can also tell you that we're working on the option to convert your Deals into Leads in the future, so stay tuned! 🚀

• Serge Elkiner
    Serge Elkiner Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2022 #4

Hello! I imported  my leads but they show up under contacts. I thought I had done something wrong, so I deleted the leads and imported them again under leads. However, they still can only be found under contacts. help please! :) 

• Inês Batata
    edited September 2020 #5

Hello! I imported  my leads but they show up under contacts. I thought I had done something wrong, so I deleted the leads and imported them again under leads. However, they still can only be found under contacts. help please! :) 

Hi @Serge Elkiner !

When you want to "correct" an import by importing a file again, it's always fundamental to "revert" the previous incorrect import: How to revert an import?

If the button to revert import is no longer available, please reach out to our Support team and they can reactivate it for you: How can I contact Pipedrive Support?

Good luck! 🚀

• Ali Hitch
    Ali Hitch Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022 #6

This is confusing.

Are LEADS, DEALS and CONTACTS entirely separate databases from each other that can't be linked?

I'm getting confused why a contact isn't automatically added as a lead, or can't at least be 'linked' to the lead system, rather can creating a whole new entry into the separated lead system/database.

Could you let me know the reason behind making leads, deals and contacts entirely separate from each other so that I can better understand how to use the system?

• Inês Batata
    edited September 2020 #7
    Ali Hitch said:

This is confusing.

Are LEADS, DEALS and CONTACTS entirely separate databases from each other that can't be linked?

I'm getting confused why a contact isn't automatically added as a lead, or can't at least be 'linked' to the lead system, rather can creating a whole new entry into the separated lead system/database.

Could you let me know the reason behind making leads, deals and contacts entirely separate from each other so that I can better understand how to use the system?

Hi @Ali Hitch , let's see if I can help you become less confused :)

Leads, Contacts and Deals are independent items in Pipedrive that you can connect together (like you do with Deals, People and Organizations). 

As of 2 weeks ago, we've made it so that all Leads must have a Contact linked to them (Person or Organization, brand new or already existing) - learn more about this here. We did exactly because it was becoming confusing to our users to have some contacts that existed as Leads but not in their Contacts list so I think you'll appreciate this improvement.

The reason why they're separate entities is because Leads are what is often referred to as "prospects": something that has the potential to become a deal but it's too early on, so you keep it as a Lead and can convert it to a Deal, or "freeze it for later" and archive it without losing the data you collected about it. 

It's the contacts get from networking at at industry event, for example, or news you've been reading/hearing that are hinting you something about a certain company but you still want to do some detective work about it before committing it to the system as a Deal that is in process already.

I hope that helped! 🙏

You can learn all about how Leads work and how to make the best of them in our Knowledge Base and in our Academy.