Assign Roles to Participants + Automation

Options
Bobby Welch
Bobby Welch Member Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment

We have participants that can perform different roles on different deals.  Being able to assign and view a role that they play in this specific deal would be really useful.

Updating participants (according to their role) on a deal takes a lot of our time.  Being able to set some automation for tasks, texts and emails so that all participants in a deal could be better tracked, updated and worked with would help a ton.  I know that texting and emailing may be sent to a third party for execution - I'm talking about the need for the triggers, identification of role and other things that would be needed to send automation requests to the third party marketplace vendor.

Comments

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2022 #2
    Options

Hi @Bobby Welch !

Instead of listing these people as participants I suggest creating Person-type custom fields in your deals (you can even name them after the type of participation that person will have) and fill in your participants there.

This will allow you to create automations in which you can assign an activity or the sending of an email to a certain participant (which is variable), as these custom fields are also eligible in automations. 

The emailing can be done using Pipedrive itself (you can even use email templates in the automation). As for Text messaging, I would suggest using one of the integrations we offer in our marketplace to make Pipedrive talk to the other platform you're using, take a look here.

Hope that helped, should make your life easier! 🚀

• Bobby Welch
    Bobby Welch Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2020 #3
    Options

Hi @Bobby Welch !

Instead of listing these people as participants I suggest creating Person-type custom fields in your deals (you can even name them after the type of participation that person will have) and fill in your participants there.

This will allow you to create automations in which you can assign an activity or the sending of an email to a certain participant (which is variable), as these custom fields are also eligible in automations. 

The emailing can be done using Pipedrive itself (you can even use email templates in the automation). As for Text messaging, I would suggest using one of the integrations we offer in our marketplace to make Pipedrive talk to the other platform you're using, take a look here.

Hi Inês and thank you.

I did end up making the person-type field in some custom fields.  We often email or text them, but I'm not following how I'd get the automation to recognize the mobile or email of the person linked in that custom field.  Is there something on that specifically I could read up on?  

Many thanks!

• Inês Batata
    Inês Batata Posts: 2,069 PIPEDRIVE TEAM
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2020 #4
    Options

Hi @Bobby Welch !

Hi @Bobby Welch  - I'm sorry but I made a mistake when I first tested it in my account and answered you. Creating the person-type custom fields will allow you to include them in the body of the email template (by way of using brackets), but unfortunately not as recipients, which is your end goal I believe. My apologies for this, I didn't mean to mislead you and was happy I thought I had found a solution for you.

In the meantime, I've spoken to the Product Manager of Automations and what you're trying to do is something the team has considered along with supporting a wider range of fields in Automations. Unfortunately I can't make any promises at the moment. As priorities and resource allocations for development have to be distributed and unfortunately not everything can be built or at least built in the near future. That being said, we appreciate your input and use it to give our teams thinking points to be considered in the future.

Once again, thank you for your patience and understanding. 🙌

• Jazmin Poyser
    Jazmin Poyser Member Posts: 21
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited November 2021 #5
    Options

Hi, I believe this thread is aligned with my use case and my feature request... 

I was talking with the support team about 'Roles' and assigning Pipedrive users to Roles, that can then be used in automations that create an Activity (we have 100's of these set up..). So that the assigned person in the automated Activity is a Role rather than a Person.   

The reason for this is to avoid the huge manual effort of adjusting Activity assignee's when a person leaves the company, or joins the company... instead, they could be added or removed from the Role in Company Settings...  is this already here in a workaround I don't know about?  Or is it in the dev pipeline?

• Jazmin Poyser
    Jazmin Poyser Member Posts: 21
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

Hi @Bobby Welch !

Hi @Inês Batata - just following up about this thread and my message above RE Roles and Automations.  

We have team members changing and A LOT of automations and Activity assignees set up to the departing person.  Before I take on the huge manual task of changing these over to the new hire I wanted to check if there is SOME way of avoiding this manual effort, using a custom field or are Roles for Automations in the dev pipeline??

Appreciate any assistance. I know the dev roadmap likely has a long long list of feature requests.

Regards,

Jazmin

• Eric A Gombrich
    Eric A Gombrich Member Posts: 9
    First Comment
    edited February 2022 #7
    Options

The concept of a PERSON having a different ROLE in different DEALS is a classic enterprise, B2B sales concept, arguably tracing its roots back to Miller Heiman's Strategic Selling in the late 70s / early 80s.  

Even beyond automations, its an important factor in managing a deal.  For example, "Have I identified the Economic Buyer for this Deal?"  (Economic Buyer is a classic Miller Heiman role).  If not, there should be activities associated with doing so.

It would be optimal if there were the ability to add a Role to the "join" between the Person and the Deal defined as "Participants" such that we could manage all of this. I'm a bit surprised Pipedrive can't accommodate this.